Summer?!

Thanks for sharing your strategy. This is our plan (we'll be there the last week of August). I think the only day we have anything planned in the afternoon is our HS day (doing the Star Wars tour and have a Slinky Dog FP+ at 1:40). We may go back to the resort to rest after our FP and head back a few hours later to make a FP (Tower of Terror 4:30-5:30). We know it's a lot of potential travel time, but it may be worth it for a break.

Try to keep looking to see if you can modify your ToT FP time and move that time up to be closer behind your SD FP. If you can't, unless you are staying at a Boardwalk resort, I would urge you not to leave after your SD 1:40 FP because you will no sooner get back to your resort and it will be time to travel back for your ToT 4:30 FP.

I think it would be easier on you to have a TS reservation for a late lunch in some nice air conditioning or plan on touring some of the air conditioned shows between your SD & ToT FP's. Then after your 4:30 ToT, call it a day and go back to the resort to swim.

Have a great time!

Just got back. Crowds were surprisingly light. At EPCOT one day at noon, the pathway around WS was amazingly clear of people... like there were around 30 of us in view (it tended to pick up at night), and going to breakfast at the Floridian we had a Monorail car all to ourselves. We are from the midwest were it had been hotter and more humid than there at WDW, so we got used to it before we went; however, the sun is more intense, so we took a break every day from around 2 to 5. We also utilized Nomad lounge in AK on our day there (hint; you don't have to get alcoholic drinks, they serve mock-tails too, and small plates).

I wouldn't hesitate to go again in Summer, went in July 2 years ago as well and it was similar.

ETA; it does usually rain in the afternoons, however for our trip it only rained one evening late (around 9:30pm).

Coming from Miami, the heat and humidity shouldn't be a major problem for you. We travel from NY, and visit every summer in August. The heat and humidity are pretty intense for us, but manageable. It is crowded, but with the crowds come longer park hours, so it is a trade off. We manage to have enough fun visiting in August to make us want to return again the next year, so I say go for it.

Try to keep looking to see if you can modify your ToT FP time and move that time up to be closer behind your SD FP. If you can't, unless you are staying at a Boardwalk resort, I would urge you not to leave after your SD 1:40 FP because you will no sooner get back to your resort and it will be time to travel back for your ToT 4:30 FP.

I think it would be easier on you to have a TS reservation for a late lunch in some nice air conditioning or plan on touring some of the air conditioned shows between your SD & ToT FP's. Then after your 4:30 ToT, call it a day and go back to the resort to swim.

Have a great time!

Good idea - I'll change that ToT FP time - just not sure to when. Though we may just have to stay at HS all day -- the Star Wars guided tour runs from 8 am to 1 pm (with Jedi training and Star Tours included) -- and we have a 6:40 ADR at 50s. The tour comes with a reserved viewing area for the Star Wars fireworks (a must do for our family). So we may just hit Slinky at 1:40 and leave immediately after -- coming back around 5:30 in the evening.

We went last week. 2 moms and our 5 year olds. We drank lots of water. I took advantage of the free ice water from the restaurants to lighten my load. We also did lots of the shows and indoor stuff between the outdoor rides.

I’ll be honest, Animal Kingdom was brutal, but we made it. The heat always gets me there.

Be prepared for rain. We lost our car in the parking lot during a down pour and we survived.

I’m talking my husband into going back in Aug. our passes expire the end of Aug and i’s like Another trip.

This! Why is Animal Kingdom always sooooo much hotter than the other parks??? I guess all the vegetation means no breeze. That is strictly a morning and evening park for us in the summer.

We get the DDP and never need all the snack credits, so use it on bottled water. Definitely important to stay hydrated.

Also, bring ponchos and rain covers for strollers.

We’re AP’s who live in Miami. Needless to say, we go almost monthly.. (Except in the summer months.) I’m dying to go now or in August.. but can’t imagine the heat and crowds at Disney right now. Anyone that’s recently gone.. how was it? Crowds? Heat? Rain? ... but did you die?! Is it worth going now, or were you just absolutely miserable? TIA!
This is the end of our second week here. There have been light crowds in the mornings and heavier crowds in the afternoons. We have been able to walk on every ride except the top ride at each park until around 11am. Single rider lines are also almost walk on at the rides that have it all day. Staying at BWI and have done test track every day walking on as single rider.

It has rained about half of the days. We do a waterpark or the pool in the afternoon to deal with the heat.

Have done one August trip, which being from the great grey PNW, was a shock to ur systems but we didn't die. We got going early, took midday resort breaks every day for pool time and power naps and then went out again in the evenings.

This! Why is Animal Kingdom always sooooo much hotter than the other parks??? I guess all the vegetation means no breeze. That is strictly a morning and evening park for us in the summer.

We get the DDP and never need all the snack credits, so use it on bottled water. Definitely important to stay hydrated.

Also, bring ponchos and rain covers for strollers.
I am not sure why this is, but it is true. My joke, every single time, is that it is as hot as Africa here. What can I say, I am a Dad, I make Dad jokes. The kids just roll their eyes and keep moving.

I think AK just has a lot of walking, and indoor events are few and far between.

To the OP, I am a 49 year old 300 pound guy originally from NY, now living in Charlotte. With the noted exception of last summer, we have been in Disney EVERY summer for the past 15 years. I have been there at least every third summer since 1979.

It is hot, but it is doable. You learn tricks (sunscreen, water, get in early, wear a hat). You learn a good plan (The Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents is 20-30 minutes of indoor air conditioning). I can walk most places knowing what to cut thru, how to stay in the shade or in the air. We tend to go to a park, head back to the hotel either before, after or for lunch, take a shower, then head back out a little later in the day. I tend to take at least 3 showers in a day. I tend to do somewhere between 25,000-30,000 steps a day when there.

Not sure why I still weigh as much as I do, could be due to the amount of Mickey Ear Ice Cream I eat while there.

Thanks for the baby wipe tip! We usually go to Disney in Nov, Jan, or Feb. and don’t deal with the oppressive heat/humidity. But we will be there for a week at the end of August this year. I don’t carry wipes anymore because my girls are older but when you are all hot and sweaty I am sure they will help clean you up and refresh you a bit! I will definitely be putting a travel pack, OR TWO, in my park bag!

I've only been to Disney in July (one trip in April which was miserably crowded) and for me the heat is not a big deal. It's summer. It's hot. I'm in WV and it's hot as hell as I speak. The whole east coast and midwest is roasting. Florida is nothing special.

I find when I'm in the parks I'm rarely out in the sun for more than a few minutes. You're constantly in and out of ac or at least shaded areas with fans.

Just don't overexert yourself. Move slowly. Stay calm. Stay hydrated. Take breaks. It's really not bad at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter