Stroller question for 60-lb 5 year old

TexasErin

Loves old Pluto cartoons
DVC Silver
I have a 5 1/2 year old son who is very tall for his age. He's not overweight, but is built like a bully to give you a mental image (and unfortunately can act like one towards his big sister at times, but that is another thread, LOL).
He is very flat-footed like me and his feet get tired very quickly. We went to his big sister's "field day" today and by 10 am he was complaining about his feet and legs.
We bought a cheap umbrella stroller on our way to WDW last year, and I guess its because he was probably too big for it even then, but it was all jacked up by our last day. We ended up leaving it by the trash our last day because the wheels weren't turning right and was not worth salvaging at that point.
I just can't decide if I should buy another stroller or rent one at the parks. We will be there for 8 days (our first and last day will be half-days at EPCOT but he may even need one those days.) I don't even know if I can buy one big enough for a 60-lb boy without spending more than I would spend renting.
What would you do?
Thanks,
Erin

I'd start off having him walk and then rent if/when needed. We did this last year. Our 5 yr old walked the first 4 days and then we rented a stroller for the last 4 days. This year he walked the entire week, although I did rent a stroller for one day when we went to P & PP since it was a long day/night. Have a fun trip!

P.S. My DD's name is Erin - great name! :cool1:

You can find them that go 55lbs so they might not give out as quickly. Graco Ipo, Maclaren Volo for example can be bought for under $100.

But a true stroller to hold over 60 lbs, you wont find one cheaper for renting.

I say rent a single.

Thank you both. We're weighing the pros and cons now of renting vs buying the Graco Ipo. DH is at Toys 'R' Us now and they don't have the Graco Ipo so we'd have to get the Maclaren so we would only save a tiny bit plus we'd have to load it in the car on our drive down and then deal with it on the busses. I think we will just play it by ear and rent one if/when he needs one.
Thanks!

And I agree.........Erin is a cool name...........:hippie:

Thank you both. We're weighing the pros and cons now of renting vs buying the Graco Ipo. DH is at Toys 'R' Us now and they don't have the Graco Ipo so we'd have to get the Maclaren so we would only save a tiny bit plus we'd have to load it in the car on our drive down and then deal with it on the busses. I think we will just play it by ear and rent one if/when he needs one.
Thanks!

And I agree.........Erin is a cool name...........:hippie:

Have you checked Ebay - I found a double unbrella stroller for our twins when they were 5 for $100 - much cheaper than renting even 2 years ago.

When my DS was 5 , he was at 55 lbs (of course he will be 7 next week and still 55 lbs) we had him walk. He did great. He was so excited to be a big strollerless boy. We took a break in the afternoon and he was good to go for the night.

Just a thought!:thumbsup2

Erin-do you know that the price of stroller rental went up to $31 per day? I always rent-but at this point I might have to buy one. My little girl is 5, but she's tiny and I don't know if I want her walking around--my boys got a bit bumped around last trip by other stroller users and crowds- and my older one is 12. So, that's something to consider. Also- I sent you a pm!! We are neighbors!!!

Fees:

$15.00 for single - $13.00 per day for Length of Stay rental

$31.00 for double - $27.00 per day for Length of Stay rental

When purchasing a Length of Stay rental, you show your receipt and can bypass the queue with little or no wait.

We just got back with my 6 year who I thought would never be able to make it walking at Disney. I is more of a lazy/computer/book/draw child. Doesn't like sports in the least bit. He did great for 4 days but we rented a stroller for 2 days in the middle to give him a break. Yes, the rentals are very expensive but they push like a dream. I could even push my 9 year old in it a it was very easy to push. We had a maclaren volo for the 2 year old and it was even easier to push than that. I can push the 6 year old in the volo (he is around 45 pounds) but he pushed so much easier in the rental. I think the singles are big enough. You may just wait to see how he does before renting. He may be having so much fun he may not realize how tired he is (at first)

I just sold my extra mac volo for $65 bucks. they hold up, hold more than the weight limit listed (sick 85 pound tall niece used it on a bumpy boardwalk one night with no problem), they are so worth it and no problem at all on/off buses. and then you can resell or pass it along. Taking a tired 5 year old out of stroller to get to from resort/buses is not my idea of fun.

My 3 and 5 year olds only use their strollers at Disney primarily but they are so worth it.

check your local craigslist and closeby surrounding areas.

jmo. have a great trip!

;)
I am renting a City Mini Double from www.orlandostrollerrentals.com and I tested one out with my two 50 pounders and it was easy to move them around. You can rent a single for the week for only $70. This is a $425 stroller.:banana:

How smart of you to test first! :thumbsup2 Question for you. was there alot of room for the kids? We are thinking about renting from orlandostrollers (the double) but I was just worried the kids would be all smashed up in there. They will be 4 years old. Thanks!! ;)

I've been thinking about this a bit as well. My ds (5) is probably about 45 lbs. and hates walking. Seriously...the kid has a ton of energy, but hates to walk for a long period of time. My three year old will walk more than he will. We have a double Mac that worked great last year, but I think it will get pretty heavy if he's sitting a lot.

We went to the zoo the other day and told him that he just has to suck it up! :lmao: He practiced walking, and he did a lot better than I thought he would. He whined a lot at first, but got used to it by the end of the day. Maybe you could have him "practice" before you go so that your stroller doesn't get so much wear and tear?

Good luck!

;)

How smart of you to test first! :thumbsup2 Question for you. was there alot of room for the kids? We are thinking about renting from orlandostrollers (the double) but I was just worried the kids would be all smashed up in there. They will be 4 years old. Thanks!! ;)

Just booked one yesterday for our stay in Dec (23-2). I have DD3princess: & DS5pirate: and expect long days without returning to the room. Returning the one (sit n stand) I had ordered for the trip!!! Amazingly Shannon still have availability for over Christmas!!!

I believe that the single strollers at Orlandostrollers are rated for only 50 lbs?!?! So you may want to double check on weight restrictions and options of strollers.:confused3

I just can't decide if I should buy another stroller or rent one at the parks. We will be there for 8 days (our first and last day will be half-days at EPCOT but he may even need one those days.) I don't even know if I can buy one big enough for a 60-lb boy without spending more than I would spend renting.

Hi Erin,

You may find renting a better option than buying. If you do rent at the parks, definitely go for the length of stay option to try to reduce the price a little. If you rent from off site, orlandostrollerrentals.com does have a special needs stroller (looks like an oversize jog stroller) that is rated for up to 100 lbs. I've never rented from them, but other folks do have good things to say about them. :)

I have a 4 year old (but tall for her age, already about 50 pounds) and a 2 year old. Our plan was to either 1) buy a Maclaren Twin Triumph for both of them to share (although our 4 year old will walk mostly), or 2) buy a Maclaren Volo for our DD4 and let DS2 use a cheapish umbrella stroller.

Which plan do you think is better? Two separate strollers, or the foldable double stroller?

Alternatively, we could bring our double jogging stroller, but it is HUGE and hard to maneuver around the parks.

If he's got a problem with his feet, have you looked at special shoes or inserts that can address the problem? Even if you can find a stroller for him this time, it sounds like this problem may persist well past your trip.

I have a 4 year old (but tall for her age, already about 50 pounds) and a 2 year old. Our plan was to either 1) buy a Maclaren Twin Triumph for both of them to share (although our 4 year old will walk mostly), or 2) buy a Maclaren Volo for our DD4 and let DS2 use a cheapish umbrella stroller.

Which plan do you think is better? Two separate strollers, or the foldable double stroller?

Alternatively, we could bring our double jogging stroller, but it is HUGE and hard to maneuver around the parks.

I'm pretty much in the same spot - DD4 and DD20months - last year (DD3 and DD8months), I brought both strollers (Mac Quest Single and Mac Twin Triumph). Used the twin most of the time. Not sure what to do this year - flying with 2 is a huge pain - doable, but a pain - we just checked the single and gate checked the double.

DD4 would prefer to walk and would be fine from a stamina perspective for most of the day, but I feel safer with her in a stroller in crowds. If it was just her (no baby DD), I'd probably skip the stroller altogether - but with my attention split between the 2, I just feel safer with them both buckled in a stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter