T-Rex Good or Bad?

reggiemcp

Mouseketeer
Hi All!

Have booked all my ADR's for November already. But tonite at dinner my little guy says "what about the restaurant with the octopus? I was thinking, "I have no clue what he is talking about". After some research we discovered he meant T-Rex, so my question is - good, bad or indifferent?

I have a feeling it is a bad and and as much of a ripoff as Rainforest Cafe. But I will wait for the opinions from my dis friends....

Thanks!

Meh. It's a lot like the Rainforest Cafe. If you don't like one, you won't like the other. They are both owned by Landry's restaurants, I believe.

Well if you are familiar with Rainforest Cafe, then you will be familiar with the food @ TRex.
We have been twice. Our DS6 LOVES anything and everything Dino related...honestly that is the only reason we will return.
The Good: The atmosphere/experience is fantastic if you enjoy dining with LOUD Dinos. They also have a fabulous gift shop (hard to believe;)) There is a really fun Build-your-own Dino area (like Build a Bear). There is also a neat area outside where the kids can dig in the sand to uncover dino bones.
The Bad: The portions are huge but the food is 'meh' at best and it is waaaaayyyy overpriced.
:)

We went last November, as it was the "main" reason we went to Florida, according to our 4 year old. :-) He is Dino crazy and couldn't wait to go!

The atmosphere is the best if you are a dino fan. We also did the build a dino, and spent quite awhile in the "dig" area. It is a great memory of our trip!

To make it a little more affordable (family of 6) we went for lunch.

HTH

I pretty much agree with all of the above. You have to take the good with the bad. Over priced, average food - but the atmosphere is AWESOME and kids LOVE it!

Kind of reminds me of when we went to the Crystal Palace and all my son ate was a BANANA!! :banana: A $16.00 banana! But he was so wrapped up in the characters that he was too excited!! It was worth EVERY PENNY!!

we ate there last week. It was very loud, over priced and the food was just OK. My DS liked the fossils but I wouldn't go back for just that.

I pretty much agree with everyone else... food was okay, it was loud - but the expression on my 7yr old dino-obsessed son's face was priceless.

I always get the same thing there and it's SO good-- I forget the exact name but it's grilled shrimp over wild rice with a mango salsa--yum!

I think it's a cool restaurant and we don't have kids and I really don't care for dinosaurs! lol

Agree with other posters. Food is just OK, but fantastic atmosphere. This is the only restaurant DS requested. So, we'll go back. It is a "must do". :)

We loved trex last yr, I realize same co owns rfc but we felt food was better at trex we have fd again this yr and loved it do much we have ADR forthis trip to pay oop the chicken fried steak was so good and it's not something I normally eat I tried dh last time and we plan on sharing it this time with an appy also cotontini drink was yummy and their extinction dessert way better than rfc volcano dessert it is pricey but worth doing every once in awhile it is kinda loud but so is coral reef , cp and a few others

We went last year... and could not wait to go. Originally it was for my 7 year old.. but we all couldn't wait. We were disappointed though. The atmosphere is very cool and very fun.. but ... after walking around...we were done. The food prices were way overpriced and just okay.

We won't go back :(

I am with the kids, I love Trex, the atmosphere and the lobster ravioli, YUMMY, cannot wait for our Oct trip, having lunch here before the Halloween Party.
It is very much the same theory as Rainforest, I just like the food better @ Trex and the atmoshpere better as well.We have a Rainforest here in my home area, so I donot care to go to the one in Fla.

Eh. I had nachos, which are hard to destroy and they didn't, and my then-6-year-old loved the atmosphere. We certainly wouldn't rush back but she really enjoyed it and we'd go again. Maybe. If she begged.

Thanks all for the help! Just as I suspected, but of course we will go. Being the overplanner that I am I made a reservation already, booked us for lunch on our last day. At least I know what I am getting into now.

My DS is going through a dinosaur stage, and really wants to go, so we will.

Good thing he reminded me.

I felt the food and pricing was on par for Disney! We had the queso & shrimp dip w/ fresh tortilla chips, loved the queso, but would skip the shrimp one next time. We had one mahi-mahi, cooked to order without sauce, perfect, 2 collosal chicken pot pies (creamy and delicious) and 2 french onion soups. The food was good, our waiter fun and quick, all in all, pretty good. I think it's better than RAinforest Cafe. We're going again in June, eating less and going for the huge, smoking chocolat dessert!

Hmmmm, no one has mentioned that they do have the Build a Dino store wich is only at the resturant!!! My DS 5 did that last Sept. and has not let the thing out his sight. I told him when we go back that we will have to make him another one.That for us was worth the trip there :)

Were there last week...this and Coral Reef were the only restaurants my son actually enjoyed and sat through a meal in awe so we could actually eat without chasing him around.

Worth every penny, IMO - son's happiness on our disney trip was more important than enjoying fine dining for us. And we found the "nicer restaurants" without theming to be much less "worth it" with our son not being happy and the food only marginally better.

FYI- I had the mahi-mahi taco's...and they were excellent.

My son is 18 and he loves going to the T Rex. We're going in December and that was the first restaurant on our list, after Le Cellier. It's just a fun place.

I'm taking my DS5 to TRex for the first time this July. He's not a food connoiseur and while I'm usually discerning when it comes to restaurants, for me, it's all about the experience & the Build-A-Dino for DS5. He's big into dinosaurs right now & our trip just wouldn't be complete without doing TRex. It seems like the ultimate Dinosaur-lovers dream! He's gonna flip! :banana::banana::banana:

We were there Monday night and it was great! Our server was great, our food was really good, and you can't beat the atmosphere. We had a blast. It was DS20, DD19, DD's BFF and DD's DS9months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!