Stroller recommendations for 7 year old and 1 year old

Are you really going to need a stroller for the 7 year old?

You mentioned she was 3 the last time you went, so maybe you're underestimating her ability to do a Disney trip without a stroller? The last time we brought a stroller was when my youngest was 4 1/2. I brought it "just in case" since we were driving and had room. My plan was to try mornings and get the stroller during our afternoon break in case he needed it for the evening. 10 park days and the stroller never left the car. We do enjoy taking breaks though. Rope drop to close would be miserable for us otherwise.

That said, if you still feel you need something maybe a Maclaren stroller? I believe they hold kids up to 65lbs, they are easy to push, and easy to fold with one hand (a must if you are using the busses and holding a baby). I would use one stroller with a carrier for the baby. A double stroller is going to be a pain for a solo parent on the busses and I would think it would be difficult to push with the uneven weight between the two kids.

I'm not 100% sure she will need the stroller but I do know she tires easily and I want to have one for her in case she needs it. I'll look into the Macleran stroller since she will definitely be needing something with a weight limit around there or a bit more as she is 62 pounds right now. And yes something that is easy to fold on the busses is a definite MUST!

Our first trip my children were of similar age. My daughter was 7 and my son was 10 months. It was the 3 of us. I rented a stroller from Orlando Stroller rentals (ad on this page). I rented instead of bringing his stroller from home because his regular stroller was a bulky Graco and because I couldn't handle a stroller and his car seat in the airport. I had an ergo carrier for my son that I wore in the airport and for getting on and off the bus. My daughter walked most of the time; but there was a day when she rode in the stroller. She hadn't felt well the day before and rode in it the next day until she got her strength back. I wore my son in the carrier. Of course he was already used to the carrier.

I think she could have walked otherwise as long as we went at the right pace and took breaks. That's been the key in all of our trips. If you plan for them to share the stroller, I'd probably rent a Baby Jogger GT as it's a little bigger than the city mini. I plan to rent one for my son on our next trip

City Minis are FANTASTIC for one-handed folding, but the weight limit is only 50lbs. I believe it is 100lbs on the double. Honestly, your daughter would be able to fold a City Mini. My 6yo is rather proud that he can fold ours. :) As far as I know, a double folds the same way, but it would certainly weigh more which might make it difficult to manage with a carrier and another kiddo to keep track of on/off buses. If you have them in your area, a visit to BBB or BRU might be a good test.

I would take a decent single stroller, with nice storage underneath, and a canopy.

I'd take what I needed for the 1 year old and plan to accommodate the 7 year old's tiredness with the necessary number of breaks/rests.

I think one of the stroller rental places will rent a citi mini with a glider board. I have the citi mini double with a glider board, and my eight year old was trying to get on it yesterday. It is kinda a pain to walk behind it when it is down, but you can fold it up.

My 7 year old niece walked the parks last summer, no problem. I would be embarrassed to have a 7 year old in a stroller. If they tire easy, spend some time conditioning them. Go on walks, play tag, get some exercise. If they are in the parks are start to wear o it, take a break. Get a mickey bar and sit on a bench and talk about your day.

If your kid doesn't use a stroller in regular life, they don't need one for disneyworld

Our first trip my children were of similar age. My daughter was 7 and my son was 10 months. It was the 3 of us. I rented a stroller from Orlando Stroller rentals (ad on this page). I rented instead of bringing his stroller from home because his regular stroller was a bulky Graco and because I couldn't handle a stroller and his car seat in the airport. I had an ergo carrier for my son that I wore in the airport and for getting on and off the bus. My daughter walked most of the time; but there was a day when she rode in the stroller. She hadn't felt well the day before and rode in it the next day until she got her strength back. I wore my son in the carrier. Of course he was already used to the carrier.

I think she could have walked otherwise as long as we went at the right pace and took breaks. That's been the key in all of our trips. If you plan for them to share the stroller, I'd probably rent a Baby Jogger GT as it's a little bigger than the city mini. I plan to rent one for my son on our next trip

I think my daughter will be able to walk most of the time too but just like what happened with your daughter there were 2 days on our last trip where she wasn't feeling well and rode in the stroller all day both days so I definitely want to have somewhere for her to ride in case that happens during this trip too. I will most likely do what you have done and wear the baby in the carrier if she needs time in the stroller.

City Minis are FANTASTIC for one-handed folding, but the weight limit is only 50lbs. I believe it is 100lbs on the double. Honestly, your daughter would be able to fold a City Mini. My 6yo is rather proud that he can fold ours. :) As far as I know, a double folds the same way, but it would certainly weigh more which might make it difficult to manage with a carrier and another kiddo to keep track of on/off buses. If you have them in your area, a visit to BBB or BRU might be a good test.

That is good to know thanks!

My 7 year old niece walked the parks last summer, no problem. I would be embarrassed to have a 7 year old in a stroller. If they tire easy, spend some time conditioning them. Go on walks, play tag, get some exercise. If they are in the parks are start to wear o it, take a break. Get a mickey bar and sit on a bench and talk about your day.

If your kid doesn't use a stroller in regular life, they don't need one for disneyworld

That's wonderful for your niece. I'm sorry you feel that way about an older child in a stroller as many people will disagree with you when it comes to WDW as it is NOT the same as having them in a stroller in regular life. I have already stated I want something for her in case she needs it, so telling me that she doesn't need a stroller and that you would be embarrassed really is pointless. Thanks anyway

I think my daughter will be able to walk most of the time too but just like what happened with your daughter there were 2 days on our last trip where she wasn't feeling well and rode in the stroller all day both days so I definitely want to have somewhere for her to ride in case that happens during this trip too. I will most likely do what you have done and wear the baby in the carrier if she needs time in the stroller.

Yeah, we had already lost a day so her riding was the best thing. She was just 45lbs on that trip; so she was under the weight limit for the city mini, just had her legs bent. Heck around day 4 or 5 of the trip she'd ride in one now if I was willing to push her. But we are slow pace tourist since we go when it's hot. When it's cooler we are in the parks longer; but we don't usually get to go then. Have fun on your trip.

Long days at the parks can be difficult on even a 7 yr old. A double stroller can make great napping for a young one. Rent a double and have it delivered to the resort.

We just came back from our January trip. We had 4 kids ages 7, 5, 3, and 1. I rented the city mini double stroller from Orlando Strollers for 10 nights. Cost about $125 including insurance. It pushes like a dream, has a parent console, both seats recline fully and have individual sun shades, and folds easily for the buses. Love that stroller! Personally I wouldn't rent a park stroller especially for a 1 year old who will take naps in it most likely. They are hard plastic and the shade is not very big. Also, the cost for the stroller in the park is more than renting one from an offsite vendor that will deliver to your room. This way you have the stroller at your resort too. My 7 year old son used the stroller several times for a resting place as he's a fit kid but the walking was a lot. Hope that helps.

if she needs a rest go back to the hotel and go swimming or sit on a bench and have an ice cream a 7 year old should not be in a stroller unless they have a medical issue

if she needs a rest go back to the hotel and go swimming or sit on a bench and have an ice cream a 7 year old should not be in a stroller unless they have a medical issue

You've already made your opinion clear but this is HER child, her choice. Only she knows how her 7 year old will do walking around that much. No need to continue expressing your opinion.

No way would I rent or bring a double stroller if I was by myself. It would be extremely difficult to mange the stroller, a 1 yr old and 7 yr old.

Your 7yr old doesn't need a stroller. If she gets tired find a snack and get out of the sun or sit on a bench.

I would just bring an umbrella stroller. It will be the easiest thing for you to manage.

My dd hasn't used a stroller at Disney since she was 5. She only had it then because ds was 2. Ds hardly used it last September at newly 4. I think we only used it for Epcot. We won't be bringing a stroller anymore. :)

why are you so rude

I think it is pretty rude to insist that the way you and your family tours the park is the right way. And that people who use strollers longer than you do are doing something wrong. Some families are ok taking breaks, or going back to the resort. Some are not. Neither style of touring the parks is wrong, and you seem to be posting as if your way is the right way and everyone else is wrong.

a 7 year old should not be in a stroller make her walk and bring a single for the baby

I don't think todzwife is being rude at all. You've expressed the same opinion twice in the same thread.

I don't think todzwife is being rude at all. You've expressed the same opinion twice in the same thread.

Which is odd to begin with, on a thread asking for stroller recommendations. And not one asking if they should use a stroller or not.

For what it is worth, I would rent a double stroller in the parks. They are very easy to push. I would be careful if you decide to bring any umbrella stroller. Make sure you have one that is comfortable to push all day, and that the handles are the proper height. You don't want one that you have to hunch at all to push, as your back will be killing you at the end of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter