Sweet Potatos: With or With out Marshmallow Topping?

We always had it with the marshallows when I was little.
My DH likes the kind with Orange and Brown Sugar, and some pecans too.
We have the recipe from Cracker Barrel.

No marshmallows! Brown sugar and pecan topping, all the way. Marshmallow topping makes me think of 60-s era cooking when everything contained jello and mini mallows. yuck!

OMG!!!!! Yes, the wonderful 1950's-1960's.
Uggghhhhh!!!!
When Julia Child began her career because "American's just don't know how to cool!!!" (or some paraphrase)

Jello in a fancy crystal alcoholic drink/punch glass was just all the rage as a fancy gourmet dessert...
And, putting pineapple on top of chicken breast and calling it 'Hawaiian Chicken' was some kind of international culinary truimph!!!!
Hahahaha!!!!!!!!

I cook mine in my Instant Pot and then mash them with butter and milk or cream. My sister makes them with marshmallows, and brown sugar.

Without. They are sweet enough on their own. I prefer them to be savory.

Last edited:
I make it with marshmallows for DH, but I won't touch it with a ten foot pool no matter what you put on top of it. Yuck.

I'm the only one who will touch sweet potatoes. I usually just bake them and have them with butter.

This year at Thanksgiving I'm thinking of making a small side casserole of them with marshmallow topping just for me.

I don't like sweet potatoes. But when I fix them once a year for my family it's with marshmallows.

We have them 3 ways. Mashed then baked with butter, brown sugar and pecans. Mashed with butter and mini marshmallows on top then baked till the marshmallows have a golden color and my favorite is whole, baked in Ms Butterworths syrup.

Without marshmallows. I found a recipe a few years back that has crushed pineapple, pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, and orange juice.

I like them savory and have always skipped them at Thanksgiving. However, this year I'm trying a roasted sweet potato recipe for Thursday that has both sweet and savory.

Does no one else just dice them up and roast them (olive oil, salt, pepper, and sometimes herbs)? Crispy and delicious.

We also do this with beets, rainbow carrots, and brussels sprouts. It is always the first thing to go (and something we now make throughout the year).

I like them savory and have always skipped them at Thanksgiving. However, this year I'm trying a roasted sweet potato recipe for Thursday that has both sweet and savory.
What's the sweet part?

One Thanksgiving I made a recipe where you reduced apple cider into a syrup and then drizzled that over the roasted sweet potatoes right before serving. It was good, not too sweet.

Does no one else just dice them up and roast them (olive oil, salt, pepper, and sometimes herbs)? Crispy and delicious.

We also do this with beets, rainbow carrots, and brussels sprouts. It is always the first thing to go (and something we now make throughout the year).

What's the sweet part?

One Thanksgiving I made a recipe where you reduced apple cider into a syrup and then drizzled that over the roasted sweet potatoes right before serving. It was good, not too sweet.

I roast almost every veggie out there the way you describe except sweet potoates.

The casserole is just too easy and well loved for Thanksgiving and every other day of the year, just baked with butter and brown sugar or just butter is the only way I want them.

We eat sweet potatoes a lot and around here you can buy them from a farmer on every street corner so there is just an abundance. And they replace regular white potatoes so well.

Of course there is the whole fact that they are a lot of trouble to peel and cut up so any way to cook whole is just easy for me.

We only put marshmallows on if we're doing it as a casserole. Our preferred way of doing them is to peel them, halve them, parboil and then finish in the oven with a dab of brown sugar on top. It creates a sugary crust on top of the potato.

That (or just baked) is how I cook them when I make them for dinner which is rare, because I still find them to be too sweet even plain. Something I found interesting when we were traveling in Africa was that foods I generally avoid here for being overly sweet -- pumpkin, sweet potato, butternut squash -- I suddenly loved over there. The flavors were complex and mellow and delicious because (I'm assuming) the foods haven't been artificially selected/GMO'd for maximum sweetness. I was disappointed to realize these veggies don't have to taste like a mouthful of sugar, we've just made them that way. (Yes, I know most people like sweets and I'm the exception, so majority rules. :laughing:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter