Taking my 74 year old Mom for the first time. Poly or VGF resort studios??

princesslover

DIS Veteran
It will be my two teen daughters, my Mom and me. The studios at the Poly have a 2nd bathroom and more sleeping space and are less points. Overall we’d have more room to spread out. But the resort studios are so pretty. We toured one on our last trip.

Most of me is saying the Poly is a better value and you get the same benefit of location but for a first trip you can’t beat the ambiance of the VGF. What does everyone think?

The Poly studios only have one toilet, but the bathroom area is divided in two (just to clarify, as two bathrooms can be misinterpreted as two toilets). So you can have a shower separately from someone using the toilet. I love the Grand personally over the Poly, but I would opt for a VGF1 Studio over a newer resort studio.

You didn't say when you're planning to go, but from what I've read from people staying in the Resort Studios right now, the construction noise can be an issue, so that may point to the Poly if the trip is sooner rather than later.

This seems like a great opportunity to help create some excitement and buy in (not that it's necessary when taking any Disney trip) from your travel companions by having a group discussion talking about the pros and cons of both resorts. Allow the flow of the group conversation make the decision for you.

This seems like a great opportunity to help create some excitement and buy in (not that it's necessary when taking any Disney trip) from your travel companions by having a group discussion talking about the pros and cons of both resorts. Allow the flow of the group conversation make the decision for you.
??? I’m not understanding your comment. Can you clarify what you mean? My Mom has never been to Disney. We are currently home now but just got a quick tour of the resort studios while there. We have never stayed at the poly. That’s why I’m asking here.

It will be my two teen daughters, my Mom and me. The studios at the Poly have a 2nd bathroom and more sleeping space and are less points. Overall we’d have more room to spread out.
Not really, if you go for a VGF1 aka deluxe studio. You'll have the same sort of split bathroom in either. Also, one queen bed will be a sofa with Murphy bed. The VGF1 has a pullout bed under the tv that might work well for someone if under 5'6" or so, depending on how you arrange sleeping spaces.

In floor area, the resort studios are actually larger than the deluxes. However, there is only one full bath. VGF1's two showers could be a godsend with two teens.

Do you plan any meal prep in your villa? If so, you may prefer the deluxe studio which has microwave, toaster, minifridge and Mr. Coffee with a sink and gooseneck faucet. The resort studios have only a Keurig, beverage cooler (no in-door storage) and a microwave, no sink (other than the bathroom ones) and no toaster, very limited food prep space.

But the resort studios are so pretty.
Yes, they are gorgeous. Various reports currently and past indicate that room-to-room noise is bad if that would disturb. VGF1 is generally very quiet but for some occasional hallway noise, typical of any hotel.
Most of me is saying the Poly is a better value and you get the same benefit of location but for a first trip you can’t beat the ambiance of the VGF.
Make it a magical trip. Stay where you'll ❤️. Ignore our advice if the resort studios call your names. ;)

Not really, if you go for a VGF1 aka deluxe studio. You'll have the same sort of split bathroom in either. Also, one queen bed will be a sofa with Murphy bed. The VGF1 has a pullout bed under the tv that might work well for someone if under 5'6" or so, depending on how you arrange sleeping spaces.

In floor area, the resort studios are actually larger than the deluxes. However, there is only one full bath.

Do you plan any meal prep in your villa? If so, you may prefer the deluxe studio which has microwave, toaster, minifridge and Mr. Coffee with a sink and gooseneck faucet. The resort studios have only a Keurig, beverage cooler (no in-door storage) and a microwave, no sink (other than the bathroom ones) and no toaster, very limited food prep space.

Yes, they are gorgeous. Various reports currently and past that room-to-room noise is bad if that would disturb. VGF1 is generally very quiet but for some occasional hallway noise, typical of any hotel.

Make it a magical trip. Stay where you'll ❤️. Ignore our advice if the resort studios call your names. ;)
Hi- if you read my title I’m comparing the new resort studios specifically. ETA I can only book at 7 months so that’s a factor too.

Hi- if you read my title I’m comparing the new resort studios specifically. ETA I can only book at 7 months so that’s a factor too.
Yes, I saw that but thought that the deluxes might work better for you.

I agree, now that you say it'll be a 7-mos. booking that you probably couldn't get a deluxe studio without waitlisting. You didn't specify 7-mos-only, so I'd no way to know that was a concern.

Yes, I saw that but thought that the deluxes might work better for you.

I agree, now that you say it'll be a 7-mos. booking that you probably couldn't get a deluxe studio without waitlisting. You didn't specify 7-mos-only, so I'd no way to know that was a concern.
No worries. But that’s why I stated specifically resort studios. Thanks for the input!!!

A VGF resort studio is not worth the point difference IMO. I would choose Poly. A VGF deluxe studio and we might be having a different discussion.
True enough if the kitchenette in the Poly studio is desirable.

Otherwise, go with the resort studio--the Poly ones have a lot of dark wood, are kind of gloomy and nowhere near as elegant. You can also be quite a distance from the Great Ceremonial House in one of those whereas the resort studios are near the GF main building.

A VGF resort studio is not worth the point difference IMO. I would choose Poly. A VGF deluxe studio and we might be having a different discussion.
Thank you. This is my gut reaction as well without having stayed in either. The resort studios are beautiful but I get a fancy hotel room vibe that doesn’t seem very DVC. But I wanted to get others impressions.

The VGF1 has a pullout bed under the tv

FYI- The Poly also has same set up, pullout bed under the TV

IMHO-The recent refurbishment has brightened and lightened up Poly rooms

Both resorts are lovely. Where would your mother like to stay?.

if you go with the Polynesian, request Tokelau building to be near GCH.
edit: The DVC buildings are not far from TTC, easy to walk over and catch the Epcot monorail.
(I guess you can tell by now Poly is number one in my heart❤️ )

Last edited:

Otherwise, go with the resort studio--the Poly ones have a lot of dark wood, are kind of gloomy and nowhere near as elegant. You can also be quite a distance from the Great Ceremonial House in one of those whereas the resort studios are near the GF main building.
The kitchenette, split bath and lower points cost all add up to the Poly for me.

I would go poly. Transportation is much better at the TTC right next door. The boat and monorail to Epcot are always running. Food options are better, like Tonga toast to go on the mobile order.

The poly is magical at night with the torches lit up and the music. I’d actually say as ambiance goes I like it better than the GF lobby.

The recent poly flip is gorgeous and might work better for a big group. You can flip up the Murphy queen into the sofa and then you actually have some space in the room, as opposed to the two queen setup in VGF2. Downside to this is storage. The VGF closet and dresser are much better than the weird lack of storage in poly.

Both buildings are old and rooms are loud, much louder than I would expect for $800/night hotels. But VGF2 was even louder, maybe one of the loudest hotel experiences I’ve ever had. Bad neighbors could really mean a bad time. I’d pick a BLT 1BR over both for a little more. Or even a boardwalk 1BR.

The one big plus for Poly over resort studios is to be able to have an actual couch situation that faces the TV and only one bed when hanging in the room. It also has the table and chairs in the living area where the resort studio table is in the entrance way meant for vanity area?

But, the resort studios are large so you still may feel you have plenty of room with both beds.

They will now have the microwave. But won’t have a toaster, iron or ironing board. It has the single serve coffee maker, not full pot, You may be able to request…some have been successful…but they will be part of the Poly room.

I like VGF better than Poly, but I wouldn’t be able to do the resort studio more than a night or two because of what it lacks.

I would go poly. Transportation is much better at the TTC right next door. The boat and monorail to Epcot are always running. Food options are better, like Tonga toast to go on the mobile order.

The poly is magical at night with the torches lit up and the music. I’d actually say as ambiance goes I like it better than the GF lobby.

The recent poly flip is gorgeous and might work better for a big group. You can flip up the Murphy queen into the sofa and then you actually have some space in the room, as opposed to the two queen setup in VGF2. Downside to this is storage. The VGF closet and dresser are much better than the weird lack of storage in poly.

Both buildings are old and rooms are loud, much louder than I would expect for $800/night hotels. But VGF2 was even louder, maybe one of the loudest hotel experiences I’ve ever had. Bad neighbors could really mean a bad time. I’d pick a BLT 1BR over both for a little more. Or even a boardwalk 1BR.
This is a really super helpful comment!! Thank you so much!!!

The one big plus for Poly over resort studios is to be able to have an actual couch situation that faces the TV and only one bed when hanging in the room. It also has the table and chairs in the living area where the resort studio table is in the entrance way meant for vanity area?

But, the resort studios are large so you still may feel you have plenty of room with both beds.

They will now have the microwave. But won’t have a toaster, iron or ironing board. It has the single serve coffee maker, not full pot, You may be able to request…some have been successful…but they will be part of the Poly room.

I like VGF better than Poly, but I wouldn’t be able to do the resort studio more than a night or two because of what it lacks.
I struggle with the glorified hotel room feel.

We took a tour on our recent trip because they had just opened (last week) and my daughter loved it (it’s new and pretty so of course she did). But the things you pointed out bugged me: no real sitting area, no kitchenette, and the odd couch with no purpose (other than a day bed).

I struggle with the glorified hotel room feel.

We took a tour on our recent trip because they had just opened (last week) and my daughter loved it (it’s new and pretty so of course she did). But the things you pointed out bugged me: no real sitting area, no kitchenette, and the odd couch with no purpose (other than a day bed).

Yeah. The couch is a big deal for me but since I may only ever stay more than one or two nights, before moving over to RIV, I might be able to handle it. I stay one night on July 20th, so I will see how it goes. I like its location better than VGF1...so I want to see if that will outweight the 1 bedroom or studio at VGF1...

The VGF Resort Studios has two real queen beds (instead of one being a fold down murphy bed).
They also have the option of Theme Park View rooms. Those are the rooms that cost more points, though.

Poly studios have the two showers and full kitchenettes.

Points for standard and lagoon view rooms are close to the same in both resorts, depending on time of year.

I just stayed in a resort studio with the theme park view for a few nights and loved it, but am not sure it would be worth the extra points for a full week stay.

If your stay is not too long, and you think your mother would really enjoy a theme park view on her first trip, the resort studio might be worth a "few" extra points.

They've lightened up the Poly studios considerably. They are beautiful now, and with the new Murphy bed, very comfortable. We stayed in Tokelau in April and really enjoyed it and there were four females. Plenty of space.

'Quite a distance' is kind of relative. I thought it was 'quite a distance' to walk to Gasparilla Grill from the VGF studios. But not a deal breaker because I really enjoyed the studio. The walk to the GCH from Tokelau seemed shorter to me. I usually cut through the pool area. I have no idea how many steps or feet in either case. I've stayed in almost all the buildings at Poly, both DVC and cash/hotel since the 80ties so I'm fairly familiar.

In these older buildings both at GF and Poly, the entrances and hallways all seem sort of 'not as renovated' as the actual rooms. The Poly hallways seem dark, but when you get into the room, it's much nicer!

I'm going to try the Resort Studios as an add on in November. I'll reserve judgement on the room until then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter