Suggestions for Picky Husband

kaffinito

<font color=teal>Grant me the Serenity to Accept t
HELP!

I am in need of some dinner suggestions for my picky DH. It will be for our first night at WDW, and for his first dinner on his very first trip. Since he is pretty anti-Disney, character meals are out.

He likes average, regular, ordinary food, and will not eat pork or shellfish. He also doesn't eat a lot of steak and prefers chicken. I already have us booked at RR and Boma. (Jiko is a little too far out for him.)

I have been trying to find a good restaurant for him for a few months now, and need some help with this one. Can anyone suggest a good place to take him?

If it helps at all, I was thinking (seriously) about dragging him to MK on our first night after our massages and pool time, so anywhere near there or near the monorail would be great.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
Karen

i like Whispering Canyon Cafe, at wilderness lodge, although it ca be a bit loud. I would say it's about like comfort food, with a hint of bar bar q. We always like to try different places, and will look at the menus on all ears website. We always seem to find something for everyone. good luck.

HELP!

I am in need of some dinner suggestions for my picky DH. It will be for our first night at WDW, and for his first dinner on his very first trip. Since he is pretty anti-Disney, character meals are out.

He likes average, regular, ordinary food, and will not eat pork or shellfish. He also doesn't eat a lot of steak and prefers chicken. I already have us booked at RR and Boma. (Jiko is a little too far out for him.)

TIA!
Karen

You should take him to Jiko, if the tandori chicken is still on the menu...he will love it. Jiko does not have "far out" food. It is actually very wonderful and delicious.

You should take him to Jiko, if the tandori chicken is still on the menu...he will love it. Jiko does not have "far out" food. It is actually very wonderful and delicious.

I would agree - I actually found that for me the Boma food was farther "out there" than Jiko food, probably because at Jiko I could order just what I wanted and at Boma I felt a need to "try" most things

The Wave at the Contemporary was great.

On the monorail so it is a quick trip.

If you want Counter service your husband will love the burgers at Pecos Bill's. I usually hate counter service burgers but this was awesome.

How about Liberty Tree Tavern, ESPN Club, Cape May Cafe, Beaches and Cream, or Grand Floridian Cafe?

All have good basic food.

Go for 50's Prime Time - the food is good and it's all comfort food.

Does he like Italian? How about Tutto Italia?

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

It's a lot easier picking a place for my trips with my kids. They like to try different places. My husband is a lot more difficult!

I looked at the menus and have it narrowed down a little. I wish I could take him to Artists Point or The Wave - they are on my list of places to try!

WCC has the perfect food, but it will be way too loud for him. :faint: But it might be worth it just for the food - it's awesome food. :scratchin He might actually have fun there as well....

A couple of thoughts for you... at WCC when you check in you could ask the host/hostess for an out of the way table with a bit less "action". In MK I would suggest the Plaza Restaurant for a pleasant, low key in park meal. No characters just really good sandwichs, salads and ice cream with a view of the castle. I also second the ESPN choice for one meal at WDW. It is fun but not Disney-ish.

Lastly, I would say that they very first trip my family went on 11 years ago, I had to convince my DH that it would be fun for him too, he somewhat reluctanly went along with it and boy did he get hooked. Now he loves WDW and looks forward to going back for our 5th time next year. I seem to recall a moment from that first trip, sitting on the Poly beach drinking an ice cold beer while it was a blizzard back home in MI and DH saying "Wow, this is awesome". Maybe your DH will end up loving it too. :beach:

Dh used to be picky too but he has really branched out and now Jiko is his all time fav place to eat.

I suggest going to allearsnet.com and look at the menus....worked for me!

I had the same issue when we went in 2007. My BF was ULTRA-picky. Likes sandwiches (balogna), steak, and potatoes (and not much else!)

He loved Le Cellier, 50's prime time cafe, whispering canyon was ok for him and that was about it. He complained the whoooooolllllleeeee trip and he didn't even pay for it! (jerk)

Here are some that should work for him.
In the Poly the Kona Cafe
In the GF the GF Cafe
In the CR the Wave
In the MK- LTT , CP or Tony's
Have A Magical Trip :thumbsup2

For what it's worth, this is the only restaurant that we have ever been to at Disney that we regretted. The meal was quite pricey, the service was unfriendly, and the food itself was unappetizing (salads were downright nasty).

I know that it's not fair to judge a place on one visit. We could have had a server AND hostess that were having a bad night. Maybe the food choices weren't good (though I'm a steak guy, hard to mess up a steak). The price doesn't bother me - I'm fine with dropping $100+ for a two person meal if it's good quality.

This was NOT - at least, not on our visit.

If you want to go into MK then what about The Plaza Restaurant. Good basic food that your picky husband should like. I am a very picky non-adventurous eater. I like The Plaza.

One thing to keep in mind for picky eaters is that most restaurants will alter the preparation of a dish by omitting sauces for example. Since they took the barbecue filet off the menu at Le Cellier, DD has ordered the mushroom filet, with no mushrooms and substitute mashed potatoes for the risotto.

One thing to keep in mind for picky eaters is that most restaurants will alter the preparation of a dish by omitting sauces for example. Since they took the barbecue filet off the menu at Le Cellier, DD has ordered the mushroom filet, with no mushrooms and substitute mashed potatoes for the risotto.

Very good point. My husband will get his meat "naked". He will also substitute for any side dish that doesn't appeal to him. For example, if the dish was chicken with some sort of mayonnaise sauce (he hates mayo) and a side of veggies, he would ask for (and get) a chicken breast with another sauce (like BBQ or something else they had) and fries or rice or a potato dish.

When checking menus, don't forget to check the kids menus, especially if they offer fries. If they offer them there, they have them available for a substitution with any meal.

I have a health condition that requires me to be very careful about what I eat, which is different than just being picky, but I mostly eat "plain" foods. I don't know where you're staying so it might be a little out of the way, but the Trail's End Buffet at Fort Wilderness had very good food that I would consider "plain". We had dinner there last year and there is a lot of "unfancy" food (and the sweet tea was yummy!). It's a buffet so you only pick what you want to eat. If it weren't so out of the way I wouldn't mind going there again. Then again, its a nice, relaxing boat ride from the MK, so maybe I'll think about it.

ETA - there are no characters at Trail's End, and although the Whoop de Do show was in a connected building we never heard it. The noise level was really reasonable.

A couple of thoughts for you... at WCC when you check in you could ask the host/hostess for an out of the way table with a bit less "action". In MK I would suggest the Plaza Restaurant for a pleasant, low key in park meal.

Lastly, I would say that they very first trip my family went on 11 years ago, I had to convince my DH that it would be fun for him too, he somewhat reluctanly went along with it and boy did he get hooked. Now he loves WDW and looks forward to going back for our 5th time next year. :beach:

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope he has a good time too. I like your suggestions for the Plaza and for an out of the way table at WCC. Good ideas!

I had the same issue when we went in 2007. My BF was ULTRA-picky. Likes sandwiches (balogna), steak, and potatoes (and not much else!)

He loved Le Cellier, 50's prime time cafe, whispering canyon was ok for him and that was about it. He complained the whoooooolllllleeeee trip and he didn't even pay for it! (jerk)

Been there done that - that's why I have a new DH! :rotfl2:

If you want to go into MK then what about The Plaza Restaurant. Good basic food that your picky husband should like. I am a very picky non-adventurous eater. I like The Plaza.

Definitely going to look into the Plaza. The menu looks nice and light too. That might be a really good first place to take him!

And where were you last August when I was anguished over the demise of my favorite fillet at Le Cellier? If I had known that then, I could have had a very modified fillet with my beloved mashed potatoes! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter