Summer of Heroes - June 2017 Lifestyle/Weight loss Challenge

I never thought that if you lose only a 1/2 pound a week you are 26 pounds after a year. I do follow this though. I just thing if I am down just a 1/2 pound the 1/2 pound less to get rid of. I am still down. it is better then going up.

I find it super helpful to visualize. It may be icky for some, but just google what half a pound of fat looks like. And now all of that is gone from your body!

Imagine what 26 pounds looks like! If staring at fat isn't your thing then you can find other similar substances :)

Q'sOTD:

Weekend plans: When my Brother moved to Texas he said one of the biggest adjustments was that there when the weather gets hot you stay indoors vs. here when you get hot weather you get outside and do stuff. I was very Texan this weekend. The temps were up in to the 90's, which is really hot for us, so I spent most of the weekend in the house with the air conditioner blasting. Saturday I did get out early, like 7:30am, to work on cleaning up the yard/garden for an hour. Then I drove out to my yarn store, another lovely relaxing drive in to the foothills of the Cascades. The rest of the day was spent inside... and Sunday the only thing that took me out of the house was a trip to the grocery store. Today we are supposed to be back down in to the 70's, which is ideal.

Not making goals: I either seem to be 100% on target or 100% not even trying, and not making goal happens when I'm not even trying so its never a surprise or mystery. Right now I'm just trying to transition in to eating well and getting good nutrition in to my body, then I'll start to think about losing weight again. Late last week I got my first box of food from Freshly, and I'm not liking it all that much so I'll be cancelling today. I don't love the food itself but more than that I'm finding that I don't like having so many microwaved meals... I didn't really know this of myself nor did I really think about how prepared meals would be cooked. I think it will be the same with may prepared meal program, so I am just going to have to start to cook.

Friday I finally got caught up from being on vacation two weeks ago, so this week should be pretty good without as much stress or scrambling. I am in a training class part of Tuesday and Wednesday so it's good my work load will be more normal. It's going to be a week of baby steps in the right direction, little changes like skipping Starbucks and getting my step count back up.

Here's to a healthful week for us all.

I know what you mean. I feel like this month is flying by. We have had way too much going on. I am hoping July is better

You can peel asparagus??? I didn't know that. I might have to look into that.

Oh yeah! Definitely makes it less stringy/chewy. It's easiest with the medium to large spears. I just use a veggie peeler.

QOTD - I get frustrated. I think what did I do wrong? Amount of sleep? Too Many carbs? Fruit? Too much sodium? Ugh.. make myself a bit crazy at first. And then I just try and move on. I know that any and all downward movement is good and I try to tell myself I am making a lifestyle change, not a diet, so it may take some time.

Hi All! This weekend was very nice. We went to our friends house on the beach and hung out all day Saturday -- had so much fun, we all reconvened for a take two on Sunday! There were some not so good choices around, but I tried to stick to mainly meats and veggies--- with the occasional sweet haha!

I am pretty sure my toe is broken... so now I have to be careful with my eating so as not to completely destroy my progress. I am going to take the week off from the gym since I'm still in a lot of pain. Luckily, you can do the bike for the cardio part of Orangetheory... so as soon as wearing sneakers doesn't hurt anymore, I will drag myself back to the gym. But it looks like I am on a mandatory hiatus for now.

Question of the day -- I was looking up quotes this morning and found this one. So many times we try to lose a pound or more a week and then when we don't it gets very frustrating. How do you handle not meeting a weekly or monthly goal?

I'm generally alright with myself if I tried hard -- but if i didn't put in the work, I usually try to justify my excuses to myself. Sometimes I think that what I am doing isn't working and that I need to need to switch things up to change things. Which I'm sure is true sometimes, but sometimes, I think I just need to be consistent for more than 4 weeks to see results on the scale. This is when going based on how my clothes fits makes me feel like I'm making progress.

June 27th

Iron Man.jpg

Question of the Day -- Iron Man has a ton of gadgets that he uses on a daily bases. Some are necessary and some are just fro fun. What gadgets do you use to help you in this journey? What are your necessary ones vs the ones you use for fun?

Question of the Day -- My fitbit is necessary. It shows me how lazy or active I have been. I also would like My Fitness Pal to be as well. I am just not good at keeping up with it. For fun I think would be Netflix. I get to watch my shows as I work out. This makes working out so much more enjoyable.

QOTD: My FitBit for sure, altho I haven't been doing my daily 10,000 for a couple months now. A normal day is around 7,000, so it really wouldn't take that much more, I just need to make it happen. And actually I've decided not to go in for one-on-one yoga sessions quite yet, as I need to lose some weight so I can move well enough to make it worth while, so I do need to make walking a focus again, to help burn calories.

I did burn some calories last evening mowing the front lawn: tonight it'll be whacking down the grass in the back, because it's gotten to tall for the mower again. I'm trying to change my habits and do a little bit all the time, instead of letting things build up to such a major effort... kind of the same as how I need to change my approach to getting healthy - do a few things better each day.

Hey guys, I am back after a week of the dreaded FLU! It was seriously the worst illness I think I have ever had and I haven't been able to run in over a week. No exercise stressed me out because instead of focusing on getting better I was so worried I was going to gain weight. I am so glad I am, for the most part, over it.

Question of the Day -- Iron Man has a ton of gadgets that he uses on a daily bases. Some are necessary and some are just fro fun. What gadgets do you use to help you in this journey? What are your necessary ones vs the ones you use for fun?
I have my Garmin watch, mostly for my runs but it also counts my steps for the day. That gadget is a necessary one to make sure I am running at a good pace. I also have my phone that plays my podcasts for motivation, has my Strava app that helps me connect with other runners plus be accountable and my phone has my calorie tracker. I think that is also a necessity because without it I would have probably lost my motivation long ago.

QOTTD - Fitbit for sure. Love knowing where I am at. i walk all over the house at night just to seee the number turn to 10K. A food scale is new for me but when I joined WW, it was highly recommended. I have to say it has been eye opening! I Used to kind of snicker when I would hear people say how they are measuring everything out- well I have now drank the WW kool aid and I measure all kinds of things including dressings, ketchup...I mention ketchup as I sit here eating FF with 1 TB of ketchup as part of my lunch. Yum!

QOTD: My treadmill helps a lot. It's easy for me to tell myself I'll just walk a few minutes on it and always end up going more. Measuring cups! I grew up eating way too big portions, so that helps me know what really is ok. If I'm still hungry I just add vegetables. Also, my infusion water bottle. Just a big of fruit put in the middle makes the water have a hint of flavor and it makes me drink at least double the water that I would have before.

June 28th

WOOHOO Wednesday

Tells us something that was or is good in your life right now or in the past week.

Sorry for no picture today. Work is just really busy right now and I didn't have time to look for one this morning.

I have several things.

1. My daughter is done with PT except for one more appointment with at PT whose was a dance teacher to make sure she doesn't see anything.
2. I get to go the Indians game tonight (our major league baseball team) with work.
3. I am off of work Monday - Wednesday next week. I am so ready for a few days off.

Woohoo's:

* I seem to always be fixated on the weather, so let's start with that: we're in for a pretty good run and even the 4th of July, which more often than not requires some sort of rain jacket, is looking OK.
* My adrenal function lab test came back... it seems to be OK for the most part but might point to some issues with sleep quality, which has been an open question for me. I have a follow up appointment Friday, to go over it.
* I get my hair colored this afternoon... I'm going back to the hip/trendy place so I can feel like I'm hip and trendy plus it costs less. :hippie:

Hello everyone - it has a been a busy week and I have found myself falling asleep on the couch when I usually come on here to chat - which explains my absence. But today I am off work until July 10 - the kids on are school break already. I wish I could say I have done wonderful things health wise but I am still a work in progress with finding my groove/motivation again at the moment.

I am pretty sure my toe is broken...

Ouch - for little things toes always hurt so much! Hope you recover quickly.

I am pretty low tech - budget forces me to be. I use my laptop to chat with you all, research health & fitness topics and to find recipes ideas. I have my phone - which counts steps but probably not all of them - as there are times when I set it down eg. in the house at work but am still moving around (mind you this still wouldn't get me to 10000 even if it was counted), MFP app. My fun tech - does not help me lol it is my TV and calls me to the couch.

Hey guys, I am back after a week of the dreaded FLU! It was seriously the worst illness I think I have ever had and I haven't been able to run in over a week. No exercise stressed me out because instead of focusing on getting better I was so worried I was going to gain weight. I am so glad I am, for the most part, over it.

Glad to hear you are feeling better and will be back to your running soon.

WOOHOO Wednesday

Woohoos
  • I am off work for a week and a bit - time to relax and spend with the kids.
  • I will go similar to Oneanne and woohoo the weather - we have some perfect days here at the moment - clear, blue skies, warm in the day and cooler snuggle into a blanket at night. Part of my plan is that I want to be out in it doing something each day of my break.
  • My kids - just really appreciating them this week especially DS16 who has helped me out so much this week.

Hello everyone,

We went to the movies today - we split up the boys went to see Pirates of the Caribbean and DD and I went to see Wonder Woman. DD and I loved Wonder Woman - we came out feeling very kick@$$ and strong :rotfl:now I just have to get my body to feel it/do it ...

So I lived up to my desire to be active each day so far - we played front yard cricket for about an hour and a half this afternoon after getting home from the movies - the boys from next door joined us also.

I seem to be making up for lost time today!

Have you ever gone through your bank statements to check your spending on takeout - and what you thought you were spending on groceries? I just did that and WOW :scared1: - I am way overspending on groceries than what I thought and Takeout for the last month just left me gobsmacked. This is all due to lack of planning and sticking to the plan. Well that just really gives me what my goal for next month needs to be - which will have a double effect of healthier eating and redirecting $$ to better used places!

Okay I am off again to start that meal planning :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!