Support Dogs

Rockbro

DIS Veteran
Does anone know of resouces for free support dogs?

FYI: I'm a former cop with PTSD, Anxiety, deprression, and neuoropathy. Anything would help.

Last edited:
Are you looking for an emotional support dog or a trained service animal?

An emotional support dog can be any dog you bond with at the local animal shelter (probably a nominal fee). Note that ESAs do not have the same protections under the law as a service animal, and you may need documentation from a doctor if there is a no-pet rule for with your housing.

A trained service animal may depend on your needs and what duties the dog needs to trained to do. I'm honestly not aware of any organization that provides completely free trained service animals. There may be groups that help with the training or help with financing. Good training can be an extensive process.

Assistance dog of American but there is a 5 or so year wait for a dog

Last edited:
As @lanejudy said, trained service animals cost thousands of dollars but an emotional support animal can be any animal you bond with. Since you do not have a budget, I would suggest an ESA from the shelter.

I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and there are several dog daycares that offer dog training. I know one daycare that fosters dogs from a shelter and trains them until they are adopted by a family- and then once they are adopted, the family is given a free training session and a free day of daycare. Maybe you could find a similar arrangement near you to get an already trained dog or receive free training. You could also ask any training facility for discounted or donated training.

Service animals are never free. Insurance can cover some of the cost, and other organizations also help to offset the cost. Waiting lists are years long( after the year plus process of qualifying for one)

an ESA is a pet, period. Any pet you would have to pay to train. Not all pets can be ESAs. A good ESA has been trained to react to your triggers.

so which is that you want( need). Neither will be free, but there are organizations out there that can assist you. furthermore, the Vet care and daily upkeep will be out of pocket. If you can’t afford the up front cost, you probably can’t afford the rest of it either.

Are you looking for an emotional support dog or a trained service animal?

An emotional support dog can be any dog you bond with at the local animal shelter (probably a nominal fee). Note that ESAs do not have the same protections under the law as a service animal, and you may need documentation from a doctor if there is a no-pet rule for with your housing.

A trained service animal may depend on your needs and what duties the dog needs to trained to do. I'm honestly not aware of any organization that provides completely free trained service animals. There may be groups that help with the training or help with financing. Good training can be an extensive process.

Yes, I've done much research since the original posting.And to the person who said something along the lines of " if you cant afford the dog, you cant afford the upkeep," keep your opinion to yourself.

lanejudy:

I don't what I need. I don't like crowds or close proximity.I saw a guy at navi with a dog who kept other people awa from him and I wished I had the same..

lanejudy:

I don't what I need. I don't like crowds or close proximity.I saw a guy at navi with a dog who kept other people awa from him and I wished I had the same..

I'm not sure how a dog would be able to be allowed to keep people away? Did the dog push at them, come into contact with them? That wouldn't really be a good thing for a dog to do in a public space. If you are at WDW and in a space that is getting crowded, you're really not allowed to make people move away from you even if you have a hard time with crowds. Having a dog clear that space might strike people as aggressive, and could cause more issues for you.

Last edited:
here is the orgingation that I was talking about. service dogs not sure you would qulify for one. )I do not think they teach there dogs to circle a peron for crowd controle or not but it is worth asking) of there dog but it would be with to try they help with every things even vet bill if you qualify

There’s an organization called Paws of War to assist vets and first responders. Some of that is with shelter pets. Check them out. Even if they aren’t a match they may help lead you in the right direction. Goodluck.

lanejudy:

At WDW, you might be well-served with a DAS. It allows you to wait in a "virtual" queue, outside the regular queue. It won't eliminate your ability to avoid crowds altogether (nothing really will at WDW) but you can step away from the long, crowded lines, and wait (basically) the same amount of time, but in a space that would be more comfortable for you.

You will need to visit Guest Relations inside the first Park you visit on your next trip. Be ready to explain to them why you need to wait outside the regular queue - they don't care about doctor's letters, or official diagnoses - it's all about why you need to use the DAS.

If you have anyone who travels with you, any time you are in line, or even walking along, they can create a "bubble" around you, which can help you have the space you need. While in lines, keep someone behind you, and allow a (small) amount of space to "bubble" in front of you. Keep moving with the line once your bubble is built, and most folks won't mind. When walking through WDW, try to walk on the right side, and keep a member of your travel party on your left, and behind you, to help prevent crowding. You can then again build a "bubble" in front of you easily as you move through the Parks.

Seeing eye dogs are generally provided to eligible, legally blind, at no or almost no cost.

Edited to add Seeing Eye School charges $150 for your first dog, $50 for subsequent dogs and $1 if the recipient is a vet. Payment plans are available. Many other schools are free

Last edited:
https://www.soldiers6.com/ is a MN based organization that does service dogs for Veterans and first responders with PTSD. They are partially sponsored by the MN Wild. One of my best friends is a former LEO that was shot in the face and now sits on their board of directors.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm not one to make rash decisions, so a lot more research will be necessary. I'm finding that dogs that deal with anxiety, PTSD, and panic attacks are considered emotional support animals, which are not considered service animals.

I'm finding that dogs that deal with anxiety, PTSD, and panic attacks are considered emotional support animals, which are not considered service animals.
Generally, yes. There are psychiatric service animals, however I believe it requires documentation from a licensed mental health provider. It would not be a quick or inexpensive process.

Generally, yes. There are psychiatric service animals, however I believe it requires documentation from a licensed mental health provider. It would not be a quick or inexpensive process.

How can that be enforced by the ADA? A service animal needs to be used by a person with a disability and be trained to do something to assist that person. So if a dog is trained to alert, guard, and/or guide a person having a PTSD attack, that would make the dog a service animal, yes?

The ADA makes a distinction between a true psychiatric service dog and an emotional support animal. The majority of animals for psychiatric needs are ESAs and do not require training. Organizations that provide trained psychiatric service dogs may require documentation of a diagnosis for a life-limiting disability.

I’ll extend this to say that I believe any organization providing or training a service animal may require documentation of need. I could be wrong but I can’t imagine such groups going to that extent and expense for just anyone.

Last edited:
Service Dog organizations, especially those providing dogs at no or reduced charge, i believe can require documentation. Partly to make sure only people with legitimate needs get a service dog, and partly to make sure the right dog is with the right person.

Businesses where you bring that service dog (not referring to ESAs, but actual SDs) may NOT require documentation to prove you need to dog.

Similarly, to get a wheelchair, you often need a prescription, mostly to make sure that you get the right chair. But the businesses and employers cannot require that you have medical documentation to prove you need the wheelchair.

Last edited:
Service Dog organizations, especially those providing dogs at no or reduced charge, i believe can require documentation. Partly to make sure only people with legitimate needs get a service dog, and partly to make sure the right dog is with the right person.

Businesses where you bring that service dog (not referring to ESAs, but actualy SDs) may NOT require documentation to prove you need to dog.

Similarly, to get a wheelchair, you often need a prescription, mostly to make sure that you get the right chair. But the businesses and employers cannot require that you have medical documentation to prove you need the wheelchair.

I understand the need for documentation. There are a lot of dishonest people out there looking for an "advantage." I guess anything worth having is worth the work you have to put into it.

Businesses where you bring that service dog (not referring to ESAs, but actual SDs) may NOT require documentation to prove you need to dog.

When you say "get a wheelchair" you mean in order to have insurance pay for it, right? Because anyone can get a wheelchair it they have enough money to buy one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter