Teachers-could I have a little advice?

KarenB

<font color=green>Goes to the mall and sniffs Yank
I am a fairly new teacher (my fourth year). I really need to find out how to leave some of my work at school. I have been bringing home SO much work and I am beginning to miss my own children. They are in high school and will be gone before I know it.

I feel so pressured with state and district testing. I feel the need to plan, replan, and create new lessons to make my teaching better. I don't waste my planning time as I try very hard to use it wisely. I know I am wwwaayyyyy too hard on myself. I think my biggest worry is that I started this career late in my life. Most of my veteran coworkers are my age. I feel since I am the same age as they are, I need to be as good as they are even though they have done this a lot longer than I have.

I understand that I will always need to bring some work home to be efficient, but I need to find a balance between work and home. I am hoping this feeling will pass since it is about a week before report cards are due and parent teacher conferences are scheduled.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

What grade level are you teaching? I'm at the college level and both of my parents taught junior high. Whenever I started to feel swamped my mother would say "grade wholisticly" (I know I just butchered that spelling).

I also remember her at least occasionally throwing a pile of homework out - ungraded or just checked pass/fail.

I'm on year 12. Currently I am having a health issue and am supposed to remain calm, so I won't discuss testing and requirements at this time. ;)

However, as far as the work goes............do what needs must, but remember you don't have to grade EVERYTHING they write down. Try to do office paperwork as soon as it comes into your hands. I carry a pen and sign, date and fill in papers right there at the mail boxes.

For planning, try to team plan with others in your grade level. Goes quicker, the set day means you're always ahead, and you get more ideas.

Other than that, I still go nuts when grades are due myself, so that's all I've got.

Year 25 teacher here. I never feel that I don't have something I should be doing, but I have learned to pace myself and the kids. For example, some days I have the kids do project oriented work with presentations and then they assess each other on the process. You can still cover the material and often get it better than in traditional ways. Kagen has some pretty good stuff in his research. You can't grade everything. Spot check. State testing...hmmm, how can I say this. I've learned to do as much as I can to prepare the kids, and then I let it go. The kids are the ones taking the tests so all you can do is prepare them to the best of your ability.

My attitude towards the testing is this. If I told someone to mow my lawn, they knew they weren't going to be paid for it, and the lawn mower manufacturer would be held accountable for a bad job, some kids would do a good job just because, and some wouldn't care less. If we attach a serious consequence to not doing a good job (graduation/promotion), our lawn would look much better. But schools are measured on an average of test scores which mean little if anything to many of those contributing to that average.

That's my little rant. Pace yourself. Do your best, but your best includes being the best mother you can be as well....

The grade level is important to know and subject. If they are older, have them grade some of the stuff. Yes, they might cheat, but you can't police the world. Try and do some grading when they are working in class. Also, who says you have to take every assignment for a grade?

I am also a 4th grade teacher. I am only in my second year and I started late in life as well. I feel that this is a 2 person job...it's insane!!!!!! So, I'm subscribing to this thread to get some advice too!!! I'm a single mom so my kids really need me too. There just doesn't seem to be enough hours to do it all!!! It's funny because people will say to me, "Well, so and so is a teacher and she doesn't do a quarter of the work you're doing!" I figure it's GOT TO GET EASIER because no one in their right mind would continue at the pace I've been going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, KarenB....you are not alone!!!!!!!!!

It took me a long time to get to the point where I wasn't taking anything home. Yes some of their work doesn't get back to them for a week. Yes sometimes I grade on completion. Yes I have changed some tests so that they are easier to grade for me. I also schedule a film for the days after a big project. Gives everyone a break. I grade and they relax.

I too have learned to do what is needed for state testing, and I try not to go overboard. How much of your work do they REALLY look at? In our school not much. :rolleyes: I would much rather spend time making wonderful and creative lessons than doing state required paperwork on how creative and wonderful my lesson plans could be, if only I had time to make them!

Planning, replanning, looking for ways to improve your teaching. Sounds to me like you have the teacher thing exactly correct. It's a constant. Teachers like you are the ones who touch students for a lifetime, not just for a single year. Enjoy your teaching life and all the homework that comes with it. That's why we NEED summers off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter