Teachers!!! What do you do in the summer for extra Cash???

littleEinsteins4

Live for making my children Smile! Disney brings m
Just wondering what some of you teachers do over the summer for some extra cash? I am a teacher and want something part time

ana

My DH is a teacher and he teaches summer science camps at our local museum. The pay is about $500/week. Not great but defiantely better than nothing plus he gets to do some pretty cool things at the camp and we also get some perks out of it in the way of membership discounts.

My dad is a teacher and he and my younger brother haul hay during the summer. Now THAT is some work and makes him very glad when school starts back! ;)

I am on year round pay now and I have 2 kids - so I don't work in the Summer. I used to sign up for all of the professional development that I could. Our system pays us $85 for each day that we attend a workshop in the Summer. That is easy money!

Have you thought about running a small ebay business? Maybe checking out yard sales in upscale areas for name brand, excellent condition items for resell?

My DD used to do a fair amount of selling when she was in high school to help support her horse show habit. She did pretty well. Now that she's in pharmacy school, she just doesn't have time to handle it anymore.

I also second the idea of maybe creating your own "camp". Maybe a one week camp that you offer several times (if the market is there where you live). You could do something with art, music, physical fitness, baking, drama, etc., etc., etc. DD actually seriously considered doing a horse camp, but we were concerned about liability with the horses, so she just does lessons (at their house with their horse ;) ) during the summer instead.

Before kids I would teach summer school. Great pay, but no real break. I didn't go back refreshed so I only did it all summer one year, then I split a summer with another teacher.

I also worked at stores where I could get a discount on products I liked. Many years ago I worked for Bath and Body Works. They had a corporate card every few months so you could get a discount at Limited, Express, Victoria's Secret, and Structure (maybe the kids places too - don't remember). I did that for several summers

Another thing I did was summer sports camps. Also good money and only 2 hours a day when the camps were in session (I think I did about 4 weeks that summer).

I run an after school program during the school year- in the summer several of the other teachers and myself have summer programs. We're paid 500 weekly to do them. There are 3 weeks worth of camps, but only one of the teachers does all three weeks. The rest of us do 1 or 2.

This year I'm having surgery the first week of July so I don;t know how up for them I'm going to be for it, but really want to- even if I'm just there for a couple of hours a day. I'd miss the kids too much otherwise.

I take my pay year round too. Before children i would take a lump sum in June and pay off all the summer bills and waitress for fun $$.

I have worked in day camps run by the DOE (NYC Department of Ed) at "per session" rates which are the contractual hourly rates for NYC teachers. Now, it is almost $40/hour.

I have also worked in a Vet's office (when I was thinking of going back to Veterinary school) and I have written curriculum for a program at the local Zoo.

I agree with the above poster who said they did not go back "refreshed" after summer school - my jobs away from kids made me want to go back to the classroom!

Good Luck!

Samantha

I've got a good one...I cook at a camp for part of the summer. My husband (who is also a teacher) is the camp director. Our kids get to go to camp for free and we save a lot of food money (which in turn fuels our travel budget). It is so different from teaching that it is fun - and then it is fun to go back to school in the fall!

I have usually taken my summers off with the kids, but now one of them is off to College so I'm working this summer. I'm going to be teaching in a summer program for children with disabilities. 1-3 kids at a time to keep their skills current. It pays $30/hour for 3 hours of teaching 1 of planning per day for four weeks. It'll be nice extra cash to put towards College expenses. I'll still have extra weeks of vacation time. I'm also going to do some private tutoring.:)

My sis is a teacher and in the summer (also a few weekends in late spring and early fall) she drives the beverage cart around a golf course. The hourly pay is just OK (about $8/hour) but she makes a lot in tips and it is easier that waitressing. BTW, my sis is single, long blonde hair, nice figure etc. that makes a big difference for some reason:rolleyes1 , but if that applies to you then you may want to look into it. Once in a while there is a real jerk, but mostly not a big deal.

I hire a teacher to private tutor my son with special needs to supplement what the school provides. She works 10-12 hours a week for $25 an hour. She also works at a special needs summer camp. Mornings for them and afternoons for me.

I see a lot of ads in our community newsletter for summer babysitters. I think a lot of the kids are 8-11 years old and want to be around their friends instead of daycare. Pay isn't great, but most of them just hang out at the pool all day.

Good luck finding a great job.

I defer my checks so I get paid year round.

And this summer I'm taking a weeklong professional development course at $875 for the whole week and I was asked to write curriculum which is paid hourly at $30+per hour for 50 hours throughout the month of June.

Dad... just retired... spent MANY a summer working with an all teacher painting crew each summer. Wife, a music teacher, does private lessons during the summer.

I tutor during the summer. Where I live a credentialed teacher can make 50-100 an hour depending on the area. I have 2 kids I tutor, once a week for the summer at 100 each, so i am making about 2000. i also get my check split over 12 months instead of 10.

I tutor during the summer. Where I live a credentialed teacher can make 50-100 an hour depending on the area. I have 2 kids I tutor, once a week for the summer at 100 each, so i am making about 2000. i also get my check split over 12 months instead of 10.

How do you go about getting tutoring jobs that pay so well? I would love to tutor, but all the jobs I've heard about through schools were for kids in the projects living on welfare and parents were offering like $10/hr at most. I did tutoring twice and parents generally want you to do the kids homework, which I have a problem with.

The summer programs around here pay 16-18/hr and after NJ and Fed. taxes that's like $8-10/hr. What an insult to teachers.

it is the area i am in. it is the bay area, CA (affluent) and i don't usually end up tutoring "low" kids. most of the kids in our schools are above avg. to avg. so it is mostly tutoring to get ahead type work. The lowest i was ever offered was $25 eleven years ago. non credentialed private tutors can make 30-40 if they have a 4year degree. when looking at our local hourly rate, keep in mind that a one bed room condo goes for at least 400,000 around here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter