Tell me how Roku works

acurry417

Mommy to a beautiful princess
So my husband and I are looking to try to cut our $170 month cable bundle. I saw the Roku mentioned here. Can you tell me how it works? What are some pros and cons? I know we need to have Internet to get it but that is about all I know. How do you get shows? Do you need anything else? I see netflix and Hulu and it must go along with this as well. Thanks for any feedback!

The Roku has lots of "channels" available on it, including some that are free (ie Crackle, which has old TV shows and movies) and some that have a subscription fee (ie Netflix - if you stream only then it is about $8.95 a month) and Hulu Plus. Hulu has ABC and NBC shows but no CBS. If you are a member of Amazon Prime you can stream some of their movies as well for free, and the Amazon channel also allows you to do some PPV type movies. Netflix and Amazon Prime do not include any recently released movies to DVD. We love our Roku. You just pick your channel, search the content and then choose your movie/TV show and it starts streaming. The Roku can work both hard wired or over Wifi, but it is faster and doesn't buffer as often if you can hard wire it to your router with an ethernet cable.

going to follow along here too! I want to know all about this. But no Disney channel??? Not sure how this will fly?!?! :rotfl2:

There is a Disney channel available ~ not sure if it costs or what because it's not something I'm interested in. We use Amazon Prime and Netflix and find they have what we want to watch.

I use my Roku over my WiFi and don't have a problem with buffering and it's quite fast so no problems there either :)

We use it all the time :thumbsup2 but won't get rid of Directv for Extra Innings and Sunday Ticket ;)

I have 2 & I LOVE them. We also have Netflix & Hulu Plus, I have heard you can purchase channels but I can't to figure out how to do so. Any info would be great.

Thanks!

Jumping in. I have asked a few questions on this myself and still don't have all the answers.

I saw Disney on there, but I would like to know what that entails. Is it like the Disney channel from DirecTV? Or something else?

Another question. This weekend I heard them say that the NFL Playoffs were live streaming this year for the first time. How would that work? If I didn't have DirecTV could I stream them through Roku? NFL is what is holding me back from drop-kicking DirecTV!

so each TV would need a Roku? Then I would subscribe from Netflix, and Hulu and we would be all set? You mean I can really drop the Cable?? I was looking at the Hulu site and it doesn't seem to have that many channels? No HGTV, no Foodnetwork, am I right? Keep the info coming it helps everyone :laughing:

Yes, you need a Roku for each TV if you wish to stream. Now, you probably can get local channels through an antenna. We live a bit out of town and need one with an amplifier.

As far as Roku, I stream Netflix ($8) and HuluPlus ($8). You cannot stream regular free Hulu through a Roku, you will need HuluPlus. Hulu+ plays most of the shows that aired last night. It doesn't stream CBS which is my biggest beef, but that is due to CBS and not Hulu+ from what I am understanding.

You can go to Hulu.com to find out what shows you can stream. It doesn't have "channels" like a TV, only shows to choose from.

Dawn

so each TV would need a Roku? Then I would subscribe from Netflix, and Hulu and we would be all set? You mean I can really drop the Cable?? I was looking at the Hulu site and it doesn't seem to have that many channels? No HGTV, no Foodnetwork, am I right? Keep the info coming it helps everyone :laughing:

Okay, I own a Roku and I'll give you the rundown:

Roku is a box that you use for streaming things like Netflix, Hulu Plus (regular Hulu is not available) Amazon Prime (if you are a member). You can rent shows and movies through Amazon as well. Roku also has other channels, like Crackle, Pub-D-Hub (old movies, like Attack of the Giant Leeches), News (like Russia Today, Al-Jazeera) and other channels like Chow and All Recipes.

Roku does NOT offer anything live, except for news (Russia Today, CNN International and Al-Jazeera). The Disney channel only offers music videos, no shows or anything else. You cannot watch live television on it (except for the news channels I mentioned). You can get free sports scores from the NBA channel but you cannot watch any live sports unless you pay for the subscriptions (and be aware, if you're team is in you're market then you'll be subject to blackouts).

So if you like streaming movies and news, Roku is great. If you need sports or other offerings then you'll need to stick with cable.

Thank you for the responses. We are still doing our research. We love Travel Channel, HGTV and Food Network. Does Hulu or Netflix stream those shows?

Thank you for the responses. We are still doing our research. We love Travel Channel, HGTV and Food Network. Does Hulu or Netflix stream those shows?

There are a few shows from Travel channel on Netflix but they are all really old. They do have several Disney documentaries. No Food or HGTV. The best thing to do is go to the Netflix website and search for specific shows or movies you are interested in.

I just got 2 rokus planning to cut on cable bill but here is my feedback on all this

I really do not think Roku can substitute cable. For one noting is live. You do may for each subscription. So lets break it up

Netflix[movie only]- 7.99$
Amazon Prime [movie only] not a great selection - $79/year so Roughly 7$
Hulu Plus [tv shows] - not all of them are on it, sometimes they are late and some channels are not on it like Travel and Food and HGTV - $7.99

So you are already paying $23+ taxes each month

Add to it the cost of Internet. You really need a high speed internet for this, maybe cable or satellite. It really does not work optimum on DSl. Additionally you definitely need a wireless router to use it. SO I am taking part of the internet [I pay 42$ each month for comcast 15mbps internet] so I am taking $10 as my cost for internet on Roku

I am at roughly $35 for roku. Now keep in mind if you have kids there are not many kid channels even paid ones. They disney one is like videos and music so no Dora and no Phineas and Ferb and no HGTV, Travel or Food. Also no live sports or NFL tickets and such.

So what is an ideal scenario?
You can get Roku and then lower your cable level of subscription. I pay 90$ on directv for their choice HD plus package + 3 dvrs + 1 standard receiver + cinemax. Call your cable tell them you are thinking of cancelling and then see if you qulaify for discounts. Tell them openly to justify you keeping them. They will get your bill closer to $100. That plus $35 each month for roku or less if you subscribe to fewer stuff will save you money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter