T-Rex Restaurant

wheredreamsbegin

DIS Veteran
We have been asked to join our friends for dinner at the T-Rex restaurant during our March visit to WDW. Before making a decision, I would like some input from the knoweldgeable people here on the DIS. Are the animatronic dinosaurs "too real?" Have they been known to scare many children? Is it necessary to have a true love of dinosaurs to enjoy this restaurant? How would you rate your overall dining experience here?

Thank you in advance for all of your input!

How old are the children? I've seen some reports of younger kids being frightened by the dinos. I think school-age children would be fine.

I've been once, it was fine, I have no need to go back. My dinner was tasty, my friend didn't like his and didn't finish it. It's chain-restaurant food, well-prepared, but nothing that you couldn't get at a Red Robin or TGI Friday. I found the prices to be outrageous, even for Disney. You're paying for the location and the experience.

If you're curious, or have kids that are into dinos, and money is no object, it's certainly worth a visit.

My daughters are 5, 3, and 1. I'm a little sketchy on this experience because my 3-year-old often worries about things like crocodiles and wolves. She has only seen these animals a couple of times at our local zoo and yet she has nightmares. She was a little scared by The Land Before Time, but she was also intrigued.

Sometimes dinosaurs are depicted as cute and not-quite-so-real. I think if the dinosaurs look too real, this is not the restaurant for us.

The dinos aren't ultra-scary like the carnotaur in Dinosaur at AK, but they're definitely not cartoony like Land Before Time. I guess you'd say they're realistic.

There's also a 'meteor shower' that's quite loud, lots of booms and flashing of lights, and every dinosaur in the place starts roaring. Sounds like she wouldn't much care for that, either.

Best to pass this time. It's a nice enough place, but there are many better places to eat on property that wouldn't be scary for her.

The dinos aren't ultra-scary like the carnotaur in Dinosaur at AK, but they're definitely not cartoony like Land Before Time. I guess you'd say they're realistic.

There's also a 'meteor shower' that's quite loud, lots of booms and flashing of lights, and every dinosaur in the place starts roaring. Sounds like she wouldn't much care for that, either.

Best to pass this time. It's a nice enough place, but there are many better places to eat on property that wouldn't be scary for her.

Enough said. The dinosaurs would probably be too much for my 3-year-old. The booming, flashing lights, and roaring would push my 5-year-old over the edge. They would both need therapy (or an adult sleeping in their bed!) for months after our vacation! :rotfl: Thanks for the wonderful descriptions of this restaurant. I appreciate it.

OP -- check out this link to pics. They look pretty real, IMO, and I've heard they are a little loud. Your DD might not appreciate them at this time!

http://www.disunplugged.com/2008/10/16/t-rex-restaurant-opens-at-downtown-disney/

BTW, I'm originally from Willoughby! ;)

Those pictures are wonderful! Thank you so much for sending the link. It looks like a really fun place. The theming seems terrific. I showed the pictures to my girls and they want to go. I'll have to think about it. I'm worried about the loud noises described in another post.

Have you been back to Willoughby lately? My girls go to school there and we spend a lot of time at the shops and restaurants in downtown Willoughby. :)

My kids love the RFC but do not like the noise there. TRex noise did not bother them. My DD is 8 and LOVES dinosaurs and my little guy was 22 months when we were there and nothing much scares him!

Have you been back to Willoughby lately? My girls go to school there and we spend a lot of time at the shops and restaurants in downtown Willoughby.

My dad, stepmom and brothers live there still, walking distance to downtown. We are up there every few months or so. Downtown has really become neat in the last few years!

I really hope you enjoy your trip to Disney, and let us know if you decide to brave TRex! We'll be going there on Valentine's day, but my DD8 (who would NOT have done well at 3) should be brave enough by now. :wave2:

My dad, stepmom and brothers live there still, walking distance to downtown. We are up there every few months or so. Downtown has really become neat in the last few years!

I really hope you enjoy your trip to Disney, and let us know if you decide to brave TRex! We'll be going there on Valentine's day, but my DD8 (who would NOT have done well at 3) should be brave enough by now. :wave2:

I'll let you know what we decide to do. I hope you have a good time at the restaurant in February. I really do appreciate all of your time and input.

It's too bad I have no idea how to pick you out of a crowd...I could potential run into you the next time you're visiting the Willoughby area!

Thanks again!

Does anyone know if there is a kid's menu posted anywhere for TRex? I assume they have one, but didn't see it.
Thanks

The dinosaurs look very real. My 5 year old DD was TERRIFIED! She was so scared that she sat under our table the whole time and didn't order any food. My 4 year old DD loved it, except for every 10 minutes or so when the meteror storm happened and the dinosaurs went crazy. That scared her. It was a little unnerving. I like the restaurant and the food was very good though. I hope they will be able to try again this year when we go to Disney, but if they say no we won't! It can be too much for littles ones for sure!

The dinosaurs definetly look real, from the pictures I have seen. However, if you have kids who can understand the idea of robots and playing-pretend, or if they've fared fine at places like Rainforest Cafe, I think they should be fine. Small children might be upset by the noise, but school aged children will probably have a nice time. My boyfriend is going here for his 18th birthday while we're in Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter