Summer of Heroes - June 2017 Lifestyle/Weight loss Challenge

For me celebrations depend if they are with my side of the family or husband's side. Let's compare Christmas Dinner for an example. My side it is apps of cream cheese and crab dip, with crackers, salsa and chips, huge fruit tray, 2 veggie trays one of non pickled items and one with pickles-The red hot cinnamon pickles are delicious I could eat them by the jar and have done it once or twice ( OK more than that), the pickled beans and carrots are ok as are the dills and bread and butters now the beets I leave them alone), cheese and cold sausages, popcorn cake, and homemade caramels in several flavors. Inlaws if there is anything it is several kinds of cookies, potato chips and dip, chex mix, and not a veggie in site. Meal my side it is usually prime rib, baked potato, a steamed vegetable usually brocolli or peas and carrots, sometime crab legs depending on the price. If we don't have prime than we have a pork leg roast that my dad and brother carefully prepare doing a nice brine and smoking it with just enough fat to not dry it out during the smoking, oh and we also have green bean caserole, and candied yams. Inlaws it is usually a dried out turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing, maybe a lettuce salad, a small veggie tray which does get kept out with the desserts for later, green bean casserole.

I had to giggle a little at this -- I feel like I could have written this myself! It's much easier for me to not give into temptation at the in laws than with my family. My side always has a larger spread an (in my humble opinion) much tastier selection than the in laws for sure!
Well that picture of Chris/Thor for a start :rotfl2:

My thoughts exactly! :rotfl:

As for another, I hit 2 personal records at the gym this week - one running, one rowing! When the scale ain't moving, it feels so motivating to still see non-scale progress :)

14th of June
WhooHoo Wednesday! What makes you smile today?

giphy.gif

lol - @piglet1979 will have some work to do to revive the theming of posts!​
EEK!! I've been gone too long, and there's no way I'll be able to play catch-up :o But I'll start over today- planning to go to HeroesCon on Friday with my DBF makes me smile today!!

My woohoo for the day is I have made it to day 3 of the sugar detox and have already lost 4lbs!! It hasn't been easy but I am pushing through. I am also woohooing that my two oldest made it safely to my parents last night. I spent all day yesterday driving them to the airport, waiting for them to take off and then driving home, it was such a stressful day.

I will test confront and conquer today! I plan not to drink at all at the aerosmith concert. I had very nice dinner and a smoothie, slightly above my normal but still left 1/3rd of it. The portions were HUGE!

I really want to go to the gym tomorrow and I don't fancy poor sleep, headache I get if I have drink, hangover and hunger when I drink. So I will go enjoy my night and drink sparkling water

lets see how I do!

I will test confront and conquer today! I plan not to drink at all at the aerosmith concert. I had very nice dinner and a smoothie, slightly above my normal but still left 1/3rd of it. The portions were HUGE!

I really want to go to the gym tomorrow and I don't fancy poor sleep, headache I get if I have drink, hangover and hunger when I drink. So I will go enjoy my night and drink sparkling water

lets see how I do!
Have fun!!

Thursday 15th of June
Check in day
One thing you did great last week! (or 5!)
One think you will do better or differently last week
Is your goal still working for you? If it doesn't - you can change it at any time!
I hope you all are smashing it

OoYWL.gif

My week was mixed bag!
I over did it with exercise - one of my challanges!
I over did it with food next day
I spend two days dwelling on should I should I work out and I knew I shouldn't but I felt the urge to do it. This builds up stress

I end up being in very good calorie balance, even deficit this week. I stayed aware. I didn't make it worse by working out before I am truly ready to. I added a note -reason for eating too much - over doing it in the gym. Its' tricky. I love being in the gym. I love working out. I hate days off as it's fun. You don't get the same clear signal that you need rest as you do with when you eat food and you end up too full.

You take it one day, one meal, one pound at a time. That's all that you can do. As @courtneybeth said 2 days ago. Trying to do your best on that day.

I didn't drink yesterday! The night was PHENOMENAL! Both Steven Tyler age 69 and Joe Perry 66 had amazing energy and looked great! I don't know if some of you recall but last year when that video of Steven Tyler with his family & friends looking happy and healthy doing the Rock Coaster at Disney I thought that this is good goal for me! Being with family and friends, being healthy, doing things i love - sun, disney! I want this more than I care for food. That's the true!

I was wondering this morning about how they eat and workout and are they just lucky. Both of them watch their weight very very closely and value staying slim and fit and workout! Of course they do! How did it ever cross my mind that they didn't. One eat more balanced type delivery service meals, the other Paleo. And both check on each other if they are still same weight. According to google

I am very sad this is farewell tour. I grown up listening songs like Crazy and Dream on! But I felt it's important aha moment, a refresher of how i feel, a reassurance that weight management does not have end point, and this is ok. It's just what it takes. Others do it.

I dream of that kind of vitality to look ahead to!

Thursday 15th of June
Check in day
Is your goal still working for you? If it doesn't - you can change it at any time!

OoYWL.gif

One great thing I did was download the FatSecret App. I've been recording my foods and exercise on it each day with no fudging. Yay me. One thing I'll do better is research what foods I like that are higher in fiber and protein.

My goal is absolutely working for me! My husband and I take turns on the treadmill each night and while one is walking, the other is cleaning the family room and sorting the games/books on the shelves. :) Win-Win.

Alright one thing I did great this week so far was being prepared with healthy foods for dinner. I started rehearsals Sunday and thus far I've been able to throw together super fast dinners that are still packed with nutrition. I haven't had to rely on grabbing some fast food on the way to rehearsal or eating any junk food in the car and it's been amazing!

My goal is working, next month I think I may even try to bump it up! We'll see how the month finishes out :)

This isn't related to the topic today but it's something that I struggle with. I mentioned above that I've been really good about eating healthy dinners before rehearsal, but some days I show up and people have all sorts of delicious smelling garbage food (cheeseburgers...mmmm...). There's one woman in particular who brings something like that almost every day and she is so gorgeous! So then I start thinking "Wow, how unfair is it that I'm over here nibbling carrot sticks and this beautiful woman gets to eat french fries- multiple times a week??!!" I have to stop myself because that is such dangerous thinking. I don't know where she is in her life, health wise. I don't know her story. I can't compare myself to other people because there is no one else exactly like me at the exact same spot in life!

So whenever thoughts like those creep in, first I give myself some love. Something like: Girl, you're not defined by a number on a scale or the size on a tag. The way you look is not who you are.
Then I have to remind myself that I'm working hard to create a healthier lifestyle for my family, and what other people 'get' to eat has no affect on that plan.

I just wanted to share some encouragement if any of you ever struggle with the comparison game (and if you're human, you have). None of us are the same and it's unfair, unwise, and unhealthy to compare each other. We are all beautiful works of art!

@Flossbolna I hope you are well and your mum is back to safety. My thoughts are with you and your family

Thanks, yes we are all well! My mother has some nasty bruises but they are healing well. She is recovering better than the rest of us who has to get over the shock.

I am just so busy at the moment with work, spending time with my BF and other stuff that actually getting online to post has become a bit difficult. I do too much reading on my phone and posting from phone is just so tedious.

And then we are getting ready for the Asia trip! Today I spent a lot of time printing out documents and making sure all papers are in order. But I can't wait! I know you feel the same about California for sure!

Thursday 15th of June
Check in day

OoYWL.gif

Hulk smash goals. Hulk doing awesome at training. ;)

Heat has been an issue so it's been finding a balance with time and "sucking it up" to put feet on the pavement. It's only going to get more difficult as summer continues.

Awesome things? Hmm. I ate theme park food without guilt yesterday during a work event. It was the first time I've been able to do so. I also found out I'm going to Copenhagen at the end of August for work. Yay. Maybe I should stop over is Oslo on the way back and cross Norway off the Epcot list. Though let's be real - Epcot norway is an amalgamation of scandavian countries and frozen.

QOTD:

It's my oldest friend's birthday today. :) There are three of us who have been friends since middle school (38 years!) and our birthdays are all within 6 days of each other (June 8th, 10th, 14th) and we all turned 50 (*gasp*!) this year. So that's what is making me smile today. :)

Happy Birthday fellow Gemini!

Catching up again... I ended up being out of the office again yesterday because of my Nephew's high school graduation. I had been planning to just go to the after-party, which would have been after work hours (and was the only thing I was actually invited to) then my Brother started giving me grief for not coming to the graduation ceremony (to which I was never actually invited... seeing a pattern here?). My Sister wanted me to ride with her and she had an appointment just before, so that meant leaving around 10:30am, so working was out of the question. It was kind of tough to be out another day when I'm still catching up from being on vacation, but it all worked out in the end, and he's all graduated now and grown up.

QOTD: Something I did good last week - I came to work Monday and put in a full productive day after getting home in the wee hours that morning and getting very little sleep. And I wasn't even cranky (I am feeling kind of cranky today however :rolleyes1).
Something I could/should do better - I've slipped right back in my habit of having Starbuck's for breakfast... this will stop next week.
Goal - I've been looking at the calendar's for the yoga teacher and nutritionist and will get things booked soon.

For some reason I'm dead tired today (hence the crankiness), so hopefully the caffeine will kick in soon and carry me thru the day. It's going to be a heads down scramble to keep in front of things, so I do need to stay awake!

Hello Dearies!

So, a belated woo-hoo for yesterday... I took the kids shopping to get more shorts for the trip, and found a couple of shirts I love for myself!

As for "how the week has gone..." Mixed bag. Now that the kids are off for summer break, eating right is harder and exercise is near-impossible. I can't really say I'm in a plateau, because that would imply I'm eating well, exercising, and stagnating anyway... no, this is more of "involuntary maintenance." I'm eating more, exercising less, and staying about the same. It sucks. Yesterday I'd had enough of it, so as soon as H got home, I went walked to the store. It was nice to go my own pace without the slowpokes in tow.

While I was there, I decided to check out the powdered peanut butter I'd been hearing about. PB2 is the brand I was looking for, but my little neighborhood grocery only had the Jif equivalent.

**OMG!!!** LIFE ALTERING!!! Somebody should get a nobel prize for that stuff, I'm not kidding!

We had some with celery last night and everybody liked it, then this morning I had a toasted PBJ for breakfast with double-fiber bread, sugar-free jelly, and "special" peanut butter. 160ish calories, 11 grams of protein, 11 grams of fiber, 2 grams of fat.... and YUMMY!!! Because of the low fat and sugar, there wasn't the weird "coating" on the tongue after it was finished... more of a clean feeling, the flavor was gone after a sip of my drink... but that's not a bad thing.

So yeah, super happy with that discovery! (So far no unfortunately gastric side-effects, but I'll report back if there are...)

Hello Dearies!

So, a belated woo-hoo for yesterday... I took the kids shopping to get more shorts for the trip, and found a couple of shirts I love for myself!

As for "how the week has gone..." Mixed bag. Now that the kids are off for summer break, eating right is harder and exercise is near-impossible. I can't really say I'm in a plateau, because that would imply I'm eating well, exercising, and stagnating anyway... no, this is more of "involuntary maintenance." I'm eating more, exercising less, and staying about the same. It sucks. Yesterday I'd had enough of it, so as soon as H got home, I went walked to the store. It was nice to go my own pace without the slowpokes in tow.

While I was there, I decided to check out the powdered peanut butter I'd been hearing about. PB2 is the brand I was looking for, but my little neighborhood grocery only had the Jif equivalent.

**OMG!!!** LIFE ALTERING!!! Somebody should get a nobel prize for that stuff, I'm not kidding!

We had some with celery last night and everybody liked it, then this morning I had a toasted PBJ for breakfast with double-fiber bread, sugar-free jelly, and "special" peanut butter. 160ish calories, 11 grams of protein, 11 grams of fiber, 2 grams of fat.... and YUMMY!!! Because of the low fat and sugar, there wasn't the weird "coating" on the tongue after it was finished... more of a clean feeling, the flavor was gone after a sip of my drink... but that's not a bad thing.

So yeah, super happy with that discovery! (So far no unfortunately gastric side-effects, but I'll report back if there are...)
Yes this stuff is amazing! I use a different brand..Santa something but it's awesome. I love peanut butter in my smoothies so this lets me have it without all the calories!

QOTD- Thur- Had WW weigh in, down another 2.2, so I am 75% for the goals this month. I am getting my 10K steps almost every day. Good- I added small hand weights to try and work on the arms. No real challenges- just trying to keep finding a few new dinner recipes, different snacks.

I must be boring-I have nothing going on here at all. I do have the house to myself until tomorrow night, DH and DSs went to Orlando for a conference for work. So just me and the pup, and I can't think of a thing I WANT to do, just all the things I need to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!