Tell me about Snow White, Pinnochio, Mr Toad

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Tell me about the rides Snow White Scary Adventures, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Mr Toad Wild Ride....

Are any of these 'scary' and cool with lots of things to look at, and can be considered a substitute for, or similar style as Haunted Mansion?

I'm asking since Haunted Mansion is my DD7's very favourite ride at WDW (mine too!), but when we go end of August, it most likely will be closed for the Halloween layover changes. Thus, I need to break it to her that it won't be open. But if these are ones that compare in excitement or scariness, then that may help ease the disappointment. We've only been to WDW so don't know Disneyland/DCA specific rides.

Snow White is basically a scary ride. You'll go through the forest with the evil trees and the witch will offer you an apple. When my oldest was very young, it was too scary for her.

Pinocchio's isn't very scary until you get to the part where they turn boys into donkeys and put them in crates. It's a small part of the ride.

I wouldn't consider Mr. Toad's to be scary at all, although you do go to hell in the last part of the ride. It's mostly a driving around crazy ride.

Snow White is way scarier than Haunted Mansion. But you need to do all three of those rides because they are classic and not at WDW. Our first trip to DL was in August as well and we missed HM. But we still had a great time and planned on going back when HM was open with the overlay.

She (and I) will probably like Snow White then. My son, who is older probably won't.

I suppose nothing will compare to Haunted Mansion as it's so creative and you notice something new every time, but I can mention Snow White ride.

Snow White is way scarier than Haunted Mansion. But you need to do all three of those rides because they are classic and not at WDW. Our first trip to DL was in August as well and we missed HM. But we still had a great time and planned on going back when HM was open with the overlay.

Cool! I'll warn her then.
Yes we'll try all of these for sure. It's just something to mention to ease the disappointment of it being closed.
We're coming from Ontario Canada and thus this is most likely our only Disneyland trip. Not sure about Disney World.

Cool! I'll warn her then.
Yes we'll try all of these for sure. It's just something to mention to ease the disappointment of it being closed.
We're coming from Ontario Canada and thus this is most likely our only Disneyland trip. Not sure about Disney World.

The Guardian of the Galaxy ride should up and running by then and while I definitely preferred the tower of terror theme, I also enjoyed the ACTUAL ride, which I don't think will change much. Maybe get her excited about that one? Also...wait until they announce it, but Paint the Night could be happening then, too. Which (from what I hear) is amazing! There's nothing comparable to Haunted Mansion, so just focus her excitement on something else.

In addition to the above, hopefully the upgraded Rivers of America along with the new Fantasmic! show should be open by that time. F! is supposed to have a Pirates of the Caribbean theme. While it's not HM, it's still something new and will be a thrilling show.

Thanks. Yeah, maybe she'll like Tower of Terror if DD will ride with her. We saw Fantasmic at WDW and hoping it'll be running by then...But neat with POC theme.
What is Rivers of America? Don't remember reading that one.

I don't think any of those would be scary to a 7 year old. Plus collectively they're not as long as HM. Matterhorn is pretty scary with the new Yetis if you've never been on it.

The bigger deal you make about HM being closed, making excuses and offering replacements and delaying just telling her, the more it might bother her.

I don't think any of those would be scary to a 7 year old. Plus collectively they're not as long as HM. Matterhorn is pretty scary with the new Yetis if you've never been on it.

The bigger deal you make about HM being closed, making excuses and offering replacements and delaying just telling her, the more it might bother her.

Never said I was going to make a big deal about it when we tell them. Just asking on here. When we tell our kids about our trip, it'll be one sentence that "HM will be closed when we go but there are other really great rides to go on. There's one called Snow White that's a scary one too" ... and that's it.

Tell me about the rides Snow White Scary Adventures, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Mr Toad Wild Ride....

Are any of these 'scary' and cool with lots of things to look at, and can be considered a substitute for, or similar style as Haunted Mansion?

I'm asking since Haunted Mansion is my DD7's very favourite ride at WDW (mine too!), but when we go end of August, it most likely will be closed for the Halloween layover changes. Thus, I need to break it to her that it won't be open. But if these are ones that compare in excitement or scariness, then that may help ease the disappointment. We've only been to WDW so don't know Disneyland/DCA specific rides.
It's shocking how scary SNow White is. It's pretty funny really as I believe the witch/Evil Queen is the majority of the last half. Pinnochio isn't as scary from what I remember though little kids probably find it a bit scary. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride should be called "Mr. Toad Gets a DUI and Goes to Hell". It's interesting but not that scary. I do them all every time. I'm taking DD9 and DD5 next week so maybe I'll have an update on their reactions.

I think your daughter will be fine, but you can watch the ride through videos on YouTube to see if you think it is OK.

I think your daughter will be fine, but you can watch the ride through videos on YouTube to see if you think it is OK.

She actually likes scary rides so am not worried. :-)
My son on the other hand wouldn't even go on HM. But since Snow White is princess, he probably wouldn't go on it anyways.

The ride that is technically the closest to haunted mansion, is the little mermaid in DCA. however, it's not scary, except a little with Ursula. I'm talking about the seats and how the rides functions.

Pirates of the Caribbean can be scary, especially with the two drops and all the pirating going on.

Of the ones you listed, Snow White is definitely the most scary, but most kids 6 and over shouldn't find it too bad.

I think a cool ride to talk up would be Indiana Jones. Obviously faster than Haunted Mansion but very fun and scarier (themeing wise, IMO) than the Fantasyland dark rides you mentioned (though they are all great).

Last edited:
They are the "classic dark rides".....darkened inside and dark tone but very short rides... not like HM except you sit in a vehicle and it takes you through the dark and not much technology! Love them for what they are (and they are old, but beloved!) Agree with above...Indy is great and thrilling!

......now that it is interesting...son thinks Snow White is a Princess... when the building was built there was no concept of princess, it was a classic story and the very first oscar.....and if your daughter likes details, then it is all right to ask to stay in the same mine car and ride again...Kitchen scene is the best 10 feet in the entire park, so detailed that very little trivia about the kitchen shows up on any contest because of the every inch detailed. If she likes details, then a contest between the two of you would make it an interesting trip in the dark forest.....there is a reason that the only ride in Disneyland.... with the word scary...is scary.

Thanks. Yeah, maybe she'll like Tower of Terror if DD will ride with her. We saw Fantasmic at WDW and hoping it'll be running by then...But neat with POC theme.
What is Rivers of America? Don't remember reading that one.
Rivers of America is the river in DL that Fantasmic! is shown on, it is near Frontierland/back of Adventureland/New Orlean's Square. It is the body of water that the steam boat Mark Twain sails on, and that you ride over to get to Tom Sawyer's island. All the attractions on the river have been closed for about a year now due to Star Wars land- they are rerouting the river. However it is supposed to reopen this summer so the attractions such as Fantasmic! that utilize the river will be open then as well! :cutie:

Edit: Also want to add that Tower of Terror will no longer be Tower of Terror, it will be Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout!

I don't think any of those is similar enough to HM to be a replacement. Just remind her there are lots of other great rides that WDW doesn't have, things that she will love for completely different reasons. She'll be fine. HM isn't going anywhere and I'm sure she'll get to experience it again one day.

They are the "classic dark rides".....darkened inside and dark tone but very short rides... not like HM except you sit in a vehicle and it takes you through the dark and not much technology! Love them for what they are (and they are old, but beloved!) Agree with above...Indy is great and thrilling!

Ah ok. Thanks for explaining. I guess in terms of being like HM I'm thinking where you are in a car that moves along slowly while you absorb and can look at everything all around you...and also on the scary side vs Peter Pan or Winnie the Pooh. Fast thrill rides are great too , but a different category or type of ride.

Soo..looking forward to seeing all the different rides at Disneyland/DCA that weren't at WDW (well, as an aside, I am limited on some of thrill rides due to eye issues but hopefully can try most).

......now that it is interesting...son thinks Snow White is a Princess... when the building was built there was no concept of princess, it was a classic story and the very first oscar.....and if your daughter likes details, then it is all right to ask to stay in the same mine car and ride again...Kitchen scene is the best 10 feet in the entire park, so detailed that very little trivia about the kitchen shows up on any contest because of the every inch detailed. If she likes details, then a contest between the two of you would make it an interesting trip in the dark forest.....there is a reason that the only ride in Disneyland.... with the word scary...is scary.

So true...Snow White was before the princess era. It's more recently that princesses have become big with character after character. Either way, won't say even comment about princess and if he goes on then great, if he sits out then that's fine too. (He had no interest in Little Mermaid at WDW..BUT DD loved it. She was 5.5 years when we went and was into the princess so the mix of things to look at and the theme was perfect)

Such fun ideas about making up a contest on the ride. Thanks.

Rivers of America is the river in DL that Fantasmic! is shown on, it is near Frontierland/back of Adventureland/New Orlean's Square. It is the body of water that the steam boat Mark Twain sails on, and that you ride over to get to Tom Sawyer's island. All the attractions on the river have been closed for about a year now due to Star Wars land- they are rerouting the river. However it is supposed to reopen this summer so the attractions such as Fantasmic! that utilize the river will be open then as well! :cutie:

Edit: Also want to add that Tower of Terror will no longer be Tower of Terror, it will be Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout!

Thanks for explaining. Hopefully will be open when we come (i.e things on time), which is last week in August.

I don't think any of those is similar enough to HM to be a replacement. Just remind her there are lots of other great rides that WDW doesn't have, things that she will love for completely different reasons. She'll be fine. HM isn't going anywhere and I'm sure she'll get to experience it again one day.

For sure. Thanks.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter