Target Gift Card Problem

carlbarry

DIS Veteran
I was just at my local Target, to buy 3 $100 Disney gift cards with the Target gift card I bought Sunday.
The transaction wouldn't go through.
I was told that you can't buy a gift card with a Target gift card! I've been doing this for a few years, and this was a first.
Anybody else have this problem?

I asked on a Sunday if the gift cards would work to purchase other gift cards, and I was told they would not.
Uh oh. I bought $900 worth, in other words, about 2 lifetimes of Target purchases.
Target card says on back that it "Can be redeemed for merchandise or services (other than gift cards and prepaid cards) . . . " But it said that last year, and I presume previous years, and it never was a problem before.

Wow, thanks.
Odd thing is the first thread is from 2016. I know I bought the Target gift cards since then and then used them for Disney cards.

I was just at my local Target, to buy 3 $100 Disney gift cards with the Target gift card I bought Sunday.
I was told that you can't buy a gift card with a Target gift card! I've been doing this for a few years, and this was a first.
They changed their policy awhile back. It was a great way to get a little extra discount on disney gift cards. You can get a 5% discount with buying the disney gift cards with the target red card. At least it is still a little savings.

Wow, thanks.
Odd thing is the first thread is from 2016. I know I bought the Target gift cards since then and then used them for Disney cards.
I think 2016 is when the online stopped working. It used to be if you had a Target RedCard on your online account AND Target giftcards, you could buy Disney gift cards at 5% off. Then they closed that loophole, but you could still buy the Target gift cards in some way reduced and use them to buy Disney gift cards.
Now, they updated the cash registers so you can't buy gift cards with gift cards.

There is a lot of fraud, scams, and money laundering with gift cards, so I think that is the reason why.

Online changed a year or two ago and this past June they stopped allowing it in stores.

This was the first time in many years I wasn't waiting for this promotion.

The email I received from Target advertising the 10% off target gift cards included a list of exclusions. Those stated that the cards could not be used to purchase third party gift cards or any pre-paid cards. Believe the Sunday ads included the same fine print..

nope - you cant' use a target gc to purchase another gc - maybe use that towards groceries and put your grocery budget towards a disney gc?

You can't return gift cards - they are non-refundable
The receipt doesn't say non-refundable.
According to the web site:
Target Mobile GiftCards and Target eGiftCards purchased on Target.com cannot be returned or redeemed for cash or credit except where required by law. Physical Target GiftCards can be returned in store with a receipt if unused.

The receipt doesn't say non-refundable.
According to the web site:
Target Mobile GiftCards and Target eGiftCards purchased on Target.com cannot be returned or redeemed for cash or credit except where required by law. Physical Target GiftCards can be returned in store with a receipt if unused.

It might end up being a your manager many vary moment - be prepared to be told no

Glad it worked out. Maybe now you can tell us your secret of how to make $900 at Target last two lifetimes!;)

I was thinking the same thing. I got a $100 Amazon GC for my birthday last month. I don’t think it lasted more than a couple of days...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter