Tell me about Discovery Cove--have you gone???

I want to go, but i can't find any contact info, or a website. How long of a wait should you expect for reservations. I am a procrastinator, and im leaving in 2 months any chance?
Ryan

Hi there... go if you can and you will not regret it.

My 8 year old loved it and still talks about "her" dolphin ~ Rose.

There are some photos of discovery cove on my link below...

>>^..^<<

My 8 year old daughter and I did the dolphin encounter on 12/9/02 It was a very chilly and rainy day and it was still the most AMAZING experience of our life!!!!!!!! It is a feeling that you cannot describe, almost like it is life altering. They gave us a full wet suit and that really made a difference. Our encounter was at 1:30 with LaToya and the day just seemed to fly. We spent 3/4 of the day with our faces under water while waiting for 1:30 to arrive. The stingray lagoon was so cool, they look as if they are flying under water. We were the only 2 in the stingray lagoon when it was feeding time so my daughter got lots of extra attention and really enjoyed feeding the rays. As far as the aviary goes I think we would have enjoyed it more had it not been raining, the bird and small animals were still out but not as friendly as they would have been had it been a nice sunny day. There was this Ibis that was so friendly, I turned around to find my daughter standing there smiling while this bird is picking at her teeth...... She thought it was the funniest thing.
It was finally time for our dolphin encounter, WOO HOO..... My daughter did the dorsal tow and I did a belly tow...... 30 minutes does not seem like a whole lot of time but you really do get alot of interaction with the dolphin..... I can't describe the feeling you get when you are looking into the eyes of this 500 lb gentle giant who has a permanant smile on her face..... INCREDIBLE!!!!! We are really considering booking this again for this December..... It was definately one of the few things in life that I can truely say is worth every penny we spent....... One thing that I would recommend for anyone taking younger children is to have them practice with a snorkle before you go it really paid off, my daughter shocked me with how well she did. She was able to stay under for about 5 minutes at a time.......
Thanks for reading by babbleing....

:p :Pinkbounc tmq2766 thank you so much for sharing your experience with me I am definately going to book dc, I'm just trying to do my homework first and find out about so many things befor we go in October. I am a bit worried about the snorkling bit for me, as I dont generally like masks or things over my face, but we do have a large swimming pool in our garden, so maybe I could practice this summer. do you have to ask for a wet suit or do they supply them automatically? thanks everso lynne:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Hi Skinnylinny-
I know you asked tmq but I just rad it and wanted to tell you that -
Yes they supply your choice of wetsuit - or just the vest-
and I wanted to tell you not to worry about the snorkeling thing-
We had 6 of us there - and I was the only one who actually snorkeled - you can see the fish clear as day because the water is so crystal clear-and the stingray lagoon (I would not go it past 4 or five steps out of a 'fishphobia') was so shallow you could stand off to the side and see them!
I don' t think DH or kids even went over to the area where you would snorkel - they LOVED the lazy river/pool area!

patti thanks very much for info, the more Info I get the more I can't wait to book, we are going October 9th seems such a long way of compared to most guys that have replied to me they all seem to be going sooner than later (lucky things) my turn will come though, when would you recomend we book the date we want? thanks again talk again I'm sure regards lynne

You will LOVE it!

WE went this past October and we booked it 8 months in advance. They only allow 1000 people in per day - and I wouldn't take the chance and not get to go (I have friends who couldn't go last minute - then I have read on DIS boards about people going last minute!)
Besides for me - I had an OK from DH and I had to put it on deposit before he could rethink it!:p
He even said that we will go there again - it was one of our favorite day (and believe it or not - most relaxing day too!) We went in the middle of our vaca and it worked out great to have such and R-n-R day!

....Discovery Cove can't be missed! Our trip isn't until 7/04,but its
never too soon to start planning!!
I have a couple of questions,what's the "cabana"? Is this a resort you can stay at?
Do you have to be a good swimmer?
Can you stay there the whole day ?
Has anybody been there the beginning of July?

Just LOVE reading these posts!! Hope to read more !!
THANKS!!!!!

Airhead:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

The caban is where you do the trainign film before you have your swim...

Yes, you stay the whole day.. we got there at 830 and left when they closed...

No, the vest keeps you afloat (dont worry about swimming ability)

I went at the end of August and it was wonderful...

Hi skinnylinny,

Everyone gets a wet suit and depending on what the weather is like you can choose between a vest, a full suit or a suit that is short sleeved and shorts. Actually the day we were there the air temp was only about 65 degrees and raining and believe it or not the wet suit really cuts the cold or we were so excited we didn't feel cold.
One thing to keep in mind is they really get you on pictures and the video at the end of your dolphin encounter. The video is 60.00 and if I remember correctly each 5 x 7 was right around 15.00, believe me it is very hard to resist.
Another nice thing is you do not have to bring anything but your I.D. and credit card. They take your picture at the beginning of the day and put it on a lanyard whenever you want to purchase anything they just scan your I.D and it automatically goes on your credit card. They have thought of everything. They even supply sunscreen that is dolphin safe.

Tina

About the wetsuits? Are they only for those doing the dolphin swim or can everyone use one? Is the water in other areas cold enough that you would need one? What about size, one person in our group is a women's size 22, will there be something to fit her?

The wet suits are for everyone and the come in a wide varietyof sizes. I was very self conscious at first about wearing one but by the end of the day decided that that is all I ever want to wear again.... It hold everything in if you know what I mean.LOL
The water temp in the lazy river is like bath water but the tropical and stingray lagoon is like 70ish and the dolphin lagoon is a little cooler. The day we were there the air temp was only about 65 degrees and my 8 year daughter never complained one time about being cold!!! I think your so amazed that your actually swimming with these awesome creature that you don't even notice the temp.
Make sure you bring an underwater camera for everywhere except the dolphin lagoon you will not regret it. I look at my pictures today and could fool anyone into believing we were somewhere in the caribbean. My daughter and I are booked for the Disney Cruise in October with 5 nights at the Caribbean Beach resort and we are really considering doing Discovery Cove again...... It is worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc thank you all for the input on discovery cove, I can tell you I have now booked it for October so no going back, I cant wait! I will still read on for any new ideas or insperation thanks again lynne x

Hi there, have loved reading all your tips. We are going to book soon to go in April 2004 and are all getting very excited. There are 5 of us and we are all going to do the dolphin swim.

I have three questions - (1) when you say you have to remove all jewellery before the dolphin swim, does that mean wedding rings as well? and (2) I wear glasses, will I be able to wear them or my prescription sunglasses to do the dolphin swim and (3) is there room to wear them under the snorkelling mask?

I look forward to reading your advice!

You are allowed to wear wedding bands, anything else can distract the dolphins when they see the glistening in the water and they think it is something to play with. (This is what they told me) I think it would be difficult to wear them under the mask. The mask fits over your nose and eyes so if your not under water it tends to get fogged.

Just wondering if the dolphin experience (or stingray) pool is too overwhelming for a 6-year old...

Has anyone out there had a positive/negative experience bringing their young ones here.

I'd hate to spend that kind of money and have my daughter too scared of the fish/stingrays/dolphins. She's a good swimmer, but hasn't had any interactions with sea-life.

Hi Epicureangirl,

When we went my daughter had just turned 7 and had the best time.... She is such a dare devil though. She has been going on the Tower of Terror since she was 5.
The thing with the dolphin experience is that they are such gentle creatures that children seem to be drawn to them..... The day that we were there she was just 1 of many many small children and to be very honest I don't think I ever heard any of them crying or throwing a fit about anything. It is paradise what more can I say.

We are scheduled to go on Saturday May 10th. This is the only day Magic Kingdom is doing FIS. Will we have time to get to MK? I don't want to cut DC short but really want to see FIS.

What do you all think? Is it possible?

Thanks!

Hellokitty,

Went to Discovery Cove for the first time in July. Have always wanted to swim with Dolphins and this park certainly did not disappoint. Would love to go in October but since I'm travelling with a non-swimmer, it is unfair to expect them to watch you whilst your enjoying yourself plus cost for non-swimmer is quite high.

Hope you have a great experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter