Talk DVC with the Dis Dads

So, as I posted on another thread, we just put down our deposit on BLT, so I'm pretty stoked...

My question for you DVC gurus is this; We'll be heading down next year for a week with a 4 year old and a 1 year old and are debating where we want to stay. We've already stayed at BLT and Boardwalk, so we wanted to try a new resort. Our top 2 picks right now are Beach Club and Animal Kingdom. I think I'm leaning towards BC because of the convenience to DHS and Epcot, I enjoy walking to both, but the theming at AK seems great for us and the kids. My fear with AK is the buses as I can be very impatient :-)sad2:) and think I'd get tired of waiting...

So any thoughts or suggestions between the 2 (or votes for one I didn't include)? All comments, even ones mocking/taunting/berating me will be appreciated! :thumbsup2

Between the two resorts, I'd go with Beach Club as you said, due to vicinity of the parks. I've heard AK is great as long as you can get a savanna view and not one of the parking lot.

It took us looking at the DVC kiosk info over three trips before we decided to get more details in the presentation on the last day of another trip. We ended up buying into SSR sight unseen. We went through the same discussions around the initial hit to the checkbook and how to budget in the maintenance fees. After we got over the initial shock of the amount of money we were looking at spending, we started digging into whether it was the right thing for us to do.

For us, we tend to visit WDW every 2 years and usually stay at Pop Century with maybe a surprise last night at the Contemporary. Knowing our touring history, we bought into DVC with enough points for a 2-bedroom villa for each of those trips. Sure, it costs a lot more than our stays at Pop, but we get so much more for our money. The addition of a significantly larger room, about 3x the bathroom space in the master bath, a jacuzzi tub, free internet, a washer/dryer and a full kitchen really made the difference. Although cooking full meals while on vacation isn't really our thing, we do tend to eat breakfast in the room which reduces park costs.

As already mentioned, the maintenance fees are a necessary evil with any property "owned", DVC home or our primary one. We receive a copy of our resort's budget and can see how those fees are allocated. For instance, this year SSR is getting an expansion of a pool with a quick service restaurant and re-painted buildings and rooms.

DVC isn't the right solution for everyone, but it works quite well for us. :thumbsup2

We purchased DVC in 1993. We have used our 270 points at OKW many many times, and our family of 5 has taken two Disney cruises. I doubt I would have planned out these visits if I was paying cash. We took 7 years to pay off those 270 points and I just have gotten used to paying those dues every month.......but after all these fine vacations......if I sold my 270 points today I would make a profit on the point sale. Now I know that this will change over the years.....but after almost 18 years I still think this was one of the best (monetary & family) investments we have ever made.

We've almost stayed at all the WDW DVC resorts. I really liked AK, but nothing beats the convenience of BLT, VWL, or BC/ BW for park convenience. Our dds are older now, and I wish we could have pushed the stroller to a close resort and not fold it up on the bus.

Congrats again on the DVC membership. Welcome Home.

With the age of your kids, I would say BLT. If you have to try someplace new and location is the top priority then BCV. Very close to Epcot and a bit of a hike (but doable) to MGM. Both are great resorts and you will enjoy either. Busses no matter where you stay can be hit of miss but mostly OK.

Between the two resorts, I'd go with Beach Club as you said, due to vicinity of the parks. I've heard AK is great as long as you can get a savanna view and not one of the parking lot.

Thanks guys. I think you've helped convince me for BC. Maybe we'll try a savanna view AK at our 2013 stay for a couple nights...:thumbsup2

OK - so I hope I'm not taking over this thread - but I really feel an imminent DVC purchase coming....

Can someone who is a DVC member explain to me about the different membership perks...i.e. discounts on dining plan and park tickets or AP's?

And I'd love to hear from you guys about your favorite resorts...

Oh and has anyone actually bought a DVC without first touring it? I'm thinking that if I do this, I'm going to try to find a resale contract with some booked points to use for my vacation next year so I won't be privy to a tour prior to purchase.

Thanks guys and sorry again for the thread hijacking!

I'm late to the party, but DW and I purchased w/o touring and sight unseen. Just appealed to us, and our conversations with the DVC folks were some of the most non-pressure talks that I've ever had with anyone in sales. They didn't push us at all. In fact, it was just the opposite; they were trying to slow us down.

Interesting....on the DVC website it still states the 1 bedroom at OKW is a 4 person room.

I would imagine, if we were DVC owners, we would be better with food too and not need a full DDP. Usually, when we vacation now, we snack for breakfast and pack a lunch and only eat out for dinner. So we may be able to get away with now DDP if we wanted.

I know OKW has a shorter contract length, but it is less expensive because of that - which makes it really attractive...plus having a 5 person occupancy is a big plus as my wife and SIL are attached at the hip (not literally...but you know what I mean). ;)

You are correct on the food. The 1BR is great for making your own meals. We've done the DDP for our trip in a couple of weeks, but only for a couple or 3 nights.

ok, the other week we were talking about dvc on the main disdad thread. i said i would look into my info.and post it. well, now we have a thread for disdad dvc so ill post it here.:thumbsup2 this is how my numbers come out, remember, the points dont change. if they add a point here, they have to take a point away somewere else. so the points are worth the same today as they were in 1999 when i joined than what they will be in 2041.
purchase 400pts. @ $56 per point. = $25000.
$25000.00 divided by 42 years = $600.00 per year
dues and taxs are $1962.00 per year.
grand total per year = $2562.00
dvc takes the dues out of my checking every month at $164.00 thats $42 per week.
so, for $2562.00 per year, i can spend 400 points per year for 42 years.
you can look at a dvc points chart to see what you can do with 400 points per year.
like other people have said, its not for everyone but i just wanted to post my info. so you can see how i made up my mind to buy in and why i did it.i hope i could help someone.:thumbsup2

I'm just kicking myself for not buying in earlier. We're minimum buy in folks, but really want to add on another 50-75 points so that we can have a little more flexibility.

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions about the Animal Kingdom Resorts DVC properties, mainly with regard to concierge level.

1. Has anybody stayed in one of these DVC rooms? How was the experience? Mainly looking in order to take advantage of the Sunrise Safari perk, although I do enjoy me a nice CL...

2. Is there a CL lounge at AKV, or do you have to trek to Jambo House?

I received my lithograph for viewing the Aulani Webinar. The webinar was OK, but the lithograph is cool. It has it's own authenticity statement as well. I need to have them framed. I'll include a pic when I get them done.

I received my lithograph for viewing the Aulani Webinar. The webinar was OK, but the lithograph is cool. It has it's own authenticity statement as well. I need to have them framed. I'll include a pic when I get them done.

There was a lithograph for viewing that? Did you have to do something to have it sent? I watched that webinar but didn't see anything about that...

There was a lithograph for viewing that? Did you have to do something to have it sent? I watched that webinar but didn't see anything about that...

I thought that as well. But, there was nothing to click. I watched it in May on a Tuesday when we had primary elections, and it just arrived the other day when I posted that.

Got mine in the mail today. Ditto with watching the video with no info or way to respond on getting a litho. It is pretty cool.

Quick question for you DVC vetrans;

We're planning our first big trip in Sept 2012, so I will be calling in Oct. to book BLT for the week and then 7 months out to see if I can get BC. However, I am now tentatively planning on a 3 night stay in January 2012 as well to run the marathon. I called today and tried to get 3 nights in a Boardwalk studio for the time period, but it wasn't available, so I went on the wait list for it. We want BW because the points are cheaper and won't impact the Sept trip if we get 3 nights in a regular studio there...

So my question is, are the odds of getting your wait list request good? I know its a busier weekend because of the marathon, but seeing as it was 7 months out (almost) I thought something would be available...

We're planning our first big trip in Sept 2012, so I will be calling in Oct. to book BLT for the week and then 7 months out to see if I can get BC. However, I am now tentatively planning on a 3 night stay in January 2012 as well to run the marathon. I called today and tried to get 3 nights in a Boardwalk studio for the time period, but it wasn't available, so I went on the wait list for it. We want BW because the points are cheaper and won't impact the Sept trip if we get 3 nights in a regular studio there...

So my question is, are the odds of getting your wait list request good? I know its a busier weekend because of the marathon, but seeing as it was 7 months out (almost) I thought something would be available...

We were able to get BWV at Spring Break in a standard view. It was not Easter week. I'm not sure about the time of year you're looking at, but I found it better to call MS as opposed to WL. I was able to get what I was searching for when I called, but never had a WL go thru. I would do a WL, but call every so often after window opens and see if you can get it.

OKW owner here since '93.
2nd best investment DW and I made, behind DD college fund.
We would have never been able to go to Disney often as we do without DVC. It has allowed us to travel multiple DCLs, concierge collection trips including Miami (Doral, played Blue Monster) and Ashville, North Carolina, and RCI and II exchanges. I am different than most in that I believe that I paid off DVC within the first three years of ownership, so DW and I have been taking free trips, except maintenance fees, since then. We go where we want each year and will continue to do so.

Wait list do come through alot,however I also find it better to just call MS every so often to check .

any updates on the new pool at SSSR?? I will be at the BWV in july and want to go over and check out the new pool at my home resort.Just wondering if any one down there recently has any news on it.

We were able to get BWV at Spring Break in a standard view. It was not Easter week. I'm not sure about the time of year you're looking at, but I found it better to call MS as opposed to WL. I was able to get what I was searching for when I called, but never had a WL go thru. I would do a WL, but call every so often after window opens and see if you can get it.

Wait list do come through alot,however I also find it better to just call MS every so often to check .

Good advice, thanks guys! :thumbsup2

any updates on the new pool at SSSR?? I will be at the BWV in july and want to go over and check out the new pool at my home resort.Just wondering if any one down there recently has any news on it.

The water is in. We own at SSR too. Check out link in signature. Close to last page talks about new pool open, and maybe pics there as well.

OKW owner here since '93.
2nd best investment DW and I made, behind DD college fund.
We would have never been able to go to Disney often as we do without DVC. It has allowed us to travel multiple DCLs, concierge collection trips including Miami (Doral, played Blue Monster) and Ashville, North Carolina, and RCI and II exchanges. I am different than most in that I believe that I paid off DVC within the first three years of ownership, so DW and I have been taking free trips, except maintenance fees, since then. We go where we want each year and will continue to do so.

Now, you really aren't taking free trips. You may not do TP tickets (although U can't figure out how you could not), but you still have the transport and meal costs. We really like our DVC as well. Ours is paid (no loan) and we will enjoy the DVC resorts for many years.

It may be unlikely, but not impossible. I say that; because, the BWV standard view rooms are prime for owners. Also, this is a popular time for the EPCOT resorts (especially for Food & Wine, which is Sept 30th).

I agree with calling. Even if the waitlist would come through, calling may enable you to get a jump on a canceled room. If you call once or twice a month then once per week closer to the trip, it may help. Of course, it's mainly luck, so Good Luck! :thumbsup2

- Chris

HEY!
if this question is answered someplace else, i'm happy to look up the info myself.

but, here goes:

DW and I want to bring a few friends to WDW that are tentative at best next may. we are CONSIDERING renting DVC points for a 2 bedroom. If the friends can go, we'll have room. If they can't, our budget for the room doesn't change.

NEXT: how does Dining work with DVC? if we buy 4 days of park tickets, but stay for 7 days, how many TS meals do we get? I was under the impression is would be 6 (one for each night of my stay), but I wanted to ask to make sure. Also, if your DVC point are Rented, can you even BUY a dining plan?

thanks guys! (i'm really hoping Stopher checks in... this seems something right up his alley...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter