Summer Cruise in 2004 ?'s

Disneycrazymom

DIS Veteran
I just came over to start to learn about a cruise on the Magic for next summer, and see that many have already booked for that time. Are the rates better to book early, or should I wait for a last minute deal? I saw some listed in the Vacations to Go newsletter for next month and they seem like pretty good deals. When is the best time in summer to go? Some background, we are a family of 4 (DS10 and DD3) we enjoy the parks and DH and I have enjoyed the cruise experience before the kids came along. So I am sure we will enjoy the Disney cruise. We would like a verandah so I think that would be cat 7 or up? Please give me lots of great tips!!! Thank-you.:D

Let me be the first to invite you come and join our group on June 19, 2004 Western. We have a good group going then and would love to add your family. There is a post further down with the list of all the families and the ages of the children going, you'll have to check it out. I'm sure you and your family will love whenever you go.

Thank-you for the kind invitation Patches! I think we are leaning toward the Eastern as we were in the Riviera Maya last year, and have not been to St Thomas for some time. Should I be worried about booking this now? Do staterooms sell out?:) Thank-you.

We booked on the Eastern Magic 8/21/04 a few weeks ago. It does seem kind of weird to book so far ahead, but it locks in a good price. If the price of the cruise goes down after you book it, an agency like Dreams Unlimited (they sponsor these boards and I booked through them...) will refund the difference! This way, you've got your dates set and you don't to worry about not getting your stateroom request (or worse, the cruise sells out!)

I thought at first that you could get specific answers about the actual discounts, but the usual reply is the earlier you book, the lower the price. Request a few quotes, or go to the official Disney Cruise site and play around with some dates. You'll begin to see the price differences. Just try the weeks in August 8/7, 8/14 and 8/21 and you'll see what I mean!

Hope that helps!!:D :D

Originally posted by Disneycrazymom
I just came over to start to learn about a cruise on the Magic for next summer, and see that many have already booked for that time. Are the rates better to book early, or should I wait for a last minute deal? I saw some listed in the Vacations to Go newsletter for next month and they seem like pretty good deals. When is the best time in summer to go? Some background, we are a family of 4 (DS10 and DD3) we enjoy the parks and DH and I have enjoyed the cruise experience before the kids came along. So I am sure we will enjoy the Disney cruise. We would like a verandah so I think that would be cat 7 or up? Please give me lots of great tips!!! Thank-you.:D

We just booked for June 26th 2004 eastern. There was an early booking discount. We booked a cat 6 with a veranda.

We're the same as you we have already done the western (different cruise line) and have never been to St Thomas etc. so decided to do the eastern this time.
We did cruise on the wonder 4 days last july also had a cat 6 with verandra. had a great time.

I booked our last cruise Eastern 8/9/ 03 while on board 8/2002. Come sail date our cruised cost $1700 more, that's the reason to book as early as possible. Unless you are a Florida resident or Disney Cast member you get no discounts at the end, only higher prices. Cabins not booked, from what I understand, are offered to the above stated at discounts. Even at 1 year out last year, and this year (for 8/2004) when I booked the specifice cabin I wanted was not available, and we always sail in a CAT9.

Yes it does seem funny to book this far out but we booked ours for June 2004 as soon as the dates opened up. We went through Dreams Unlimited and as lalapodip said they will watch it and if the price goes down they will automatically adjust the price, which I really liked as I don't have to keep up with watches the prices. The final payment still isn't due until 60 before you cruise or you can make payments along so it doesn't hit you all at once. Hope you have a great time. We did the Eastern in 2001 and really enjoyed it. Can hardly wait until June!:bounce:

If you're looking for the eastern cruise, may I suggest the August 7th cruise to San Juan and St. Thomas? We have a fun bunch of people going on that cruise, five families who sailed together on the July 5th cruise this year and so fat seven more families have joined us. We are up to 65 people so far with families included. Check out the August 7th Cruise topic for more info.

If you really want a verandah you might want to book in the next couple of months. Those rooms might be booked if you wait too long. Of course, any room on DCL is good. :D

Wow 65 people from the Dis, now that would be fun!

My concern with booking this early is that DH (consultant) never knows until right before if he can take the time off. I guess we could just pick a week and hope for the best! What kind of cancellation policy do they have? I have taken the kids by myself to the parks when on the end he could not get the week off, but I don't want to do a cruise without him.

I have used Dreams before and would be very happy to use them again for this trip. There are discounts for everyone in the Vacations to Go newsletter, but I do not think that you get to pick a cabin.

Isn't Aug hurricane season? Thank-you for the help!:)

Hi!

We are also booked on the 6/26 Eastern next year. I booked this the day the rates were released with Dreams Unlimited. Right now, I believe they are offering a booking rebate of some kind. We have two cat. 6 verandahs. This is our second cruise in June because of my teaching schedule and June, while it is technically hurricane season, rarely sees them.

The cancellation policy is a full refund of any money you have paid if you cancel before 60 days out. Full payment is due at that 60 day mark. From there it gets foggy for me, but I believe you can still get 50% back up to a certain point which is a lot of money to lose.

Have fun planning!

Hi....we are spehding 4 days at WDW then boarding the Wonder on July 4th 2004.

We booked our trip (3rd trip to WDW, and also our 1st cruise)
in Dec of 2002! But best of all...we had it payed off by April of 2003!!

...........It's never, never never too early too book..... !!!

we booked our 7 day eastern in 8/03 and the cruise is 11/13/04 cat 7. the only bad this is the wait. but ill live and learn more this time. i hope your kids enjoy the cruise and please let out the little kid out in you and DH. enjoy

We booked out first cruise a couple of weeks ago for Oct 10th Western, hoping to add on a night at WDW for MNSSHP. We got great rates and a room of our choice by booking this early. The only problem is now its killing me that I have to wait over a year so I have been searching and planning trying to squeeze in a 4 day somewhere between now and then.

Denise

I say BOOK it now! YOu can always cancel at the 60 day mark if it doesn't work out. We booked our 3 day cruise about 4 months before we left and booked our 7 day the day the reservations opened. Our 7 day only costed $800 more than our 3 day.... Sad but true. We really needed the 3 day cruise so, we are glad that we did it. You won't have any regrets no matter what price you pay. But if you pay less then you can spend more on the cruise for other stuff....

I would book as soon as possible for best savings. The only savings close to the cruise seem to be for Florida residents. We booked our 7/3/04 western in June.
Robin M.

If you are looking for a July non holiday season eastern the 24th has the reg st. martin/ st. thomas itinerary.

not promoting but a great website that is informative at a glance for pricing is www.allseastravel.com you can check all the prices for all the different disney cruise options without speaking to anyone.

I found the best prices for disney cruises to be at costco travel, but you have to be a costco member.

Good Luck

Wow! Thanks so much! We will most likely wait for a while to book even knowing it will cost more. Losing 1/2 at 60 days would just be too much of a risk. DH works contracts that are about 6 - 8 weeks long and travels quite a bit. We would only really know if he could get the time off at about 6 weeks or less before the trip. Such is the down side of consulting, the up side is we can afford to travel! It will work out I'm sure. Thanks again!:)

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter