SWDAS Cruises - What are your thoughts?

Our family just got back from our Feb. 6 sailing and I gotta say, it was an overall good experience.

Let me start by saying this was our first time cruising with DCL. I read a few SWDAS reviews online before leaving so I was trying to see if anything changed for our cruise (lowered my expectations for it at least).

So a little about us: In our group of four (me[25], mother, grandma, sister[15]), I'm the only one who knows about Star Wars. I'm not a super fan by any means, but I do love the franchise so you can imagine how excited everyone else was about SWDAS in my family. :P Anyhow, here's what happened on our day:

We all woke up around 8AM to attend Jedi Training. My sis and I were too old to join, but we decided to take a peek because we've never seen it before. We headed down to WD theatre for the 8:30 showing and they actually didn't start until 9ish because they were still waiting for kids to show up! My advice to parents who want their children to get picked: attend an earlier showing and get there early! We noticed the first few families trickling in and immediately the CMs asked the kids to take part. They were practically pulling every youngling they could see when the doors first opened. After about 15 mins, larger crowds came in and that's when they started getting choosey. It was especially heartbreaking to see a group of three boys excitedly want to join in the fun, but only one of them got chosen for the show. :c It seems DCL did up the amount of kids per show. We stayed for the whole event, but it was getting old by the time the last kid got up stage, haha.

After the Trial of the Temple, we roamed around the atrium. Saw some Jawas interacting with guests, but we didn't stay long. Our group split up after this. My sis and I headed to Deck 11 for the Pool Patrol. It was...underwhelming IMO. Only two stormtroopers and their ways kept getting blocked by people crowding around them trying to take photos. Luckily for us, a stormtrooper passed us by (we were standing in the middle section by the soda machines on the port side). Snapped a great photo of him, but he walked by fast. At this point, my sis left to go play Battlefront in VIBE, so I stayed to see Boba Fett. He came out and did a whole bunch of poses with voiced lines, but that was it. I overheard kids and adults alike wondering if he was going to jump off from that height.

At this point, there was some down time before the next event, so I headed back to our room to put on my costume for our Meet&Greets. Ran into the rest of my family on my way to our first pick (Dark Side). We were running a little late (1:10 ticket and we got there for 1:20). The CM was very nice and allowed us to go ahead of the 1:20 groups. We chatted with a few families ahead of us and everyone mentioned they got two tickets for these events. We definitely did and also got the ones we wanted. Darth Vader was there for our 1:10 and R2-D2/C-3PO for our 3:40. It was unfortunate to see that C-3PO didn't have his red arm and he didn't talk either. I wanted to ask about his red arm. :c Also, it felt more like photo ops than interactive experiences. Granted, some families did get a line from Vader here and there. He couldn't use any of his preset lines on us though since we were Rey and Kylo Ren, lol. He stared at me really closely so I said in a really loud voice "HI GRANDPA!" and the kids right behind us started laughing like crazy.

During the break between our first Greet and second, we joined the costume celebration at 2PM. My sister didn't feel like participating so we settled to look at the proceedings by Shutters. And a good thing we did too because Ahsoka surprisingly (and quietly) snuck behind us and we got great pictures of her. She was roaming around behind all the groups watching the celebration. We took a breather out on deck 4 afterwards. Got a couple of pics of us in costume lounging on the deck chairs. It was around 4PM now and we were surprised to see two stormtroopers walking on by. There were maybe a total of 8 people outside (us included) so it was weird seeing them there without anyone around. They stopped by and warned us to be on the lookout for resistance sympathizers. And then promptly pulled my sis away and asked her for ID (she was still Rey at this point). Got a good laugh out of that. We grabbed some good photos and then everyone on the inside realized there were stormtroopers outside so lets just say it got crowded again, real fast.

Sis and I did a few more activities after this, but they weren't SW themed. We had first dinner so we headed back to the room to change. The show where they ask for audience participation in character roles was super funny. Retelling the movies in 5 mins each is a lot more entertaining when everyone's into their role. I don't know the name of the guy who was picked for Darth Vader on our sailing, but kudos to you man! You did an amazing job! :D

When 5:45 rolled around, everyone was eager to see the new SW menus. And wow, they were gorgeous! I definitely agree with all other people I've talked to and reviewers alike: these things are da bomb! Holographic-like and they give a cool 3D effect when you move it a little. Wish these suckers were for sale. Now since the rest of my family knows nothing about SW, they were totally cool with the menu and dishes that were served. I, however, blindly wished they would have fixed this detail from past sailings: aside from the name of the dish, nothing about it reminded me of SW. The only redeeming quality were the desserts, but those were there from the start. Lord Vader's Nerf Steak and Obi Wan's Shroom Steak were just regular meals with SW names attached. Like everyone else said, the servers just wore regular server clothes with SW name tags. Everyone else in my family thought they were just the regular tags they wore!

After the dinner, we all went to see Force Awakens. It was fun to see it in 3D again, but I felt it was much darker, lighting-wise? It may have had something to do with the 3D glasses. I don't recall it looking so dark at the AMC theatre. And then right after the show, we went up to Deck 11 for the show/fireworks. They didn't change the show. It still played like a catwalk with SW characters, unfortunately. The fireworks were good though!

We did go to the late-night buffet, but were too full from dinner to really try anything. The desserts were the only things we found that were remotely SW themed, but by little chocolate decors. And as for decors, they definitely didn't add more SW decorations around the ship. There were the shops, the giant SWDAS display in the atrium...and the late-night buffet stuff that was 80% borrowed from the shops/popcorn places.

My sis decided to go to VIBE at this point again so I went to the superfan contest. Mom wasn't feeling up to it so I went alone. Everyone who walks in is handed a remote. There are three rounds and each gets progressively harder. Padawan<Jedi Knight<Jedi Master. Only 20 people make it to Jedi Knight. The remotes are only used for the Padawan round with multiple choice and quickness in selecting answers count. Very fun, very enjoyable. And congrats to the two gals who made it to the final Force Lightning round! Once that was over, I headed back for some sleep.

Overall, I came in hoping they'd fix a few things here and there from past sailings, but it seems like they didn't. One thing they did do, which I was super happy about, was to leave the SW music on the whole day! When I headed back to our room, SW music was still playing. I can't deny that I did have lots of fun, but I feel like for the price we paid, there should have been more.

Our first Disney cruise was truly spectacular and we loved everything about the Fantasy. It's only been 12 hours and I sorely miss it. Here's hoping they listen to everyone's comments and suggestions for future sailings.

Last edited:
So odd C3PO didn't have his red arm for you! We didn't get to meet the droids but did see pics and he had his red arm on the inaugural cruise. And we had a fun interactive experience with Captain Phasma but I know it wasn't the norm for these meet&greet/photo ops.

And congrats to the two gals who made it to the final Force Lightning round!

Thanks. :D (I'm the girl who won. :) )

I had a great time on the cruise, but I'm a huge fan of DCL in general. Add Star Wars and I'm a happy camper. We had meet and greets with Phasma and the droids, saw the guest speaker, Keith Kellogg, saw one of the Star Wars 101 sessions (great job by Jess cramming everything into 45 minutes), watched the Pool Patrol and heard the horn at 12, caught roaming characters outside on Deck 4, and watched the costume celebrations. Mostly, it was fun seeing everyone so excited about Star Wars. I do think there was room for improvement, however, and will say so on my online survey.

Yoriel_Wiz, thanks for the in depth review! Did you attend the session with the guest speaker?

@fab1976 : The adults in front of us seemed more upset by the missing red arm than the kids! xD And I did talk to one group that had Phasma. They mentioned she used a lot of quotes with them and walked around a lot.

@nancipants : Congrats on stomping the competition! The Superfan Contest was a good ending to SWDAS. :)

@Stasia5 : Unfortunately, I believe the times conflicted with something we wanted to do (non-star wars related) so we didn't go. My mom went, however and mentioned it was very informative and eye-opening. She's seen SW Ep. VI the day before so she knows at least that much of Star Wars, haha. Not much I got out of her though. But it looks like Nanci went, so perhaps she can shed some light on Keith Kellogg.

Also about the buffet. I had about 15 mins to grab something to eat before the Superfan Contest started.

We went right to trivia after the buffet. It was packed, and we weren't very hungry anyway. The trivia started a little late because everyone was making their way down to The Tube after the fireworks. I did not expect to win at all--I've seen trivia contests at conventions and there's a ton of stuff I don't know--so I was pleasantly surprised. And my husband said he's never been more attracted to me. :D

The guest speaker was interesting, like I said. It was one of Lucasfilm's animation supervisors. He did a presentation about how they produce Star Wars Rebels, showed some examples of how they animate characters, and discussed how they work with overseas animators to create the episodes. I knew some of the information from going to other conventions and Star Wars Weekends, but it was still interesting. Afterwards he did meet and greets and signed items in Preludes, but that was by his choosing. (Someone earlier mentioned Pablo Hidalgo didn't do that; I don't think he's allowed to). I think the value of the guest speaker sessions will depend greatly on who exactly is on your cruise.

I'm booked on an upcoming SWDAS cruise and am disappointed that some of what was advertised in the DCL promos isn't actually occurring on these sailings. Now, before anyone starts to blast me :duck:, I've already been berated by someone from my cruise meet and told that, basically, I must be stupid to think that 'A' list celebrities would be on the boat and I should just get over it. Firstly, I never expected 'A' listers. I was thinking maybe bit part actors, voice actors, or those who may have worked behind the scenes on the movies. Secondly, this was one of the main reasons we booked this cruise instead of a non-SWDAS one, the meet and greet with characters being the other. Due to the popularity, this cruise was more expensive than what I would normally pay, but thought it was worth it for what was being offered. Others on my cruise meet have made it seem that I should just be happy Disney was willing to take my money and allow me the privilege to sail with them. :rolleyes:

Sorry, rant over, onto my question! For those who have already sailed, do you think Disney delivered (yes or no) and why? For those saying no, did you contact Disney and did you get a response?

For future cruisers, did you book solely because, hey it's Star Wars!!, or like me was it because of what specifically was being offered.

And I've seen how heated some threads have gotten, so let's try and keep it civil, Ok? :teeth: If you had a great time and thought everything was perfect, that's wonderful! If you were disappointed and felt the cruise that was advertised, this was not, you should get to vent without judgement. Everyone understand the rules? Great! And go........
I'm booked on an upcoming SWDAS cruise and am disappointed that some of what was advertised in the DCL promos isn't actually occurring on these sailings. Now, before anyone starts to blast me :duck:, I've already been berated by someone from my cruise meet and told that, basically, I must be stupid to think that 'A' list celebrities would be on the boat and I should just get over it. Firstly, I never expected 'A' listers. I was thinking maybe bit part actors, voice actors, or those who may have worked behind the scenes on the movies. Secondly, this was one of the main reasons we booked this cruise instead of a non-SWDAS one, the meet and greet with characters being the other. Due to the popularity, this cruise was more expensive than what I would normally pay, but thought it was worth it for what was being offered. Others on my cruise meet have made it seem that I should just be happy Disney was willing to take my money and allow me the privilege to sail with them. :rolleyes:

Sorry, rant over, onto my question! For those who have already sailed, do you think Disney delivered (yes or no) and why? For those saying no, did you contact Disney and did you get a response?

For future cruisers, did you book solely because, hey it's Star Wars!!, or like me was it because of what specifically was being offered.

And I've seen how heated some threads have gotten, so let's try and keep it civil, Ok? :teeth: If you had a great time and thought everything was perfect, that's wonderful! If you were disappointed and felt the cruise that was advertised, this was not, you should get to vent without judgement. Everyone understand the rules? Great! And go........
After reading many of these replies I have learned a few things. One thing I didn't know was that I paid extra because this was a themed cruise. We took this one because of the dates and where the ports of call were. Star Wars was just an added bonus. I am a fan, but was glad that not every day was dedicated to Star Wars. It was also my first cruise ever. I found that there are just too many things available to do them all. I don't get it why people would want to tie up many hours of their time on a cruise watching movies they could see any time off the ship. My character pics were with Darth Maul and Darth Vader. I think the droids only appeared at the evening deck party. It was a time commitment to be there also. My wife went up 30 minutes early while I watched the movie (which was over 15 minutes before the deck party started) and the place was already packed. We used our way phones to text where to find each other. For us it was just the right amount of Star Wars. I did the detective agency thing also, and am surprised they didn't add a mystery that was Star Wars themed.

I couldn't swing any of the dates for the SW cruises this year and I feel a little left out. I'm hoping that DCL determines these cruises are successful and decides to continue them to coincide with the other SW movie releases and park upgrades that they offer these SW cruises next year and beyond because I would definitely book one.

We also just got back from the 2/6 sailing. We had a fabulous time. That said, I did have some expectations downgraded before attending based on reviews I read here on previous sailings. Here are my thoughts.

Jedi Training Academy
We showed up for the first one at 8:30. My daughter did not get selected to participate and was disappointed. I noticed they were only pulling kids they could walk to - meaning those on the end of the aisles, in rows with empty rows in front or behind them or as people walked in. We were sitting toward the front in the middle. She did get chosen the second time we attended. We were sure to have her on an aisle seat.

Note: Do not have your kids in crocs or open toed shoes if you want them picked. They will not pick kids with that kind of shoe on. That is part of the reason they are only picking those they can walk up to. They need to check the footwear.

They were also picking 30 kids per session and appeared to have more sessions scheduled than previous sailings.

All that said, we found the trials cute and my daughter had a blast. It was definitely a highlight for her.

Roaming Characters
They were a little better about stopping for pictures though they did still keep moving for the most part. The Jawas were amazing. Be sure to have something metal on you. They were not interested in sugar packets, chocolate coins or anything of the like. We traded some bobby pins. The Imperial guards were also A+. They would get right up in your face to intimidate you and followed some folks around until they noticed them.

Pool Patrol
This was great even with Boba Fett just standing in his spot above the pool and doing much of nothing. The stormtroopers paused to take pictures with people and were generally very entertaining.

The movies
We managed to catch Empire on Cozumel day and TFA on SWASD. It was great watching TFA with fans. The audience got really into it at points.

The Meet & Greets
We got to go to all 3 thanks the friends we were with. We both got dark side at the same time. My family had Tatooine and theirs had Bespin. We went to each others (party of 7 in total) with no difficulty. During the dark side meet, we had some women continue to slide toward the back of the line as they were waiting on Phasma. They were allowed to do so. We got Darth Vader, the droids and Chewbacca and were happy with all our meets. They take the pictures pretty quickly so even if there is a line when you show up, expect it to move fast. We were also able to take all the pictures we wanted. We got family shots and pics with just my daughter and the characters.

Dinner
We had 2nd seating and they moved this from 8:15 to 8pm that night. This worked out great. We were done by 10pm and had plenty of time to get to deck 11 and get excellent spots for the show and fireworks. We were about 4 people back from the front and center. 11 of us were able to be seated with no problem. It filled up shortly after that so I would recommend showing up 30 minutes before if you want good spots on the deck. The railings were already full when we showed up at 10.

The food was, well... disappointing beyond the dessert. I got the Han Solo Carbonite sundae and it was the best dessert I had all week (sorry Remy and Palo). I also wish they had more than the one alcohol themed drink. The Galaxy in the glass was fine but I really wanted something with an LED Death Star ice cube like at Star Wars weekends.

Final show and fireworks
The show was just a runway walk of all the characters we saw and some that no one got to see until then. I'm looking at you Sabine. The fireworks, however, were amazing.
Other stuff
We skipped the trivia challenges and the buffet so I cannot speak to those. I truly loved the overall ambiance of the day with the music playing in the hallways and all the people walking around dressed up. The overall feel for the day was one of happiness for me.

the buffet is just like the pirate buffet except themed the star wars but its the same time and run the same way as pirate. its a huge wasted expense in my opinion because its only open for an hour and its after you have eaten a huge dinner. we usually go to get a turkey leg and i saw pictures of some sliders that looked good.

Anyone here who just got off the February 20th SWDAS cruise? Wondering who the guest speaker was :)

The guest speaker was Steve Sansweet, owner of Rancho Obi-Wan that houses the largest Star Wars collection of memorabilia

The guest speaker was Steve Sansweet, owner of Rancho Obi-Wan that houses the largest Star Wars collection of memorabilia

Thank you! I like knowing who it is each week, keep wondering if they will get any bigger, as far fetched as that's looking!

We were on the February 6th sailing and overall were very pleased. Now we didn't book the cruise just because it had a SWDAS, we actually booked because there was a Fl Resident deal and SWDAS was an added bonus. We like Star Wars but are far from super fans & even though we're close to WDW, we've never been to a Star Wars weekend.

Character Meet and Greets: We picked Tatooine and the Dark Side as our 1 & 2. We saw the Droids which we were thankful for because they were my 1st choice. I asked the CM at the door when we arrived with our tickets if we could know who was inside and she said no. I explained that I had hoped for the droids because Darth Maul would probably be too scary for our 16 month old. She kind of said it'll all be okay. C3PO didn't talk liked I'd seen in a previous video but that was okay. They were both pretty interactive with our son who wasn't too thrilled with them. He was wearing an R2D2 shirt so R2D2 tried to make friends. We saw Captain Phasma on Thursday and her interaction was fun. We had kind of hoped for Darth Vader but were pleasantly pleased.

Other Characters: we saw them roaming the decks and it was fun to watch people. The Jawas were funny, especially what they'd trade or wouldn't. The Imperial Officers were great! We got a picture of our son in his Yoda costume with them behind him checking him out. We didn't expect or really want pictures with anyone so just watching it all was just fine with us.

Pool Patrol: I saw both rounds and again just fun to watch. The storm troopers kind of got mobbed for pictures so they'd stop for a few and then move on. It was funny to watch them check out people's food or the trash can.

Guest Speaker: I went to the first presentation by Keith Kellogg and enjoyed it very much. I have not seen any of the SW Rebels so I had no knowledge of story/character but it was informative and interesting. I couldn't stay for the meet and greet at that time but caught him after the 2nd presentation and he was friendly and took time for everyone. It was also neat to see him around the ship with his family, we caught him on the Aqua Duck.

Food: We had a Death Star burger which we thought was very good. I thought the bun was more delicious than the actual burger. At dinner I had the Qui-Gon's Crisp chicken & it was amazing! Hubby had the swordfish and his was very good too. We walked through the late night buffet but just couldn't eat anything (we had late dinner seating).

Summon the Force & Fireworks: Great ending to the day! I thought the video piece was put together nicely. We were thankful they made everyone sit on the pool deck so people could see. It was nice to see all the characters during the show that we didn't see other places. Fireworks are always great.

Misc: We saw Episode VII (for the first time) in 3D at the 4:45pm showing. It was neat to see it on the ship because there was cheering for certain things, like when the Millenium Falcon & Hans Solo appeared. We didn't make it to any of the trivia, games, jedi training and that was okay. We caught one of the costume contests just because we were walking through the atrium. There was a lot of merchandise to choose from, both in design and quantity.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the SWDAS photo backdrop. Even though it was up all week, we only saw photo opportunities on embarkation day and SWDAS. The rest of the time it was roped off. That would have been okay if our picture from Shutters wasn't cut off at the top so the Death Star had a flat top. We were disappointed with Shutters and hope DCL will dump them & switch to Photopass!

Just my honest opinion, but I think some people are forgetting that it's not a Star Wars cruise. It's a Star Wars DAY at Sea and we thought it was a great day. We loved hearing the music in the halls and choose to not stress over trying to do it all. I think if you have an open mind and flexible attitude, you'll have a great day, just like any other day on DCL.

many people have wished they not renew their contract with shutters and go in house but I guess for the cruiseline it makes more sense for them to keep shutters. I think because it's cheaper benefits wise to pay third party.

We were on the Feb 6th cruise as well. I think its a matter of expectation and Disney probably set the expectation too high. We had a great time and would absolutely do it again. If you go into it thinking that its going to be like Star Wars Weekends then you will definitely be disappointed. If you lower your expectations and just agree to enjoy the day no matter what, you will have a great time! I'm a huge Star Wars fan and with our weekend hobby, my wife and I get to see Star Wars characters all the time. Because of this, the lack of character interaction really didn't bother me. We had much more fun just looking at all of the guest costumes. Some of them were amazing and far better than the Disney Character costumes.

We scheduled a break in the middle of the day for a Palo Brunch because we wanted to see if they would let us wear our costumes in the restaurant. They had no problem with it and we were even asked by many of the Waitstaff to get pictures with them as they had not seen costumers up there before.

SWDAS%20Palo%202_zps9haqfod7.jpg

SWDAS%20Palo%201_zpsts8ik0bl.jpg

We just got off the Fantasy February 20th sailing. We had so much fun on the SWDAS. There were Star Wars characters everywhere. We got to meet C3PO and R2D2, Chewbacca and Boba Fett at the meet and greets. Chewbacca was fantastic and C3PO was very talkative. Even my husband, who is not a big Star Wars fan, had a good time. We went out on deck 4 in the morning and got pics with the Stormtroopers. They just kept walking around the deck and were happy to have pics taken. The only thing that I was disappointed with was with the guest speaker, Steve Sansweet, owner of Rancho Obi-Wan. It just came off as an advertisement for his "non-profit" hobby. He just talked about his Star Wars collection and the building of his ranch. Literally, 45 minutes of watching his collection grow and his ranch being rebuilt thru a slide show. I thought maybe he would talk about behind the scenes at the filming of Star Wars, but he did not. The only thing he said about George Lucas was that he told his wife that Steve had a bigger Star Wars collection than he had.

We went on the inaugural January 9th cruise for our honeymoon. We are big Star Wars fans but are not super fanatic about it. I had totally forgotten about the cantina part until one of our dinner mates mentioned it. We had an overall good experience, we were smiling and happy most of the day. We met Captain Phasma and Dark Maul. We were most surprised that they didn't have a Kylo Ren character walking around. We met a lot of awesome people though and I personally enjoyed chasing around the characters like paparazzi. What I found is the characters would play with you if you egged them on and I got some awesome photos out of it. Oh, and the Obi Wan passenger was the best thing ever on our cruise, he was so nice about everybody wanting to take photos with him. We are pretty easy going people though so I guess it just depends on what your expectations are. We were also aware we were the first cruise and I'm sure there would be kinks to iron out. The music playing throughout the day and the general vibe was really cool. It was fun seeing so many geeky fans all together.
12510375_10153946152860739_6386282137703048890_n.jpg

The only thing I was disappointed with was the SWDAS photo backdrop. Even though it was up all week, we only saw photo opportunities on embarkation day and SWDAS. The rest of the time it was roped off. That would have been okay if our picture from Shutters wasn't cut off at the top so the Death Star had a flat top. We were disappointed with Shutters and hope DCL will dump them & switch to Photopass!

Our picture with the backdrop from that day cut the "day at sea" part from the bottom, so it just says Star Wars. So either they go too high and cut the words off the bottom or too low and cut the Death Star off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter