Tell me about parasailing at Castaway Cay

Minnie368

DIS Veteran
Considering parasailing for our family while on Castaway Cay. Just wondering how many people go out in the boat together and how long you actually are in the air. It’s me, DH, DS18 and DD16. I’m expecting we’ll go in pairs. Also just wondering if the experience is similar to other places as far as air time and cost or if we should look to do it at another port? Also just any general review of the experience would be appreciated!!

Considering parasailing for our family while on Castaway Cay. Just wondering how many people go out in the boat together and how long you actually are in the air. It’s me, DH, DS18 and DD16. I’m expecting we’ll go in pairs. Also just wondering if the experience is similar to other places as far as air time and cost or if we should look to do it at another port? Also just any general review of the experience would be appreciated!!
We loved it! Best excursion we’ve ever done. Our family of 4 was with 6 other people. Everyone went tandem and I think we were actually in the air for about 10 minutes. My favorite part was being able to see the Fantasy from above her, was a really cool perspective. If you where glasses or sunglasses they make you take them off unless you have a glass strap. I would love to do this again!

We did this and it was great! Agree with OP. There was an uneven number in our party (5) so one of our DDs got to go twice for no extra charge! She went once with DH and once with grandpa. My other DD and I went together. It was a pretty long flight and safe and well worth it! Do it!

One of the best excursions. It was a little windy that day so they had people go as singles. Except for my daughter & I, she complained so much that she signed on so she could go with her daddy, (she is 52 :crazy2:) as mentioned it was a great ride seeing the Dream from above, 2 words, DO IT

The wife and I did this back on our 2011 Cruise and even though she is scared of heights; she loved it. It was great seeing the Magic from above and we were in the air for about 10 minutes or so if I remember. It would be something we do again; next time we take a cruise that stops at Castaway Cay.

Psy

One of the best excursions. It was a little windy that day so they had people go as singles. Except for my daughter & I, she complained so much that she signed on so she could go with her daddy, (she is 52 :crazy2:) as mentioned it was a great ride seeing the Dream from above, 2 words, DO IT

See, I would have thought the more wind the more the likelihood of them making people go together.

I would love to do this one, but I cruise solo and the idea of being strapped to someone I've only just met is just gross. And they have that "at the captain's discretion" disclaimer that they might make you do in pairs. No guarantee of being allowed to go solo, they will not get my money for this one. (Ditto any kayak one - I am not going to trust my life to someone I just met in a boat like a kayak. No thank you.)

See, I would have thought the more wind the more the likelihood of them making people go together.

I would love to do this one, but I cruise solo and the idea of being strapped to someone I've only just met is just gross. And they have that "at the captain's discretion" disclaimer that they might make you do in pairs. No guarantee of being allowed to go solo, they will not get my money for this one. (Ditto any kayak one - I am not going to trust my life to someone I just met in a boat like a kayak. No thank you.)
I agree about not wanting to go with someone I don’t know. Fortunately we have an even number in our group, but otherwise I would prefer to do it somewhere that I could be guaranteed to go solo!

Ok so with all this good info we’re going to do it :) Any suggestions on whether it’s better to go morning or afternoon? We can choose 1030 or 230.

I (Ditto any kayak one - I am not going to trust my life to someone I just met in a boat like a kayak. No thank you.)

I felt this way when I thought I would be paired with my husband!! LOL :rotfl2:My daughter went with him! Afterwards she gave me the look! Anyway, if you did do this, the water where you go is not that deep. It is fine. And fun. But I do understand your feelings.

We have been lucky enough to parasail on Castaway Cay 3 of the 4 times we have been there, unfortunately the winds and weather cancelled it on our first visit. All of our times have had a maximum of 8 people on the boat, with people only parasailing with those in their own group. For us, it has been our family of 3, with our daughter (now 13) always getting parasail with both my wife and myself. We had parasailed in Maui and felt that our experiences on Castaway Cay were similar.
Honestly, parasailing is the only reason we leave the ship to go onto Castaway Cay, otherwise, we would just stay on the ship and enjoy all of the amenities with no crowds. Personally, our family finds Castaway Cay overrated, which is why the itineraries of our other 7 completed DCL cruise do not included it, nor do 3 of the next 4 booked.

Is this really safe? DD and I are scaredy cats in terms of activities like this. However we went zip lining in Skagway after reading excellent reviews about the vendor. We have done most activities on Castaway Cay. This is one that is interesting but we are not sure about.

Is this really safe? DD and I are scaredy cats in terms of activities like this. However we went zip lining in Skagway after reading excellent reviews about the vendor. We have done most activities on Castaway Cay. This is one that is interesting but we are not sure about.

DCL does an outstanding job of vetting their vendors whether for Port Adventures or the activities offered on Castaway Cay. I doubt they would make this group the exclusive vendor if they were not up to DCL's standards for safety and service.

We did this last week. It was the most amazing experience and I can't wait to try it again. I'm mildly afraid of heights, and I loved it. We were cancelled the first time we signed up for it because of the winds. And all parasailing later in the day than us was also cancelled as the winds picked up. I went with my 13 year old son. There was a family with a girl probably about 8 and the two parents and daughter went as 3. There was another couple that went as a pair.

Did parasailing in December. Loved it! Two singles each got to go up as a single rider. I think there were at least 10 riders on our boat.

My adult daughter went by herself . At first they were going to pair her with someone until they found out she wasn't in their group, then she went up solo. I dont think they pair you with strangers.

Ok so with all this good info we’re going to do it :) Any suggestions on whether it’s better to go morning or afternoon? We can choose 1030 or 230.

I would choose the morning time. The wind tends to increase as the day goes on and I have seen the parasailing have the afternoon times cancelled.

I would choose the morning time. The wind tends to increase as the day goes on and I have seen the parasailing have the afternoon times cancelled.

We've seen it the other way around - our parasailing in the morning (I think around 9:20am?) was canceled due to high wind, but we lingered on CC until after lunch time and saw that others were able to do parasailing in the afternoon. Was such a bummer!

Loved it! We are a family of four, so going in pairs was no big deal. After we had all taken our turns, the thre youngest on the boat, including my two kids, got to go up again. They have a bar that will let them take threeat a time if the weights are right. They told us not to let the boss know, which was likely a pitch for better tips. If so, it worked on me...definitely worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter