Studio Backlot Tour Closing...?

choirchic

DIS Veteran
Has anyone heard news about the Backlot Tour at the Studios closing?

It was closed when we were there earlier this month, and no one could give an accurate answer as to when it would be up again...? :confused3 There are a lot of rumors circulating that it will close down permanently to make room for the Monsters Inc Factory that will house the New roller coaster.

While I'd be excited for a new thrill ride, I'm a little sad to see a classic go away.
I always liked castatrophe canyon and driving around all those old movie props....

That rumor has been around for awhile but no official announcement has been made. Some of the rumors say it's a temporary closure others say permanent. I agree with you that it would be a shame to see it close permanently since it has been there since the beginning and has a lot of nostalgia. Of course it shows a lot less now than it used to when all the prop, lighting and costume shops were all working on many projects. Maybe they could somehow arrange for a revised tour to swing through part of the new ride! That would be very neat.

It wasn't running on 9/14 or 9/15 and it wasn't listed on the information thingy as being closed. I didn't think much of it at the time as I still refuse to ride it since they did away with 3/4 of the tour.:snooty:

It's only a matter of time until the Backlot Tour closes forever. I used to love going on it in the past but when I was in WDW over the summer I never once bothered to go on. Catastrophe Canyon had its day and was exciting, but now it just seems boring and dated. This is one ride that has not been able to stand the test of time, mostly due to neglect. But the time has come to get rid of the Tour and put the area to good use.

I understand about it being outdated, but why wouldn't they just close it for a RE-Furb and UPDATE it? There's so much that they could do with it...

I understand about it being outdated, but why wouldn't they just close it for a RE-Furb and UPDATE it? There's so much that they could do with it...

They did this already. Their idea of "refurbing" it included removing over half of the attraction. It used to be the bomb mack daddy attraction. Not the case now. I agree- it's time for it to go and find a new home elsewhere in the park for the props

It wasn't running on 9/14 or 9/15 and it wasn't listed on the information thingy as being closed. I didn't think much of it at the time as I still refuse to ride it since they did away with 3/4 of the tour.:snooty:

It was running 9/12...in fact my party was part of the pre-show...does that mean we were some of the last ones to experience it?!?!?:confused:

No, not at all Kristin. It's back up and running now. So they must have had some unexpected issues.

It's apparently not going away very soon. But according to Screamscape, there is a small change coming early next year...
(9/18/08) In a strange bit of information, Screamscape has been told that the Backlot Tour will begin testing out an automated spiel system as early as October, removing the need to have live tour guides. Anyone know more?

(9/19/08) An inside source has confirmed to us that the Backlot Tram is scheduled to go down for rehab for as long as two months sometime in Janurary 2009. At this point the prerecorded spiel system will be added in time for a planned March reopening date.

An automated spiel...Ala The Land at Epcot? ...This is typical Disney modern day. Booooo.

They need to trash that auful Stunt & Motor Car show and give us some quality.
pirate:

Maybe because the studio barely does any filming anymore?

I don't even bother with it since they cut more then half of it out since it started. It is a shame that they chopped it up for the Action show which is not very interesting to me at all. I sure hope they dn't plan another roller coster ride that will be awful I hate roller coasters.

I agree.
The Tour USED to be much better, especially when they were filming and you might even get to see a "celebrity"--like we did when Dolly Parton was filming there.
Whatever happens though, I sure hope there isn't yet another coaster--but those rides seem to be the trend these days, so I think we're out of luck with any new dark rides.

I loved this ride when I was younger, I'm a television and film major and have always loved the "behind the scenes" attractions. But I was there over the weekend. Went on this for the first time since I was 8 (I'm now 25), It was sad to see how this ride had obvious neglect to it. I would like to see them do something else with the area. I feel it is an attraction you would only go to once, IMO. I personally don't want to look at rusted old props from movies...it looked terrible. It was sad.

My friend just got a call from Disney last week about hiring her b/c they have a position available for the ride. I don't think they'd hire her if they were thinking of shutting it down? :confused3

Very confusing...I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :confused3
I'd still ride it either with a guide or without a guide. It was nice and relaxing...kind of like the TTA in MK.

My friend just got a call from Disney last week about hiring her b/c they have a position available for the ride. I don't think they'd hire her if they were thinking of shutting it down? :confused3

1st, I have to say that I don't think that there are plans for an immediate shut-down of the attraction...very likely an eventual shut-down...just not right away. That said, Disney does things all the time that doesn't make sense- including hiring people for positions that may or may not be there next month. Remember the RRBC refurb the month before it closed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter