Teenager ordering a child's meal?

I’ve ordered from the kids menu at TS places quite frequently as the portions are so large at WDW, in general, and the servers have always been happy to accept the order and agree that the portions are large. I usually have a glass of wine and I do tip generously if I am ordering the smaller meal, but I have honestly never had a problem doing so at any Disney owned location.

There's places that you can get an adult portion of a kids meal. Not everywhere will do it though. However, with all the tools available, most people do a little research to see what they and their families would eat ahead of time, to see if going to that restaurant is even worth it. You wouldn't go to somewhere that only offers seafood with a member of your party who is allergic to it would you? So do yourself a favor and make sure that you have a worst case scenario ready that if denied the kids menu, your kid is able to eat something else from the adult menu.

If your child (or anyone for that matter) has an allergy, it's best to put that on the reservation notes when making the reservation. Allergies aren't a leverage tool for getting your way if the servers say "no". This is how things get abused. Sure, you may get your way once, but rest assured, that manager answers to someone as well. They all talk and if it gets abused, things change. Also, what would you do if they couldn't accommodate the allergy? Disney is one of the best places for having allergies accommodated, but they're not perfect.

Our trip last month-we were at jiko;
Dh&Dd used dining credits and we paid oop for my kids meal.

I'm much closer to 50 than 15..

I've ordered kids meals in many establishments both on & off the dining plan:

Some restaurants have gone ahead and made 'an adult size portion' to use credits more effectively.

Others have simply taken full adult credit for meals

Some went ahead and added cost to room-we told them we wanted cash payment -it was altered; but no apology for assuming

And others have asked in advance our preferred method of payment

Btw-my 87 dmil the majority of the time eats children's meals-
However; she can happily manage an adult portion dessert!!!

My mom, age 78, ordered off the children’s menu! No questions asked. She liked the smaller portions and had less adventurous taste. She would order the children’s salmon.

Obviously at buffets or family style restaurants, adults pay adult prices and kids pay kid prices. But generally, when ordering off a menu, kid's meals are smaller portions of more traditionally kid friendly options, and priced as such. What difference does it make if the person ordering it is 5 or 50? It's the same meal and portion size either way?

My boys and I were at WDW last August (boys were 12 and almost 11 and obviously ‘Disney Adults ‘...b/c they are very tall for their age). At every TS restaurant we went to, they were asked if they wanted a kid menu or adult. I often order from the kid menu as well at TS places...I don’t think it will be a problem for you given my experience.

Obviously at buffets or family style restaurants, adults pay adult prices and kids pay kid prices. But generally, when ordering off a menu, kid's meals are smaller portions of more traditionally kid friendly options, and priced as such. What difference does it make if the person ordering it is 5 or 50? It's the same meal and portion size either way?
Disney doesn't seem to have a problem with it.
Should someone over the age for a kids meal be allowed to order a kids meal, at the kids meal price, if the deal is kids eat free? If kids meals are a dollar? $2.00?

Some restaurants offer "deals" for kids to encourage family dining. People who are over the age might not be allowed to order if the kids menu, or might be charged more.

Usually kids eat free specials have stipulations though, like you must be 12 or under and 1 free kids meal per adult meal ordered. So 1 adult can't bring 6 kids to a restaurant and expect all 6 to eat free.

Usually kids eat free specials have stipulations though, like you must be 12 or under and 1 free kids meal per adult meal ordered. So 1 adult can't bring 6 kids to a restaurant and expect all 6 to eat free.
But most kid menus list an age as well.

It must vary according to situation and location. We haven't done it but because I'm struggling to eat all this food (currently in WDW) we are often sharing an adult meal at lunch - so 2 kids meals would have suited us if the menu choices had been acceptable.

But most kid menus list an age as well.
And I suppose a restaurant "could" refuse to allow an adult to order off the kid's menu, however, restaurants are in the hospitality industry so I don't think refusing to allow a customer to order what they want is neccesarily a good business practice. I have a husband who would rather eat chicken nuggets and a son who would rather eat salmon, lol. In the case of Disney, their kid's meals are not exactly value priced, so I don't think it would be a very good business practice for them to not allow it and anger paying customers. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm 18 and have never not ordered of the kids menu at WDW. I've never really had a problem with it but maybe I've just been lucky.

I am hoping this will be allowed on our upcoming trip. I am not worried about cost (if they want to make it a larger portion and charge more that's fine) but I have a picky 15 yo DD who prefers the items on the children's menu. Has anyone been denied this recently and at what restaurants?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter