Taking a cake on an airplane, HELP!!

Stucas

DIS Veteran
I posted this on the forums at cakecentral.com but I figured I would post it here too. I need all the help I can get.

-------------
I am in need of some good advice. In June I'm flying down to florida to see my Fiance's grandparents for their 60th wedding anniversary as a surprise. I am hoping to make them a cake too for the party. First off I have no idea if I can take the cake on the plane. I'm flying Jet Blue and it doesn't say anything on their website and I can't call them until later tonight. This is my first time not flying continental so i checked their website to compare and they WILL allow a cake as a carry on. Assuming I can bring my cake on jet blue I need some advice on how to safely pack it. I'm going to do it unassembled and in a hard plastic storage container. I'm sure it will have to go in the overhead compartment at some point of the flight if not the whole time. Anybody know how I should pack it in the storage container so its not sliding around inside? Any advice at all would be great! Thanks so much.

-Lauren

p.s. if I end up not being able to take the cake do you think wedding cake cookies with "60" on it would be okay too?

Is there any way you could make it once you get there? Or buy a premade cake there and add your own decorations?

This is such a thoughtful idea, but it seems like it would be WAY stressful trying to carry a cake on a plane.

I would worry that the icing would fall into the TSA prohibited list and you wouldn't be allowed to take the cake on the plane.

It isn't the airline's rules I would worry about but the TSA's rules and those seem to change at the whim of whatever agents you happen to encounter that day at the airport and their mood.

I would either try to ship cookies down by mail or FEDEX or bake something when you got there just to save yourself the hassle and possible heartache.

Any answer you get on the phone won't mean a thing if the TSA agents at the airport decide that you cant take the cake on the plane.

I have enough problems transporting a cake home from the store! I wouldn't even attempt it - trying to get it screened, and just through security would be tough enough.

I'd get there a day early and bake it after arrival.

I left a 1/2 eaten cake in a closed plastic container and it deflated and melted. ITA, get some were early and bake it then.

do you think wedding cake cookies with "60" on it would be okay too- take them on the plane as well? I wouldn't risk the mess or broken pieces.

I checked TSA and it doesn't look like a cake would be a problem. If I decided to go the buttercream route I would put the icing in a carry on. Going there early and baking it there is not an option. We are staying at a hotel, not their house, plus they don't even know we are coming, I can't show up and ask to use their kitchen. I plan on assembling it at the hotel, but I need to transport the actual baked cake and any sugar art I end up using. Shipping anything down would cost too much, I'v done it before and it costs a fortune. As for the cookies I know I can bring those on the plane/through security. I have done it since the new regulations went into effect. All arrived with me 100% okay with no problems. The question about the cookies was more, do you think cookies are acceptable for this party? I would much rather make a cake than cookies, but I at least needed a back up plan. I'm still on the fence but I think it would be nice to bring something, but I don't have to.

-Lauren

wow.. I have enough problems just trying to get all my childs stuff together and I can't imagine a cake too.. good luck..

I know that the TSA will allow the cake on. .. but I dont' know if the cake will make it to your destination in good shape.

In January, I took my wedding cake top (10" round with buttercream icing) on as a carry on to bring home from my wedding. It wasn't a problem to bring it on, but it was too warm in the cabin and the icing melted a bit. Now I have a half smushed cake in my freezer waiting for our 1 year anniversary!! :lmao: I figure the Cake will still taste the same smushed or not!!

I agree the cake would be more festive, but I think the cookies are adorable too! Sounds like you're a pro at this, so I bet you can make really nicely decorated ones. They can be quite festive too, and I think they're very modern and cool. Either way, I'm sure you'll wow them with your thoughtfulness and artistry!

Me, I can bake a cake from scratch, but I'd never attempt frosting it :rotfl:

Oh boy! Good luck with this!

This thread caused me to laugh out loud, as I am a member of several travel message boards. I would love to see this posted on one of them and have a bag of popcorn ready for the replies. As some of those people get down right fighting mad at some of the things, people try to carry-on. I bet this one would take the cake! :laughing: Ok had to say that!

I could just see someone taking your cake pan and turning it side ways to make room for their bag. Not that your in the wrong for having it, but people just don't care.

If you do some how figure it out and it's allowed. I have 3 request for you.

1. a before picture

2. an after picture

3. Have camera ready if for some reason the cake comes open and goes all over the person that opens the bin after landing. :rotfl2:

I know that the TSA will allow the cake on. .. but I dont' know if the cake will make it to your destination in good shape.

In January, I took my wedding cake top (10" round with buttercream icing) on as a carry on to bring home from my wedding. It wasn't a problem to bring it on, but it was too warm in the cabin and the icing melted a bit. Now I have a half smushed cake in my freezer waiting for our 1 year anniversary!! :lmao: I figure the Cake will still taste the same smushed or not!!

Aww I'm sorry it smushed :hug: , but you're right, at least it will still taste the same. As for melting I was thinking I put put icepacks in the container, then duh, thats a liquid/gel. However I could bring empty ziplock bags and get ice past security at one of the food places. That would be allowed. Its not too long of a flight anyways.

-Lauren

I watched the Food Channel Wedding Cake Challenge a couple weeks ago and they kept talking about people flying with cakes. Some even packed them as luggage and one of the entries came from India or something like that. I wnder if their website has more information on travelling with cakes.

Good luck. Be sure and report back to us.

I checked TSA and it doesn't look like a cake would be a problem. If I decided to go the buttercream route I would put the icing in a carry on. Going there early and baking it there is not an option. We are staying at a hotel, not their house, plus they don't even know we are coming, I can't show up and ask to use their kitchen. I plan on assembling it at the hotel, but I need to transport the actual baked cake and any sugar art I end up using. Shipping anything down would cost too much, I'v done it before and it costs a fortune. As for the cookies I know I can bring those on the plane/through security. I have done it since the new regulations went into effect. All arrived with me 100% okay with no problems. The question about the cookies was more, do you think cookies are acceptable for this party? I would much rather make a cake than cookies, but I at least needed a back up plan. I'm still on the fence but I think it would be nice to bring something, but I don't have to.

-Lauren

The actual cake part won't be a problem, it's a solid food. I don't think you will be able to take frosting on seperately as a carry-on. I would think it would be considered a "gel like food substance", which you are only allowed to carry on 3oz or less. I also wouldn't chance a prefrosted cake, just in case the particular TSA agent interprets the rules differently than you would think (and I don't know how well it would travel, esp. when it's supposed to be a present).

If you have to take anything, I would go with the cookies.

My sister took a cheesecake on Southwest. She loved the pumpkin cheesecake at EPCOT so she brought a whole one and took it home on the plane. No problems except all the employee's at the airline wanted a taste....:banana:

Oh boy! Good luck with this!

This thread caused me to laugh out loud, as I am a member of several travel message boards. I would love to see this posted on one of them and have a bag of popcorn ready for the replies. As some of those people get down right fighting mad at some of the things, people try to carry-on. I bet this one would take the cake! :laughing: Ok had to say that!

I could just see someone taking your cake pan and turning it side ways to make room for their bag. Not that your in the wrong for having it, but people just don't care.

If you do some how figure it out and it's allowed. I have 3 request for you.

1. a before picture

2. an after picture

3. Have camera ready if for some reason the cake comes open and goes all over the person that opens the bin after landing. :rotfl2:

I really don't see why taking a cake on a plane would be such a problem. If i do end up bringing it I don't plan on letting it out of my sight. Its not like I'm going to stick it in the overhead compartment before everyone else and then forget about it and let it get man-handled by everyone else on the plane. And there is literally zero chance of it opening on someone. It it going to be SEALED shut after we go through security, so if someone does manage to get the lid off they fully deserve to be showered with cake.

I really don't see why taking a cake on a plane would be such a problem. If i do end up bringing it I don't plan on letting it out of my sight. Its not like I'm going to stick it in the overhead compartment before everyone else and then forget about it and let it get man-handled by everyone else on the plane. And there is literally zero chance of it opening on someone. It it going to be SEALED shut after we go through security, so if someone does manage to get the lid off they fully deserve to be showered with cake.

Oh I don't see it as a big problem either. But boy oh boy would some people. I laugh not at you, but at the remarks I could see them making. I also don't see you letting it get man-handled. But I have also seen enough rude flyers, that would once it was in the overheard, push it around as they please. Before you could say boo.

While we both might think it's fully deserved if someone manages to open the lid. I don't think others would see it that way.

Again, Good Luck!

Last Oct we traveled to WDW to celebrate my dd's 13th birthday. The day before we were to go home, we headed to GF Cafe for her birthday lunch. I had ordered a special cake for her birthday lunch. The total cost was almost $90, so when we had close to 3/4 of the cake left, there was no way I was leaving it in Orlando. The cake was about 10" high (3 layers) with a fondant covering, regular buttercream in between the layers. It had those gold Mickey heads stamped all over it. So, the CM boxed it up really good...put about 10 GF hand towels around it, to secure it since the box was on the big side. I took just about everything out of my carryon bag and put the cake box in it....just barely fit. When we got to security it was a hoot. The bag, with the cake, went through the security scanner. Then, it went backwards, back in again, then out and then back in again. This went on a few times. They stopped the belt, called a few other TSA people over, while I just stood there being mortified!!! They ran it through a few more times, for good measure, then asked me what the heck was in there...a wheel of cheese???!!! I explained about the leftover birthday cake..they howled with laughter, a few passengers behind me good naturedly asked if maybe they should open the box and let everyone taste it just to make sure it was cake!!!

Other than that, no problem at all.

I suggest doing it the professional way, the way you would transport it for decorating competitions.

1) Bake the cake layers and then freeze them very solid. Wrap them carefully in plastic wrap.
2) Pack each layer in a separate box that has been lined with a solid cushioning material, like foam (but not anything chunky such as peanuts, in case you get a delay and your layers defrost.)
3) Tie the boxes shut but do not tape them. You might be asked by TSA to open the boxes if the cake layers turn out to look dense on the xrays. Carry on the cake layers, because they are delicate, even frozen.
4) Also get your icing very cold. Pack it in a sealed pastry bag with room for air expansion, then inside a second ziploc, and pack it in a container with styrofoam or similar insulating material so that it won't get really hot in the hold. (You cannot use ice or dry ice in checked baggage.) Put the icing and your decorating tools in your checked baggage (because you wouldn't be able to take the tools in a carryon, anyway.) Mark the outside of the container to explain that the content is cake icing -- it is pretty much guaranteed to be inspected, because it will look suspiciously like plastic explosive material.

Then when you get to your hotel you will be able to ice the cake with your tools. You might want to also pack the final-size box flat in your checked luggage so that you will have a container to deliver it in. Don't forget tape.

As for sugar art, I really wouldn't bother. It is hellishly difficult to use in central Florida humidity, and pieces made elsewhere will nearly always soften before you can manage to serve them. (You'll notice whenever you see solid decor pieces on Disney's specialty desserts, they will be frozen solid; it is the only reliable way to keep them from drooping.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter