Swan/Dolphin vs Disney Resorts

dnp

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are planning a trip to WDW with our 8yo son from 10/30/18-11/4/18 and are strongly considering the Swan/Dolphin; however, in the past we've always stayed off-site in a suite/efficiency that offers a lot more space and privacy so I'm a little hesitant to book a standard hotel room despite the benefits of staying "on site". The suites at the Swan/Dolphin are just ridiculously expensive though, so I'm trying to figure out if there's a Disney property that might work better for us while still being on par with the Swan/Dolphin.

We've priced out the Swan with my wife's corporate discount and it comes out to just under $2200 for the 5 nights. We're likely doing 3-day MYW tickets and those are about $900 as far as I can tell. I also priced out a package through Costco travel and for the same hotel/room AND the tickets it's just under $2500, which is clearly a better deal.

Obviously it's all going to depend on availability but given the information I've posted above, am I wasting my time looking for a Disney hotel with a suite or something similar for somewhere around the same price? I don't know if my wife's corporate discount will apply to Disney resorts but I guess she can call her HR department to find out. Are there any other avenues I can explore that might make a Disney property a more affordable option for us? Thank you in advance for any guidance.

You could check David's DVC rentals. They rent out DVC points that can be used to book a 1 Bedroom. People also rent out those points directly on these boards. If you are paying around $400 a night for a suite, though, it may be hard to beat that. The Swan and Dolphin's location make them able to charge those sorts of prices.

You could check David's DVC rentals. They rent out DVC points that can be used to book a 1 Bedroom. People also rent out those points directly on these boards. If you are paying around $400 a night for a suite, though, it may be hard to beat that. The Swan and Dolphin's location make them able to charge those sorts of prices.

The prices I listed above are not for a suite - it's just a regular hotel room with 2 queen beds and a balcony.

The prices I listed above are not for a suite - it's just a regular hotel room with 2 queen beds and a balcony.

Ah, then I would check David's. If you are planning for a trip more than 6 months out, then you could get some 1 BRs for around that same cost. If a price looks too good to be true, such as Boardwalk Standard, that's because it is and an owner gobbled it up. Animal Kingdom Standard view should be available though, and that comes with 2 bathrooms if you stay in Kidani. Old Key West and Saratoga Springs should also be open. You are trading more space for a longer trek to the parks, though. Although DVC rental does include free parking both at the resort and the parks.

(Worth noting that the prices I looked at were for a cheaper time of the year. If you are hoping to go over Christmas, you will pay considerably more)

Our dates are 10/30/18-11/4/18 and those are firm since we already booked our flights. I went to David's site and using the cost calculator i see AK Standard listed at $2096 if I'm reading it correctly. Add in our tickets and we're at $3000, which is about $500 more than the Costco package deal. Is that about as good as I'm going to get? I'm reading up in the Discounts and Codes thread and I'm wondering if I could do better with a code or with my wife's corporate discount. And then I also see a thread about Priceline and HotWire deals...so many options:)

Well you have quite a few variables here. First is when are you going? Disney offers several discounts at varying times of year, depending on when you go.
It also depends on your vacation style. I find the rooms at Swolphin perfectly fine for our family of 4 space wise. When I’ve stayed in suites with full kitchens I’ve actually found it to be a waste bc I hate to cook on vacation and don’t use it. We also spend most of our times at the parks or out in the pool, so again having extra living space in our room just goes to waste.

If you do decide to book at Swan/Dolphin the Costco packages are usually priced well. However, you can always try Hotwire/Priceline for deals close to the trip.

Personally, I prefer the Disney onsite hotels that are fully Disney owned. However, I found the Swolphin resort to be an awesome stay.

Good luck on your vacation! You’re going to have a blast!

Our dates are 10/30/18-11/4/18 and those are firm since we already booked our flights. I went to David's site and using the cost calculator i see AK Standard listed at $2096 if I'm reading it correctly. Add in our tickets and we're at $3000, which is about $500 more than the Costco package deal. Is that about as good as I'm going to get? I'm reading up in the Discounts and Codes thread and I'm wondering if I could do better with a code or with my wife's corporate discount. And then I also see a thread about Priceline and HotWire deals...so many options:)

For something specifically with two rooms, most likely. Art of Animation has suites, but those tend to be pricier as well. Worth looking at least to see if you can get a good enough code. I'm sure you can find some on site hotel rooms for cheaper, but not with the amenities and location that Swan/Dolphin offer.

Are you an SPG member? I see on their web site that for those dates Dolphin is $298/night and Swan is $318/night.
At those rates, it seems like the Costco package is a good deal with tickets included.

Well you have quite a few variables here. First is when are you going? Disney offers several discounts at varying times of year, depending on when you go.
It also depends on your vacation style. I find the rooms at Swolphin perfectly fine for our family of 4 space wise. When I’ve stayed in suites with full kitchens I’ve actually found it to be a waste bc I hate to cook on vacation and don’t use it. We also spend most of our times at the parks or out in the pool, so again having extra living space in our room just goes to waste.

If you do decide to book at Swan/Dolphin the Costco packages are usually priced well. However, you can always try Hotwire/Priceline for deals close to the trip.

Personally, I prefer the Disney onsite hotels that are fully Disney owned. However, I found the Swolphin resort to be an awesome stay.

Good luck on your vacation! You’re going to have a blast!

I guess it's not so much about the space as it is the privacy. I understand what you're saying about the cooking - we don't plan to cook at all either. We would just like to have a space of our own to retreat to after a long day at the parks. And if we could somehow finagle a 2nd bathroom, that would be awesome! The kitchen isn't all that important to us.

Are you an SPG member? I see on their web site that for those dates Dolphin is $298/night and Swan is $318/night.
At those rates, it seems like the Costco package is a good deal with tickets included.

Yes, I am an SPG member; however, it seems like the best rate I got was with my wife's corporate discount. Like you said, the Costco package deal is the better option if we decide to go that route. I'm a little unclear on what kind of room I get with the Costco deal though. They have a contracted rate but I'm not sure if the room is the 2 queen room with the balcony, which is the price quote of just under $2200 that I got from SPG central reservations. The room would need to be exactly the same for it to be an apples to apples comparison.

Those dates are tough because it is Wine and Dine Race Weekend so I think you will have a hard time finding Disney resorts with a good price. You could wait and check Priceline for Swan/Dolphin closer to the date but I would probably book the Costco package just to have peace of mind.

Those dates are tough because it is Wine and Dine Race Weekend so I think you will have a hard time finding Disney resorts with a good price. You could wait and check Priceline for Swan/Dolphin closer to the date but I would probably book the Costco package just to have peace of mind.

Ah - I didn't realize that. I know it's the Food & Wine Festival is that time too, but I didn't realize there was something else going on as well. I'm leaning towards the Costco package but I need to get clarity on the room first AND I want to see if there's any way to get a suite instead. I'm also thinking that once I book with Costco I'm locked in so I need to be 100% sure before I pull the trigger.

And if we could somehow finagle a 2nd bathroom, that would be awesome!
Welcome to the dis, dnp.

The Swan does have a second sink/vanity area outside the regular bathroom area. Not a full extra bathroom, but better than not having it. The Dolphin does not.

I'm staying over those dates, Oct 26-Nov 4 to be precise. We are doing the first 4 nights at the Dolphin, and the last 5 at the Swan. Got all of the nights thru a combo of Priceline and Hotwire. Paying around $180 a night. There is a thread on how to find specific resorts on Priceline. You may want to check it out.

Unfortunately you won't find cheap suites on Disney property at a deluxe resort. The closest thing would be an All Star Suite at the Music, and that is definitely a value resort. You have to decide which is more important, space or cost.

Welcome to the dis, dnp.

The Swan does have a second sink/vanity area outside the regular bathroom area. Not a full extra bathroom, but better than not having it. The Dolphin does not.

That's great information - thank you!

I'm staying over those dates, Oct 26-Nov 4 to be precise. We are doing the first 4 nights at the Dolphin, and the last 5 at the Swan. Got all of the nights thru a combo of Priceline and Hotwire. Paying around $180 a night. There is a thread on how to find specific resorts on Priceline. You may want to check it out.

Unfortunately you won't find cheap suites on Disney property at a deluxe resort. The closest thing would be an All Star Suite at the Music, and that is definitely a value resort. You have to decide which is more important, space or cost.

I will look for that thread. Hopefully it has the same info for Hotwire as well. Thank you.

I think you want an Art of Animation suite. 2 bathrooms. Separate living and bedroom. Slow time of year these run mid 200s.

I think you want an Art of Animation suite. 2 bathrooms. Separate living and bedroom. Slow time of year these run mid 200s.

That is coming up as not available on the Disney site.
You are too late to book using DVC points, even through a broker. Those dates are all pretty much booked up.

Ok - I might have to resort to Priceline or Hotwire then as long as I can figure how to guarantee that I'm getting 2 queen beds (and hopefully a balcony as well) at the Swan. I'm researching how to figure out Priceline and Hotwire hotels but it looks like it might be tough to discern between the Swan and the Dolphin.

For Priceline Express deals the Swan is 4.5 stars and usually has the description "You'll be wowed by this property's contemporary rooms and verdant grounds", Dolphin is 4 stars and has the description "Both the decor and varied recreation options are fun and colorful here." Both usually show a $31.50 resort fee but some people have reported the fee not showing in the listing. This of course is not a 100% guarantee.

The Priceline thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/priceline-express-deals.3598657/ has more information.

My wife and I are planning a trip to WDW with our 8yo son from 10/30/18-11/4/18 and are strongly considering the Swan/Dolphin; however, in the past we've always stayed off-site in a suite/efficiency that offers a lot more space and privacy so I'm a little hesitant to book a standard hotel room despite the benefits of staying "on site". The suites at the Swan/Dolphin are just ridiculously expensive though, so I'm trying to figure out if there's a Disney property that might work better for us while still being on par with the Swan/Dolphin.

We've priced out the Swan with my wife's corporate discount and it comes out to just under $2200 for the 5 nights. We're likely doing 3-day MYW tickets and those are about $900 as far as I can tell. I also priced out a package through Costco travel and for the same hotel/room AND the tickets it's just under $2500, which is clearly a better deal.

Obviously it's all going to depend on availability but given the information I've posted above, am I wasting my time looking for a Disney hotel with a suite or something similar for somewhere around the same price? I don't know if my wife's corporate discount will apply to Disney resorts but I guess she can call her HR department to find out. Are there any other avenues I can explore that might make a Disney property a more affordable option for us? Thank you in advance for any guidance.

The only resorts onsite that are really on par with Swan/Dolphin in terms of amenities and location are the WDW deluxes and dvc villas which will cost much more than the Swan/Dolphin. If you are looking for nice resorts that still have some perks, you could take a look at the Disney Springs hotels that recently added the 60 day FP+ perk, but they don't offer EMH (if that's of interest to you) and they are much further away from the parks than Swan/Dolphin. In terms of space, at, possibly a lower cost, you might want to consider the Cabins at Ft. W if you have any interest in a more rustic atmosphere. If you went that route, you might want to consider renting a golf cart to get around the resort, though. The only other resorts that offer more space than a standard room at less cost would be family suites at AoA and ASMu, but they are value resorts and are no where on par with Swan/Dolphin. Have you priced out the Dolphin? It usually prices out less than the Swan. If you can snag a Priceline Express deal, they are really good!

For Priceline Express deals the Swan is 4.5 stars and usually has the description "You'll be wowed by this property's contemporary rooms and verdant grounds", Dolphin is 4 stars and has the description "Both the decor and varied recreation options are fun and colorful here." Both usually show a $31.50 resort fee but some people have reported the fee not showing in the listing. This of course is not a 100% guarantee.

The Priceline thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/priceline-express-deals.3598657/ has more information.

I'm not seeing anything that looks like the Swan to me for my dates. Even if I do find it, how can I be sure that I will get two queen beds when it doesn't allow me to enter the number of people traveling?

The only resorts onsite that are really on par with Swan/Dolphin in terms of amenities and location are the WDW deluxes and dvc villas which will cost much more than the Swan/Dolphin. If you are looking for nice resorts that still have some perks, you could take a look at the Disney Springs hotels that recently added the 60 day FP+ perk, but they don't offer EMH (if that's of interest to you) and they are much further away from the parks than Swan/Dolphin. In terms of space, at, possibly a lower cost, you might want to consider the Cabins at Ft. W if you have any interest in a more rustic atmosphere. If you went that route, you might want to consider renting a golf cart to get around the resort, though. The only other resorts that offer more space than a standard room at less cost would be family suites at AoA and ASMu, but they are value resorts and are no where on par with Swan/Dolphin. Have you priced out the Dolphin? It usually prices out less than the Swan. If you can snag a Priceline Express deal, they are really good!

This makes me think I should just book the Swan and call it a day. I do know that the Dolphin is a bit cheaper but the queen beds at the Swan make that the better choice for us. Plus my wife's sister and her family are staying at the Swan as well so it makes sense for all of us to be together if possible. Not seeing the Swan on PL or HW though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter