Switching Resorts from Contemporary to Swan

jaye614

Mouseketeer
Contemporary thru Shades of Green for $89 per night; Swan for government rate for $129. Four nights at each - what do you think?

I guess I would take a cab from Contemporary to Swan?

when you check out of the contemporary, let them know your moving over to the swan and they will transfer all your luggage over there, and if you have time and you are going to epcot(need a ticket ), you can take the the monorail to epcot spend the day at epcot, walk to the back of the park to the countries, and on the same side as canada all the way to the very back of the park you can take a boat to the swan, its a nice boat ride. besides when you switch resorts they treat you like a new comer and they will tell you check in is 3:00 or 4:00pm so why waist the whole day waiting to check in at resort. by the way eating through the countries is fun and you get to taste the different foods. otherwise you can take a bus. make sure you get a transportation map if your going to use disneys transportation.
good luck!:)

oh, by the way what is shades of green discount? i know its their golf, but i didnt know they had a discount

Are you sure that Cont bell services will take bags over to the Swan when switching resort? If they do that's great, but a post I had earlier about switching from the Swan to BWV said they would not do this. If this is true why does Disney bell services offer there services but the S & D don't? Is it because its a Disney resort and not a DVC resort?:confused: :confused:

when we are in disney we stay at a few different resorts, and we have not had a problem, they have even shipped our bikes. we just stayed at the contemp and had our luggage shipped to animal king and then over to the allstar movie. it was great !

i would stay at the contemp and ask for the tower and the view of the magic kingdom, and dont forget to eat at chef mickeys!

I know you can use bell services to switch resorts if it is a Disney run property (which I have done and it is very convenient) but I have heard that isn't true for switching to the S/D. I was told you have to take a cab if you dont have a rental car.
Can anyone confirm?

My understanding was Disney would only switch from one Dis resort to another.

One option if you do want to switch to S/D is to check with the Mears service at the S/D. You can go to the www.swandolphin.com web site and email them for information. They responded next day to my request for costs for Mears to the golf courses. They should be able to give you a cost to pick up maybe one of you or just your luggage to bring to the resort.

wdwstar -

Shades of Green used to be the Disney Inn but is now a military hotel run by the Armed Forces. Active and Retired military can stay at awesome prices! (we were there Feb 2002 for $95 a night). Rooms are huge and sleep 5 comfortably, and there is an awesome laundry room also.

Right now the hotel is undergoing a major renovation/expansion, so all Shades of Green guests are actually being housed in the Contemporary for now.

I know there is an official website for Shades of Green but lost it when we switched computers, but if you're interested you could probably do a search and find it, or maybe someone else on this board has it.

hope this helps!

I think this is a good switch because it gives you two different settings. The Contemporary is, in my opinion, the best resort from which to venture to and from the MK. The monorail is very convenient and you can also walk. The Swan offers a great venue for visiting Epcot and MGM. Additionally, the Swan/Dolphin is so close to Boardwalk that you can enjoy that area as well.

What did they tell you about options from the Swan to the golf course? Disney resorts offer free transportation....but not the Swan, right? What is the best and most economical way to get to the golf courses? Thanks.

Dear Jenny,
The Mears towncar rates for Magnolia/Palm & Lake Buena Vista are $16.00 (flat rate) and $11.00 each way to Bonnet Creek(Osprey Ridge & Eagle Pines). All charges with a Mears towncar can be put on your room. Metered taxis may be a few dollars cheaper but are not as reliable and cannot be charged back to your room. If you do decide on a metered taxi, the doormen on the front drive can call one for you. Just ask them! I hope this was helpful.
> > Swan/Dolphin Transportation

Boy, I can't believe I still had that email! I knew it was about $25 to $30 round trip. Just depends on which course you are headed to. One of the guys at one of the golf courses told Chris you could still get taken back to S/D for free, but he took the car all the time so he never tried it. I tried to convince him he should haul the clubs on regular disney transport and take a bus! but he didn't like that idea.................

Forgot to ask, is that per person? My DH and DS always golf twice during our trip, but have never stayed at the Swan. Will it cost them $60 just to get there and back? There goes the $ we saved by playing at the twilight rate!

Carol

we stayed at the akl and my husband golfs alot, and my husband would drive to the golf course, and we took the disney transportation, bus, to the animal kingtom park and he met us there, or we would take the bus to the waterparks. if you plan it out, its really easy to get from one place to another using the disney transp. bus, boat, monirail
or we drop him off and use our cell phones to communicate when he needs to be picked up. im sure it would be cheaper to use a taxi too. but im not sure what resort your staying or i could tell you the best way to use the disney transpotation.:) :) :) :)

I will be at the Swan with a teacher's rate. The disney resorts offer free trans. to the golf courses, but the S/D does not. Hence, the cost! Thanks, anyway. We can always use any tips.

i think your best bet is to call the golf course ressie and ask them,
they may have a few ideas.

ozziewags- to be honest I don't know if that was per vehicle or round trip. My ds was going by himself and dd & I went to the parks. We juggled stuff so that he always had the car to take instead so we didn't end up using Mears.

Again, try emailing from the swandolphin website. They should be able to further explain.

I have a stupid question. Do they ask for your room key or number if you use Dis transport back to a hotel? If not, maybe you could actually go to the Y/B Clubs and then walk to Swan from there? That probably isn't really kosher but just a thought.

I think the OP will look pretty funny getting on a resort bus with all of her luggage :).

Jaye,

Can I respectfully ask why you are changing resorts? I have stayed in both resorts within the last year and the Contemporary kicks butt on the Swan, IMO. The rooms are huge, you can walk to the MK, monorail to Epcot, eat at Chef Mickey's and refill your mug only steps away from the North (SOG) Wing. The SOG rate at the CR is a steal. You're paying $40 more per night at the Swan for a lesser room and location, plus you'll have to pay to move your luggage. I just don't get it :confused:.

BTW, before the S/D Cheerleaders eat me for breakfast, I also liked the Swan when I stayed there. It's a great resort in a great location. I just happen to like the Contemporary better.

I think that the Swan/Dolphin and the CR make a great combo. That way you can really enjoy MK and the Epcot/MGM areas too. My fav combo is a Epcot area resort and a MK area resort - THE BEST OF ALL WORLDS!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter