• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Support Dogs

When you say "get a wheelchair" you mean in order to have insurance pay for it, right? Because anyone can get a wheelchair it they have enough money to buy one.

Not trying to speak for @KPeveler...

There are two basic "groups" of wheelchairs: Self-purchased and "prescribed".

Self-purchased are exactly what they sound like. You buy a wheelchair at retail, typically based on your budget. It may or may not be tax deductible (that's between you and your tax preparer, be they human or software) depending on individual circumstances. They can be found for *very* cheap at yard sales (but you will typically get what you pay for) all the way up to custom-made bespoke rigs that cost the same as a car.

"Prescribed" chairs are those that are typically custom-made, or at the very least are custom-fitted to the user. Often the user will be measured and possibly weighed to determine exactly how to create the most comfortable seating position. These chairs will often start in the multiple-thousands of dollars, and go up from there. There are some "off the rack" versions of higher-end chairs that have less customization, a more reasonable price point (from the average consumer's viewpoint) and are often ready to buy or ship instantly, as opposed to truly custom chairs that may take longer to craft and deliver. With the "prescription" of a chair you may be referred to a local dealer for a custom chair company, or even a physical therapist to be measured and evaluated for the best possible chair for your condition. Your insurance company will be looped in early in the process, and often the purchase is tax deductible as "DME" (durable medical equipment).

There is a third group that is what I call "loaner chairs" - these are the wheelchairs that are often loaned out by community service organizations (like the Masons/Shriners, Moose, Elk, Lions Club, etc.) or local Churches or other community-based groups. Many of those type of organizations have "lending closets" where they stash wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, and other DME until someone needs to borrow it. Our church has a huge lending closet, as well as our local Masonic Lodge. The best part about loaner chairs is that they tend to be free to use for as long as you need one. The worst part is that they are often worn out, and may not be the proper size for the person who needs to use it.

To your point: Yes, anyone can buy a wheelchair - even the most costly, highly customized ones - if they have the money. The vast majority of able-bodied people will not spend their money on a wheelchair; they don't need one, and don't want one. So, *typically* people you see with wheelchairs truly need them.

To your point: Yes, anyone can buy a wheelchair - even the most costly, highly customized ones - if they have the money. The vast majority of able-bodied people will not spend their money on a wheelchair; they don't need one, and don't want one. So, *typically* people you see with wheelchairs truly need them.

And where did I state anything to provoke this comment? Or was it someone else you were directing this comment at? I just wanted to point out that people do not need a prescription to get some tools that may help them. I've had a wheelchair before, and crutches. No prescription needed, and we were able to rent what I needed as thankfully they were only needed for a short time for me. We've also purchased, without a prescription, a multitude of mobility and balance aids for my late father when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. A prescription might help with the cost, but most mobility aids are available without one. Thinking they need to get permission from a doctor to use a mobility tool may deter some people who could really benefit from one.

Okay, the wheelchair was a poor example.

Let me change it to a disabled parking placard/plate. It is a limited quantity, like fully, professionally trained service dogs are, and therefore you need a doctor's note to get a disabled parking placard. Does that make more sense?

And where did I state anything to provoke this comment? Or was it someone else you were directing this comment at? I just wanted to point out that people do not need a prescription to get some tools that may help them. I've had a wheelchair before, and crutches. No prescription needed, and we were able to rent what I needed as thankfully they were only needed for a short time for me. We've also purchased, without a prescription, a multitude of mobility and balance aids for my late father when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. A prescription might help with the cost, but most mobility aids are available without one. Thinking they need to get permission from a doctor to use a mobility tool may deter some people who could really benefit from one.

Yes. Exactly. My point - although apparently not stated clearly enough - was that typically the people who you see with wheelchairs (or any type of mobility device or aid) are people who really need them.

See also: the last line of my post above.

Okay, the wheelchair was a poor example.

Let me change it to a disabled parking placard/plate. It is a limited quantity, like fully, professionally trained service dogs are, and therefore you need a doctor's note to get a disabled parking placard. Does that make more sense?

The HC parking placards aren't limited though. There's no quota, and anyone who needs one (qualifies) can get the paperwork signed/processed. There is a limit to the number of HC parking spots, but that doesn't have any effect on the number of placards given out or renewed. Do you know of any doctors who have refused to sign the paperwork just because they signed a certain number already?

Highly trained service dogs are limited in that there aren't a lot of people doing the training. I'm surprised the industry isn't picking up - there's definitely a need, and plenty of dogs that need homes in shelters across the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter