SW and child under 4

Do you use that potty mouth in front of your kids? :confused: Seriously, you are making some major ASSumptions too. I paid for a seat and have boarded appropriately, I am allowed to choose any open seat. If you have a problem with the SWA seating policy, I suggest you choose an airline that has assigned seating. SWA has an open seating policy. I am perfectly within the rules to select any open seat. Seat saving is pretty obvious, there is usually one adult who is sitting the middle surrounded by a bunch of littered seats. They then quickly bounce up and say they are saving that seat for Aunt Milly who didn't bother to check in at the 24 hour mark. How is Aunt Milly's lack of planning my problem?

I do not have a potty mouth, but whatever.

We both want the best seats we can get. So we each need to do what we need to do to get them. I check in ASAP and get first boarding group, and I will put my bags down to save for dh/ds. If you ask me if someone is sitting there I'll say I'm saving but (and I'm not making this up -) I will ask if you want to sit there. Some people have a "thing" about where they want to sit on a plane for whatever reason. I have never been asked by anyone to move my bags, nor has the flight attendant ever asked me to move my bags. I one time was chit chatting with a FA about dd's car seat and she SAW me put my bags on the 2 seats behind me and didn't say anything.

So what do you do if someone comes back from using the bathroom to see you've removed their bag, placed it in the aisle, and are now sitting in their seat? What do you say to them? I'm curious. Or is going to the bathroom considered abandonment of seat?

So what do you do if someone comes back from using the bathroom to see you've removed their bag, placed it in the aisle, and are now sitting in their seat? What do you say to them? I'm curious. Or is going to the bathroom considered abandonment of seat?

I've never in my life seen someone use the bathroom on the airplane during the boarding process. Trying to get back up the aisle to the bathroom (if it is in the front of the plane) or back from the bathroom (if it is in the back of the plane) would cause chaos. People use the bathroom before getting on the plane or after boarding is complete (even that is rare). That is just a silly argument.

And your point about taking someone's seat while they are stowing carry on bags? Since they should be stowing the bag immediately above their seat, I would think it would be very obvious that it was their seat and that they weren't just saving seats. Again, a silly argument.

I've never in my life seen someone use the bathroom on the airplane during the boarding process. Trying to get back up the aisle to the bathroom (if it is in the front of the plane) or back from the bathroom (if it is in the back of the plane) would cause chaos. People use the bathroom before getting on the plane or after boarding is complete (even that is rare). That is just a silly argument.

And your point about taking someone's seat while they are stowing carry on bags? Since they should be stowing the bag immediately above their seat, I would think it would be very obvious that it was their seat and that they weren't just saving seats. Again, a silly argument.

My dad acutally used the bathroom as soon as he got on the plane. He had a big OJ and a cup of coffee and really had to go... he was nervous about missing his group boarding call so he didn't leave the gate area. But he's a nervous flyer anyway. LOL!

Anyway, I wasn't looking for a fight when I posted what I did. prncess674 threw some insults at me and I was just refuting them. She was way out of line with some of what she said and I don't allow people to just talk trash about me without fighting back.

Although, I don't fight back infinitely, and I think I'm walking away from this thread now so I don't get into trouble. :headache:

Sorry to the OP for the thread going off track :wizard:

WOW! I can see both of the posters view.

1. Yes, when you fly SW you know you don't have a seat.
2. Key it to pay the $10 for early check-in OR be on-line at the 24 hour mark.
3. It sounds like SW is getting smart about the pre-boards (this summer we flew Delta and there was NO PRE-BOARD). It is amazing how many people when there is pre-board do it (with kids 5 and up....even 4 is pushing it!).

When you pre-pay you will probably have a better seat, but that pre-board pass with the ONE NUMBER on it entitles you to ONE SEAT. It does NOT entitle you to save for your whole family. Yes, SW might not want confrontations and may not enforce the no saving seat policy if there is one. If I chose to fly SW (which I have NO PLANS TO DO) and we didn't do early check-in (which I would do) and I saw bags and magazines on seats I would ask person by those seats (who is OBVIOUSLY the one saving) if someone was seated there (THUS ELIMINATING THE BATHROOM debate..by the way who leaves the terminal and runs to the bathroom on the plane...GROSS). If the said it was being saved I would sit there since my number was obviously BEFORE the saved person's. It is nice to say you would offer the seat if someone wanted it...but not many people would.

It amazes me when mom,dad, grandma and grandpa, aunt, uncle and friends ALL try to pre-board. It is nice to see SW enforcing the ONE ADULT RULE. If there is one child and 2 parents then purchase the early check-in or be on-line at 24 hour mark.

No airline guarantees you will get the seat you want or even think your boarding pass says. I pre-pay for my seats on airlines and will not move out of my seat I chose to pay for (on Airtran, etc.). I will sit in a "saved" seat on SW but I will not fly them because I don't like the boarding and no seat assignments. Too many stressed, tired people flying and thinking they don't have to abide by common courtesy and rules. We all know saving airline seats on SW is like saving spots in line, for parades, etc. It will be done and while it might not be written in black and white it is not right to do. :confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3

We all know saving airline seats on SW is like saving spots in line, for parades, etc. It will be done and while it might not be written in black and white it is not right to do. :confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3

I'm back... lol!! But not going to debate the seat saving on the plane. You think it's wrong to save a spot for shows and parades? (I'm not talking about shows where everyone has to go in the row and move all the way over lol) So for me to plop down on the curb with my backpack next to me and dd in her stroller next to that, saving 2 more bum spots for my dh/ds, is wrong? I have to wholeheartedly 110% disagree with that statement!

I WILL move my bag and allow someone to sit on a seat on a plane I have saved for my dh/ds, but if someone were to ask me to move my bag to sit where I have staked out for the parade or a show they'd be told to take a hike. If you want a good seat for a parade/fireworks, get there early. I did, by at least an hour! :wizard:

I'm back... lol!! But not going to debate the seat saving on the plane. You think it's wrong to save a spot for shows and parades? (I'm not talking about shows where everyone has to go in the row and move all the way over lol) So for me to plop down on the curb with my backpack next to me and dd in her stroller next to that, saving 2 more bum spots for my dh/ds, is wrong? I have to wholeheartedly 110% disagree with that statement!

I WILL move my bag and allow someone to sit on a seat on a plane I have saved for my dh/ds, but if someone were to ask me to move my bag to sit where I have staked out for the parade or a show they'd be told to take a hike. If you want a good seat for a parade/fireworks, get there early. I did, by at least an hour! :wizard:

Yes YOU got there early. Your DH/DS did not. If they want a good seat for a parade/fireworks, they should get there early. The people wanting those seats did.

See - it works both ways.

Yes YOU got there early. Your DH/DS did not. If they want a good seat for a parade/fireworks, they should get there early. The people wanting those seats did.

well we will have to agree to disagree... polls on the theme park board always support courteous seat saving at fireworks and parades.

This is a interesting thread.

Just passing through.

Again, OP... if you are looking to save some $$$ check in as close to 24 hr in advance as you can. Those people paying EBCI are not guaranteed an "A" boarding spot. As a matter of fact; I heard of someone paying EBCI and getting a B. They were boarded after the family board. The seats are configured with 2 aisles of 3 across. As I mentined, car seat has to go in window. You are allowed one carry on plus one personal item. The carry on should go in the overhead bin above you. However, SW also allows 2 checked bags for free so I just prefer to keep a backpack in the seat in front of me. They still serve soft drinks and snacks. However, the last flight I was on was very turbulent and they didn't serve until well in to the flight. I was so glad I had brought snacks with me and purchases drinks once we got thru the security checkpoint. On the way home guest services can check you in or you can use a web enabled phone. You can also purchase EBCI for only the return flight. Have fun...enjoy your flight and the trip.

In the end; if people would just follow the rules, be courteous and treat others as they would want to be treated we would all get along much better.

YOU GOT THERE EARLY NOT THE REST OF YOUR PARTY FOR THE PARADE! What are you teaching your son that he is SPECIAL and doesn't have to wait for a parade LIKE EVERYONE ELSE...he can ride on rides while all the other kids sit and wait patiently. THEN he can show up right before parade starts and sit in front because MOMMY saved him and dad a seat. WRONG WRONG WRONG and terrible way to show a child what is right...waiting and not expecting everyone to cater to him/her.

My family arrives early for parades, shows, etc. We don't save seats. My children have waited patiently (yes for over and hour) since they were 4 and 5. I will say something to the person who tries to stand in front of me and block our view of the fireworks (comes up after they started and we had been sitting for over an hour...I DON'T CARE THAT AT THE TIME MY BABIES WERE 13 AND 12!!!!). Fact was we had waited and he and his family had not! I will not wait for 1.5 hours for Fantasmic at Disney World...and be asked to SCOOT OVER when I am sitting where I want to sit and have been waiting and will not move for someone coming 10 minutes before it starts. We chose those seats and waited patiently. WE DID NOT SAVE SEATS EITHER! Now the shows like BUGS LIFE, etc. we move down like we are supposed to since those are a ride.

Saving seats and spots for parades is like cutting in line...saving someones place while they do something else is not right. Guess we all have different views on manners. Guess we will be able to tell whose kids we raised to wait patiently and not expect people to move for them cause they are 'special'...said in tone of CHURCH LADY FROM SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE...

The fact that a word is picked up by the word filter, letters are replaced by ***, means DIS has an issue with the word being used.

The fact that the term is commonly used by you is irrelevent. DIS thinks the term is vulgar. I guess potty mouth is another term for the same thing.

SW has open setting. Many people consider a seat open if a passenger isn't occuping the seat. Saving the seat next you, particularly a middle seat isn't an issue. Many people think saving an extra row is rude, and have no problem moving stuff.

People who who hope to save extra seats should go to the back of the plane.

ccgirl said:
In the end; if people would just follow the rules, be courteous and treat others as they would want to be treated we would all get along much better.
LIFE would work better, if only we'd all behave this way - every day!!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter