Tell me about St. Augustine and all fun things in northern Florida

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
This fall we are going to visit Miami area and then flying up to Jacksonville, hoping to get to WDW for a quick stay in the mix. I always wanted to see Savannah and it looks like I might be able to squeeze in a day trip there too :) might add on a few days.

We split a week long trip between Savannah and St Augustine last fall and it was wonderful.

Savannah is much larger than St Augustine. I would say, on the whole, St Augustine is more touristy but still lovely. Both historic downtown areas are super walkable with great restaurants all over. River Street in Savannah is more touristy than some of the areas a few blocks away from the river but again, still lovely.

Tybee Island was a nice day trip and had an amazing seafood restaurant called the Crab Shack. If you get the Captain's platter only order it for half the number of people you have. The portion size is insane. We enjoy learning about history and Fort Pulaski was a nice visit.

Be sure to swing by the Hyppo for some popsicles in St Augustine. The hop on hop off trolley is as touristy as it gets but a great way to get an overview of each city and some idea of the history and culture. The St Augustine lighthouse and Castillo de San Marcos are both great spots to visit if you are into history at all.

So my son did an internship in Brunswick Georgia. We had a ball visiting him. All the islands along the Georgia coast are beautiful. St. Simon’s was my favorite. There’s a lighthouse, a pier, lots of great restaurants, and you can hunt for tree spirits. (Look those up)

St Augustine is worth a visit. We toured the fort and saw the fountain of youth. It rained a lot or we would have done more. St. George street and that area is fun to walk around. Stop in Ben’s pretzels for a treat. We took a boat tour that was well worth it. Can’t remember the name but it took us out and told us about the wildlife and a bit of history.

Lightner Museum in St. Augustine. It used to be a pretty ritzy hotel in late 1800's and had a very unique indoor pool fed by the mineral springs. It's a collection of eclectic pieces.

Also across the street is Flagler College (another architectural gem).

Castillo de San Marcos NM was usually our must see when we lived in north FL. We also usually got fudge. Looking at the options, I think it was Whetstone.

Thanks! My trip from Key West up to Miami was lovely based on recommendations from on here, hoping this will be just as nice. Will be our third time in Florida in a year, it is a very nice State, before this I never saw anything other than WDW, Universal, Sea World and an unfortunate foray into Gator Land, where I learned the fun fact that gators lay eggs and can spread salmonella.

Last edited:
Thanks! My trip from Key West up to Miami was lovely based on recommendations from on here, hoping this will be just as nice. Will be our third time in Florida in a year, it is a very nice State, before this I never saw anything other than WDW, Universal, Sea World and an unfortunate foray into Gator Land, where I learned the fun fact that gators lay eggs and can spread salmonella.

At the Crab Shack on Tybee Island they have small gators you can feed. They sell little bags of food for a couple dollars and you can feed them with cane poles. I did not try it out.

As in most historic cities there's a tram. Price for multi day tickets is very reasonable. Parking in town is horrible! The trick is, park at the tram terminal (Free). Take the tour, then use the tram as a bus service for the remainder. This is the perk of multi day tickets. They have regular stops throughout the city and it's very efficient and convenient as a hop on hop off. Plus, tours of the old jail, which is basically on the same property as the tram depot is included. There's some other kitschy, touristy gift shops there too. We love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter