Support Group - 10 lbs or less

Hello Everyone! Got back a couple days ago from my Disneyland trip and haven't had a chance to get online til now. Someday I will be able to afford internet at home again, but it probably won't be anytime soon. :)

The Disneyland Half-Marathon was on Sunday morning. This year it was me, My Dad, My sister and Bro-in-Law, and Bro-in-Law's sister. The run went well, even though I didn't get quite as good of a time as I'd hoped. I still beat my previous time, but between unexpected potty and chafe-control breaks my time did suffer a bit. This race seems geared towards more 'casual' runners than the super-serious types, so I'm not too broken up. It really is a fun race, getting to run through the parks and Angel Stadium. I even kept my junk-food more or less in check. I'm taking this week off of running, then Monday going to start training for one last half on Oct. 30.

I lost two pounds this week! I'm been jogging almost every day. I am keeping my portions in check and haven't had any alcohol or sweet drinks!

Congrats Kolohe on finishing the half! :woohoo: Sounds like you had a fun time!

Great job Redlight on those 2 pounds! :thumbsup2

My weekend was pretty junky food-wise. Two dinners out to eat, cake and ice cream, and snacking at the birthday party. I'm up a couple pounds in weekend weight.

But I did run 8 miles on Sunday morning and had a great run - it was actually fun, and it sealed my decision to run the half marathon this upcoming weekend. :goodvibes

Some friends/coworkers who run have been so supportive and even though I have had some doubts since having almost 3 weeks off from running, they convinced me that I really can do it, that I haven't lost that much progress in the weeks off. I had 2 great 4 mile runs last week then this 8 miler was my test...I told myself if I made it through okay that I'd do the half. And it was great, I had tons of energy and I felt I could have gone a lot further. I made myself stop at 8 as to not push myself too far and end up hurt. I'm a tiny bit sore this morning but not bad at all. So this week will be a couple of short runs and next Sunday is the event!

I gotta get the rest of the leftover junk food out of the house and eat really well this week!

Redlight : Congrats on the 2 lbs! :cool1:

MMQ : Good luck on your half marathon! :cheer2: I'm glad you decided to do it. By this time next week you'll be able to brag about your accomplishment at work. :laughing:

I don't know if I'll ever totally get over my junkfood addiction. I've definitely improved, and have lost about 4 lbs since I started a few months ago. During the week I do (mostly) really well. Weekends are a whole 'nother story. We tend to get take-out since neither Boyfried or I like to cook. Even though I have every intention of getting a salad or some such, as soon as I smell those fries all self control crumbles and I must have them! :rotfl: So I think I need to at least limit myself to only getting them once a day. Baby steps, people. Baby steps.

I don't think I will ever get over my junk food habit either, but I can control it and limit its damage.

Good luck with the half marathon, MommyMcQueen!

redlight - Congrats on the loss!

kolohe -- Congrats on your successful half!

MMQ -- how exciting! have a super great run on Sunday!

it's been a long week for me, i have been counting points again and tracking my weight more often than once a week. this is mainly in my quest to find answers (still...sigh) for my health issues. monday the endo called and told me that I had a normal test result which halts any further testing. i cried all day. so unlike me, but i felt so defeated. i have been picking myself back up and researching online and found that the diagnosis she initially thought takes multiple rounds of testing, so i'm going to ask her for more. send me pixie dust, i have no idea how she'll receive my request along with some internet article links.

enough of that -- i have been working out but it's a struggle!

and i lost another 3 lbs since i last posted -- bringing me down 5 from the major gain i had in July. slow and steady....

Hi everyone!

OhMom - sorry to hear the endo is ready to stop testing...I hope she will pursue more tests for you. Here's some pixie dust!! :wizard::wizard::wizard: Great job on the 5 pound though - that really is a big accomplishment especially since you have something going on inside working against you! You really are doing great!

My week was okay, still eating too much. Ran twice, had 2 really good 4 mile runs. The weather here is so nice and cool now, I just love running in this weather. Might head out for one last short run today and then rest on Saturday. I'm up 1.5 from last week, I knew I did bad but I didn't think it was that bad!! :rolleyes:

Sunday's half will be fun, I'm getting excited now and looking forward to it. I know it'll defenitely be a challenge for me, but I know I can finish. Tonight we're going to the expo and pick up my packet, then I want to go drive the route - just to confirm my biggest fears - HILLS! It appears that the route crosses a major highway twice - meaning we'll be doing the overpasses, I just want to go see how bad they are. I know most of the area the race is in, we used to live close to there, but I can't remember these couple of streets and where they cross the highway, so we'll go see it tonight. I have done zero hill work and I'm just hoping they don't kill my legs - they are very early in the race, like mile 3 and 5. It has me a little scared!!!

Hope everyone had a good week and I'll report back after the run this weekend!

Hi All!
So I'm joining in. I had a goal to lose my weight before our trip October 3rd. So far I've lost about 18lbs total.

Well I only have 6lbs to go and only 2 weeks left! I'm running out of time :eek:!

You all are doing such a good job! Keep it up!

Haven't read through the thread yet but can I join? I'd love to get rid of the 5-8 pounds that don't seem to understand they are not welcome here.

suzannews - Welcome aboard!! So glad you are joining.

MMQ - Good luck with your half. I hope it goes well.

ohMom - sending lots and lots of pixie dust your way.

So far things are going really well. My knee is 100% better, have had some great runs lately, and we're headed to Disneyland next week! Now if I could just get the stupid scale to move down. For some reason I've hit a plateau and can't seem to get off. Hopefully all the walking at Disney will help, assuming I can keep my treats under control.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Well, I fell out of the group. :sad: I screwed up my success big time. I think I gained over 7 pounds this week! Need to start back up again. At least I don't have to start back at 50.

:welcome: Karebear23, Suzannews & bellem04! Great job on your losses!

bellem04 - don't worry - you'll lose those 7 pounds! :thumbsup2

Yesterday I ran my first half marathon!!! It was SO awesome!!! The weather was perfect - it was a little cool to begin, about 40 degrees, but once you were running it was a great cool temp. I met up with a couple friends before the race which was great - little boost of extra encouragement and excitement! :goodvibes

Miles 1-4 went really fast - I didn't see the flag markers for 1 & 3, and before I knew it I was at 4 already! I felt like the miles were flying by! DH and the kids were going to be at mile 7, so after I took some fuel at about mile 6 and I started looking for them and passed them a little furhter down the road - it was great having them there. The crowd support overall was amazing, people everywhere cheering you on! By mile 9 I started getting little sluggish again so took a little more fuel and tried to pick up the pace.

By mile 10 I was getting excited, knew the end was near and also knew I was going to beat my goal by quite a bit. My goal was to finish under 2:30, and I was at about 1:40 at the 10 mile mark, so pushing toward a 2:10-2:15 finish. The last 3 miles had tons of crowd support and I again saw DH and the kids with about 1 mile left! The last mile I tried to push a little faster but I was getting tired! Made it through the last mile and finished in 2:11! :thumbsup2

It was a completely amazing experience - I felt great the entire race, no aches or pains, never felt burned out or tired, or that I wanted to quit. I'm so glad I did it, expecially since I had so many doubts that I'd be able to do it. It was so much fun! I never thought I'd ever say that running 13 miles was fun! :laughing: But it really was - the other runners, the crowd support, and being part of such a great event! Super happy with my time and that I pushed myself to do something that I never thought I could do! All along the route I kept saying to myself "you're actually doing this". Definitely one of the best accomplishments I've ever had!

Yesterday I ran my first half marathon!!! It was SO awesome!!! The weather was perfect - it was a little cool to begin, about 40 degrees, but once you were running it was a great cool temp. I met up with a couple friends before the race which was great - little boost of extra encouragement and excitement! :goodvibes

Miles 1-4 went really fast - I didn't see the flag markers for 1 & 3, and before I knew it I was at 4 already! I felt like the miles were flying by! DH and the kids were going to be at mile 7, so after I took some fuel at about mile 6 and I started looking for them and passed them a little furhter down the road - it was great having them there. The crowd support overall was amazing, people everywhere cheering you on! By mile 9 I started getting little sluggish again so took a little more fuel and tried to pick up the pace.

By mile 10 I was getting excited, knew the end was near and also knew I was going to beat my goal by quite a bit. My goal was to finish under 2:30, and I was at about 1:40 at the 10 mile mark, so pushing toward a 2:10-2:15 finish. The last 3 miles had tons of crowd support and I again saw DH and the kids with about 1 mile left! The last mile I tried to push a little faster but I was getting tired! Made it through the last mile and finished in 2:11! :thumbsup2

It was a completely amazing experience - I felt great the entire race, no aches or pains, never felt burned out or tired, or that I wanted to quit. I'm so glad I did it, expecially since I had so many doubts that I'd be able to do it. It was so much fun! I never thought I'd ever say that running 13 miles was fun! :laughing: But it really was - the other runners, the crowd support, and being part of such a great event! Super happy with my time and that I pushed myself to do something that I never thought I could do! All along the route I kept saying to myself "you're actually doing this". Definitely one of the best accomplishments I've ever had!

That is Awesome! Way to go! I really want to do a half marathon at Disney but none of my friends want to :sad2:.

I'm happy to hear it wasn't too difficult. Glad the weather was good!
I went running this morning & pushed DS in the stroller. It's still so hot here! Hoping it will cool off soon so I can run more often!

Don't have a ton of time to write...

Quick update: back from WDW! :sad1: Trip was great, no crowds (other than Fantasmic on Thursday... I almost went postal), had a great first MNSSHP and bought a TON of souvies :) Oh and ate soooooo much.

We were there about 9 days (sat-sun) and I ran 18.5 miles total!! The highest mileage for me in a week ever- and it was on vacation in 90+ degree weather with 80+% humidity! :rotfl: I got up early every other morning and did 4, 5, 4 and 5.5 miles. I was super proud of myself- and even broke records on my speed (did 5 miles in 50 min- I haven't done a 10 min mile other than for a mile or two at a time!).

Sad news last night- my cat had to be put to sleep while we were away (I'm like devastated and slept 4 hrs last night). It's my parents cat actually but I picked her out and was around for her first 6-7 years of life (ie she was "mine" until I left for college). I get so excited to see her when I go home. Random blood clot in her leg :sad1:

Good news today though... my DF just was offered a job making almost 50% more than he's making now! He's got a phone interview with another company this afternoon though and will decide after that. I'm so excited for him (and us :)).

MMQ~ :worship::worship::worship: No words. I can't even believe you did SO WELL! My goal for the Princess in Feb is 2:30 too. It's going to be so hard running it alone. Are you planning on continuing to race? DF did one half and said no more but he'll do 10ks and such - just nothing that long again.

kolohe lady~ awesome job on the Disneyland half! :cool1:

:welcome: newbies!!

OhMom~ :wizard: your way :hug: Sorry the diagnosis has been such a struggle- hopefully you can get more testing done!

That is Awesome! Way to go! I really want to do a half marathon at Disney but none of my friends want to :sad2:.

I'm happy to hear it wasn't too difficult. Glad the weather was good!
I went running this morning & pushed DS in the stroller. It's still so hot here! Hoping it will cool off soon so I can run more often!

Thanks Karen! Just to clarify, I did run it all alone - my friends are much faster than me!! :rotfl: We just chatted for about 15 minutes before the race which was nice. They've all run many races so it was nice to see their excitement for a first-timer! Lots of encouragement!

If you want to do a Diseny race you should! Just run it alone! I've run everything alone (5k, 10k, and now half) and it's not bad at all - I kind of enjoy it. With 2 little kids at home I got 13.1 miles of peace and quiet! :laughing:

Don't have a ton of time to write...

Quick update: back from WDW! :sad1: Trip was great, no crowds (other than Fantasmic on Thursday... I almost went postal), had a great first MNSSHP and bought a TON of souvies :) Oh and ate soooooo much.

We were there about 9 days (sat-sun) and I ran 18.5 miles total!! The highest mileage for me in a week ever- and it was on vacation in 90+ degree weather with 80+% humidity! :rotfl: I got up early every other morning and did 4, 5, 4 and 5.5 miles. I was super proud of myself- and even broke records on my speed (did 5 miles in 50 min- I haven't done a 10 min mile other than for a mile or two at a time!).

Sad news last night- my cat had to be put to sleep while we were away (I'm like devastated and slept 4 hrs last night). It's my parents cat actually but I picked her out and was around for her first 6-7 years of life (ie she was "mine" until I left for college). I get so excited to see her when I go home. Random blood clot in her leg :sad1:

Good news today though... my DF just was offered a job making almost 50% more than he's making now! He's got a phone interview with another company this afternoon though and will decide after that. I'm so excited for him (and us :)).

MMQ~ :worship::worship::worship: No words. I can't even believe you did SO WELL! My goal for the Princess in Feb is 2:30 too. It's going to be so hard running it alone. Are you planning on continuing to race? DF did one half and said no more but he'll do 10ks and such - just nothing that long again.

kolohe lady~ awesome job on the Disneyland half! :cool1:

:welcome: newbies!!

OhMom~ :wizard: your way :hug: Sorry the diagnosis has been such a struggle- hopefully you can get more testing done!

Welcome Back Karen! Glad you had a great trip! And WOW!!! 18.5 miles on vacation!!! Way to go! That is incredible! I managed a great big 0 miles on vacation so I'm so impressed and proud of you! Great Job!

Sorry to hear about your cat...:hug:..losing a pet is very hard. Congrats on the job offer for DF! That is great!

As for the half marathon, I loved it. I'd do another one next weekend if I could! I loved it WAY more than that 10K I did (that was just a horrible hot race) but for some reason it just felt like everything came together on this one. Great weather (we did get a few sprinkles on us but it was very light & brief), great course, great spectators and lots to look at and watch. For whatever reason (I still haven't figured out what) it seemed like it went so fast, like the miles just flew by. I don't know if it's because I knew the area and we had driven the course the day before, but several times along the way I was like "oh, we're this far already". It just went fast, I didn't feel like I was running that long and I didn't ever feel really tired. I did take fuel (Sports Beans) before and during the race and I think that helped with my energy (since I'm not a morning runner and usually sluggish in the AM), but I seriously loved it. It was fun...and I mean real actual fun. I had a grin on face the whole way (DH took pictures of me smiling away as I passed them). I kept myself at a comfortable pace until the last 3 miles, then I picked it up a little and the last mile I really tried to push, but until that point I kept a comfortable, steady pace. I averaged 10 minute per mile for the whole race, although my second half of the race was 5 minutes faster than the first half.

As far as doing it alone, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. DH & the kids met me twice on the course, mile 7 and 12, and then at the finish, so it was nice having someone to look for, I scanned the crowds a lot looking at people, reading their signs, listening to them cheer. It was fun - some spectators were dressed up, dancing, doing crazy stuff. Between that and my music I never really felt alone out there, you're in such a big group you don't feel alone. You'll do great in February!! :thumbsup2

MMQ -- :rockband: i'm so excited for you! there never is another like the first crossing that finish line, but they are addictive and you, my dear, have the bug! i'm glad it was such a great experience for you, you worked hard training and educating yourself on how to prepare and it paid off! now enjoy a taper week or two :thumbsup2

:welcome: karebear23, Suzannews & bellem04 :welcome:

Karen -- :worship::worship: you rocked out running while on vacation! you actually did it! i can't count how many times i've packed my clothes and never got them out of the suitcase! great job! i'm very sorry to hear of your cat :grouphug:

i wanted to chime in on my experience on being alone on the course, my first half I walked with my mom, we were so excited, it was awesome. they next one i signed up for alone, i was really hesitant about 3 hours on the course with just me and my ipod...this race I actually found someone at my pace and we talked for several of the miles. since then i have met new friends on the course, and i have gone some alone....don't be intimidated, the excitement of the event is catching, you'll be so pumped..

thanks guys for all the pixiedust on my neverending journey of crappy health :goodvibes i sent a pretty lengthy email to the endo and cc: my PCP requesting more testing and medical journal articles to back up my thoughts. it's getting to be more of a struggle to workout, my muscles are just giving up with fatigue some much faster than i'm accustomed too -- i did 3.5 miles today and my right quad has ached all day. yes, i'll have some cheese with my whine...sorry...ugh

Good for you, MMQ!! :woohoo: I'm so happy for you! And a little jealous, I've done 5 halfs now and I'm still stuck at almost 11 min/mile. But I'm working on it! My goal is to someday do a half in less than 2 hours. Might be a pipe dream with these gangly, uncoordinated legs, but it gives me something to shoot for.

I've done most of my races alone as well. I do all my training on my own, so that's what I'm used to. The one we did in June I ran with my dad most of the way. It was kind of fun to run with someone, especially when he sang along with 'Newsies' songs on his iPod. Made me giggle! Another reason I want to get faster, my almost 60-year-old father can keep pace with me! How embarassing! :laughing: At the Disneyland Half he finished only 2 minutes slower than me. I hope I can still do this when I'm his age!

Karen, I'm totally impressed also that you kept up your running on vacation:yay: I really need to get tougher about that. I almost always bring my stuff, but either wimp out or let others peer pressure/guilt me out of it. :guilty:

OhMom, I hope you get to feel better soon! And you didn't 'whine', you just needed to vent a little. That what we're here for, right? :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!