Sun hat? Visor? Just sunglasses and sunscreen?

Farro

Argh.
So going when it's pretty hot.

Normally I'm just a sunglasses kind of gal. But wondering if you need a hat in the hotter weather?

My issue with a hat is my hair (Yes, my hair). It looks like crap when I take it off and it's also impossible to put in a bun and wear a hat. I also feel like it would get really hot and gross in the humidity.

A visor would solve those issues, but is a visor any better than just wearing my sunglasses?

Thoughts? :)

I use a fisherman style floppy hat that has the strings. I know that I do not look stylish, but I don't care. When I am not wearing it, I tie it to my belt loops. It really comes in handy for the hottest parts of the day and when it starts to rain.

Its whatever is going to be the most comfortable to you. Sunglasses will probably work just fine but if you want to protect yourself and your head a bit more I'd recommend a lose sort of hat not necessarily a ball cap but that could work too.

Definitely wear a lot of sunscreen though. Every day if possible.

I like a visor and my sunglasses. The sun comes in at all angles during the day and the visor really helps keep it out of my eyes and off my face. I burn easily, so that extra protection really helps. It also doesn't mess with the hair. I usually do a ponytail.

Edited to add: My hair is thick enough that I don't have to worry about sunburn on my scalp.

I get severe hat head! I do sunglasses and sunscreen and have always been just fine. Ps- I’m pale and freckly, burn easily. I use neutrogena brand sunscreen made for the face so it’s not oily and doesn’t break me out.

I cannot stand having anything on my forehead for more than a couple of minutes so I go with sunglasses (GOOD ONES) and sunscreen and call it a day... or top it with Minnie headbands.

When I work out in the sun I usually have my glasses (which are transition ones) and a sun visor. The sun gives me headaches and the visor helps keep the sun from coming in through the top of my glasses. That's what I plan to wear while in Disney too. Unfortunately that leaves my scalp exposed but I don't like regular hats so I will just have to deal with that and use face sun screen in my hair part of I wear it down instead of in a ponytail.

My hair goes nuts in the humidity. I don’t like wearing hats, even breathable ones or visors because I don’t like feeling sweaty under them. I wear my hair up in a messy bun at WDW most days.

My go-to is lots of sunscreen with sunglasses and my hair up with Minnie ears (they keep my wispy hairs in the front that go nuts in the humidity in control - Minnie ears are cute and functional!) That’s what I’ve done on our hot weather trips. Every time I bring a hat, it ends up in the stroller or back in the room.

Last edited:
I normally only do sunglasses but Disney summer (May) I took hat with a brim all the way around. I don’t look fabulous in a hat but I lasted all day. Coupon of times I stuck all my hair under it due to the heat, I’m sure it wasn’t pretty but no one was looking at me. Just looking for the next ride or shop. I didn’t get a headache. I told my kid, I’m loving this hat :)

Sunscreen I'm fair I normally wear olay 15 sensitive every day. On vacation hot days I use that all over; no fuse, no stains, I bring in a tiny container so I can reapply if needed.

I forgot the tip to run deodorant under your front side; it really helps no sweating there.

I wear sunglasses. I have to admit that part of the reason I skip a hat is because I wear my Ears a lot. It is never too hot for Ears. My DD usually wears a visor.

If you are worried about how you look, wait til you arrive and grab a Disney visor or hat in a gift shop. Ther are plenty to choose from, and you will fit in with everyone else sporting their Disney millinery

A good way to keep your head cool with a baseball cap is to get a dark blue or black cotton one and to completely soak it in water and then let it drain for 30-60 minutes before you leave to go out & put in on. It will be damp (but not noticeably so because of the dark color) and it will keep your head cool for a few hours. If you're prone to have a sweaty forehead (or head if you are short haired) the hat won't be ruined with sweat-stains. After a few hours in the the sun it will evenly dry out so keep a spare one in a plastic bag and swap them half way through the day.

I have mixed feelings on this--I was raised to always wear a hat if we were going to be outside for a long period, and the go-to when I was a kid was a boonie hat. I have tons of pictures of my brother and myself in boonie hats on our first visit. As an adult, though, I tend to favor a straw hat when I wear one in summer and I really, really don't want to deal with a straw hat at Disney (I can't imagine how you'd avoid either losing it or crumpling it when stowing it on certain rides). The last few times I've been to WDW I didn't wear a hat and was just diligent about reapplying sunscreen throughout the day. Not sure if I'll look for a hat before I go again; it'd have to be something squishable.

So going when it's pretty hot.

Normally I'm just a sunglasses kind of gal. But wondering if you need a hat in the hotter weather?

My issue with a hat is my hair (Yes, my hair). It looks like crap when I take it off and it's also impossible to put in a bun and wear a hat. I also feel like it would get really hot and gross in the humidity.

A visor would solve those issues, but is a visor any better than just wearing my sunglasses?

Thoughts? :)
What about one of the visors with the open top? You can put your hair in a ponytail or bun & it’s not all squished under a hat getting sweaty.
Not super stylish but practical.

I wear sunglasses. I have to admit that part of the reason I skip a hat is because I wear my Ears a lot. It is never too hot for Ears. My DD usually wears a visor.

If you are worried about how you look, wait til you arrive and grab a Disney visor or hat in a gift shop. Ther are plenty to choose from, and you will fit in with everyone else sporting their Disney millinery

Are there a lot of the open top visors in the gift shops? I'd rather buy a Disney one since it's not something I'd ever wear in real life. We're going in July and the thought of a hat on my head makes me cringe...SO HOT. Bright sunlight is a headache trigger for me, so even though I hate hats, I think I'm going to have to do something in addition to sunglasses.

We're staying at Yacht Club, so we'll have easy access to the gift shops around the Boardwalk and will be going to Epcot our first evening. Maybe Mouse Gear would have them?

Last edited:
Are there a lot of the open top visors in the gift shops? I'd rather buy a Disney one since it's not something I'd ever wear in real life. We're going in July and the thought of a hat on my head makes me cringe...SO HOT. Bright sunlight is a headache trigger for me, so even though I hate hats, I think I'm going to have to do something in addition to sunglasses.

We're staying at Yacht Club, so we'll have easy access to the gift shops around the Boardwalk and will be going to Epcot our first evening. Maybe Mouse Gear would have them?

Yes can find them all over

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts