• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller for 7 year old?

We brought our City Elite stroller with us on our last trip. It was primarily for my younger child, who was 23 months old at the time, but also for my older child, who was age 7 at the time, to ride in if she simply got tired. Ours is a single stroller, but we planned to either put our little one on the big one's lap, or just carry him.
It turned out, she sat in it to have a break from the crowds a few times, but we never ended up needing to push her around in it.

Having said all that, I'm glad we had the stroller available to her, even if she didn't ride in it. (We could have taken the smaller umbrella stroller for our little one, but brought the big one so she could use it too.) It gave me peace of mind to know she would have it available if she needed it.

The same could be said from the other side. Seeing people trying to drag over-tired and over-stimulated children around (instead of using a stroller) others may say "Better you than me". That is, as long as they are not screaming and crying and ruining the show for others.:ssst:

If children are over stimulated/tired and/or acting up it probably means it's time for their caretakers to reevaluate their park style w/ or w/o a stroller.
Not a judgement per se yet certainly an observation.

We loved our stroller for years. We are not super active people and my kids are complainers :) I say that to say when we went last time with an 11 month old, a newly 6 year old and 9 year old the baby was the only one who used the stroller. Hubbies fitbit logged us over 10 miles each day and there were some complaints at the end of the day of tired feet but the kids did excellent without it. 6 was the age when my oldest no longer needed it either. When he was 5 we had a sit and stand stroller for him and the younger one. If it's there they will of course use it but I feel most can manage by that age . Just wear comfy shoes. For my kids, that is crocs with low thin socks .

The Baby Jogger City Mini GT goes to 65lbs and you can I rent one from an offsite stroller rental company. I still use one for my 6 year old (he was a micropreemie and still doesn’t have a lot of walking stamina) and those air filled tires make all of the difference in the world when pushing a larger child.

Edited to say city mini gt

Last edited:
I don't get this at all - why don't they just take a break?

It could be any number of reasons. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are they are heading to take a break, but Disney is big, they are in the middle of the park and now have to try to get back to the hotel room. They stayed offsite and have limited time at Disney and are hoping that their kids will in the end push through after a few moments of being tired and cranky, of which you happen to see the tired and cranky portion of the trip. I’m sure there are other reasons. Maybe they are parents that don’t normally do theme parks and they underestimated how difficult it would be for their family. It may even be a parent that read responses critizing people for using a stroller for their 6 year old and so they decide to forgo the stroller only the realize by dinner that if they want to stay for fireworks on their only day at the MK that they better go rent something now. Or maybe it’s a family that brought their stroller that their 6 year old refuses to use and now their dragging this extra thing all over Disney and it’s wearing on them... :)

Really, what an outside observer sees is just a very small portion of what is going on. That overtired frustrated family may have more going on then you realize, or may just actually need a break and could possibly be trying to get to that break.

I know when I see these situations I try to keep in mind that I don’t know everything that’s going on, and I try to assume the best (the parents are trying and it’s just not working for whatever reason). Now I know I don’t always do this but it is something try to remember...

We just got back Feb 5 on a week long first trip. We have a 4 year old and 8 year old. We never had an issue not using a stroller. Truthfully I didn't find the walking to be a problem it was more the standing in lines. ( no strollers are allowed in the lines) Our girls never complained but we would take a break and have a snack whenever we were feeling tired.

Our last trip included a 7 year old. Instead of listening to my gut, I listened to the dis, and we didn't bring or rent a stroller. We had a miserable time.

I like the advice of taking them back to the room if they refuse to walk or get whiny. Well that is exactly what my 7yo wanted - to go back to the comfortable room out of the heat and watch cartoons all day. Starting 5 minutes after we entered the park. Sorry, for my 400, we are going to get more than 5 minutes of park time. A stroller really would have helped. Oh well, at least no one looked at us disapprovingly for letting a 7yo ride in a stroller.

Only you know your kid. Do what you think will work best for you.

Our last trip included a 7 year old. Instead of listening to my gut, I listened to the dis, and we didn't bring or rent a stroller. We had a miserable time.

I like the advice of taking them back to the room if they refuse to walk or get whiny. Well that is exactly what my 7yo wanted - to go back to the comfortable room out of the heat and watch cartoons all day. Starting 5 minutes after we entered the park. Sorry, for my 400, we are going to get more than 5 minutes of park time. A stroller really would have helped. Oh well, at least no one looked at us disapprovingly for letting a 7yo ride in a stroller.

Only you know your kid. Do what you think will work best for you.
Which points out a different issue that has nothing to do with the child's ability to walk. At least in my opinion.

I have a 6 year old daughter and I always bring our jogging stroller. We have annual passes and go frequently and don't feel rushed.

Just because you use a stroller doesnt mean you or your kid are lazy or not fit or that you are some kind of bad parent who will be given derisive looks from all the parents who dont need a stroller... if you are, who cares!

Disney is hot, crowded and expensive pretty much always, and time is limited for most of us on vacation. I love it when people say “just go back to your room and take a break”.....

I would not take a chance on fatigue from walking 10 miles a day taking away from my DD’s memories of our time spent together.

If you think you might use one, bring it!

We saw tons of older children in strollers last week in the parks and also when we were there in October. I can't imagine pushing my 6 or 8 yr old around the parks. My kids are troopers though and have been going to Disney regularly for years now. The last trip with strollers was when my son was 3 and my daughter was 5. My son started walking WDW at 4 years old and we never had an issue. Just make sure they have good comfortable shoes and check their feet for blisters nightly. We are also fans of midday breaks and usually go back to the room to nap or swim 3-6pm daily.

As others have said, you know your child better than anyone here- if you feel a stroller is needed then its better safe than sorry. I would look into renting at the park to avoid having to tote around a stroller everywhere when you may not even need it.

We used strollers for our kids until they were 8, and I wouldn't change a thing. We're a very physically fit family, but WDW is huge and our trips were long, so it worked for us. As for what stroller, it was just a basic double wide, nothing fancy.
We have a 3yo and a 7yo and the 7yo asked us to get a double. Most of the time, she walked, but she knows her limitations. She was able to stay out later (and watch fireworks, which she loves) by taking breaks in the stroller earlier. The 3 yo still sometimes naps, so that was a no brainer - and sometimes they like riding next to each other, sharing a snack and chatting. As the PPs have said, "why don't you just take a break if the kids are too tired to walk?" and my answer is, they are, in the stroller. Plus I work off more calories pushing the stroller than just walking by myself.

if you feel a stroller is needed then its better safe than sorry.

This is how we look at it. We definitely wean off the stroller each trip. For example, use it to cross the parks, and then leave it in a central location while we do a bunch of rides/shows in the same area, rinse and repeat.

Hi. Just to be clear my post was looking for recommendations for a stroller brand for a 7 year old so to those of you who gave recommendations thank you!! I’ll look into those brands.

I never questioned bringing one and neither should anyone else if you think it makes the most sense for you and your family.

Thanks !!

Last edited:
Which points out a different issue that has nothing to do with the child's ability to walk. At least in my opinion.

You're totally right ... kiddo has a great ability to walk and hike - quite far in fact. Trip to Iceland a few months after the Disney trip in question ... no problem running straight up a steep hill to a volcanic crater, and lengthy hikes to waterfalls. Kids camping trip ... no problem leading the pack to the top of the mountain trail. The difference? It not being miserably hot, his ankles not hurting (we discovered his high arches necessitate a much better foot support than we had been giving him), not having to weave our way through crowds of people, and finally, perhaps the magic of Disney was a bit worn off for him.

But bottom line, regardless of if it's ability, irritability, or just desire to be a little more comfortable, if you need a stroller for older kid, get one! We would have all had a much better time!

Hi. Just to be clear my post was looking for recommendations for a stroller brand for a 7 year old so to those of you who gave recommendations thank you!! I’ll look into those brands.

I never questioned bringing one and neither should anyone else if you think it makes the most sense for you and your family.

Thanks !!

We rent a City Mini GT!

You do realize how much walking a person does on average at WDW per day, right? If you walk more than that per day, that's great, but highly uncommon.

It is not walking continuously. You walk for a while, sit, walk, stand, sit, etc. And if you are getting tired, then sit down and rest. No one is forcing a person to be on their feet constantly. Millions of people do this every year and are just fine. So, as I said, if you have not physical issues, walking without any kind of aid is not a problem. Kid's especially are build with more energy and stamina. It is usually the adults that start to tire out first. We have been going to WDW for over 25 years, so I know exactly how much walking there is. We started going before we had kids, then started taking them when they were 1&2 years old and every single year since. My oldest is not graduating HS. Once they hit 5, no more stroller for our trips that were 9-10 nights. My kids are not super athletes with ground breaking stamina, they are just like everyone else. If you have a child that is too tired to walk after a couple of days in the park then you need to look into what they are eating. Food is energy and if they are not getting decent food, then they will not have the energy and stamina to go on all day. Stop feeding kids mac and cheese and chicken nuggets and put some decent food in them and you will see a huge difference.

It is not walking continuously. You walk for a while, sit, walk, stand, sit, etc. And if you are getting tired, then sit down and rest. No one is forcing a person to be on their feet constantly. Millions of people do this every year and are just fine. So, as I said, if you have not physical issues, walking without any kind of aid is not a problem. Kid's especially are build with more energy and stamina. It is usually the adults that start to tire out first. We have been going to WDW for over 25 years, so I know exactly how much walking there is. We started going before we had kids, then started taking them when they were 1&2 years old and every single year since. My oldest is not graduating HS. Once they hit 5, no more stroller for our trips that were 9-10 nights. My kids are not super athletes with ground breaking stamina, they are just like everyone else. If you have a child that is too tired to walk after a couple of days in the park then you need to look into what they are eating. Food is energy and if they are not getting decent food, then they will not have the energy and stamina to go on all day. Stop feeding kids mac and cheese and chicken nuggets and put some decent food in them and you will see a huge difference.

How about stop being so judgmental and let each parent decide what works best for their own kids? I'm glad that for you once the kids hit 5 they were out of a stroller. That is your call for your children. A parent choosing to use one past that age doesn't make them a bad parent (which is what the above posts seems to imply).

Also you don't take into consideration that many people have a wide variety of ages along on their trips. Not everyone with a child along is mom and dad on a trip. Extended families do travel together, and making them all stop when the littlest is tired seems a bit extreme to me, and a waste of time. If a family decides to rent a stroller to keep the vacation clicking along, that doesn't make them bad parents. It means they made a different choice from the one you would make. That doesn't mean they only feed their kids crap food, and are lousy parents.

How about stop being so judgmental and let each parent decide what works best for their own kids? I'm glad that for you once the kids hit 5 they were out of a stroller. That is your call for your children. A parent choosing to use one past that age doesn't make them a bad parent (which is what the above posts seems to imply).

Also you don't take into consideration that many people have a wide variety of ages along on their trips. Not everyone with a child along is mom and dad on a trip. Extended families do travel together, and making them all stop when the littlest is tired seems a bit extreme to me, and a waste of time. If a family decides to rent a stroller to keep the vacation clicking along, that doesn't make them bad parents. It means they made a different choice from the one you would make. That doesn't mean they only feed their kids crap food, and are lousy parents.

Pushing your child to the extreme that they are too tired to walk at the end of the night IS bad. Why would anyone do that? Strollers are made for those of a certain age for a reason. And why would you feel that the smallest one in your family is inconveniencing the rest of the family and "wasting their time". Sitting down for 10 minutes every couple of hours is hardly a waste of a vacation. And if I am travelling with extended family that does not want to let my young child rest her legs then they can either go on ahead or it would be the last vacation I took with them. My child is my number one priority, not getting the most out of my dollar, or making sure we get to ride every single ride, or making it to a FP. All of those things are inconsequential to making sure that we all, including my young kids, are having a good time together. If they want to stop and watch the ducks for 20 minutes, that is what we will do because in a few years after they have grown up and left the house(which is where we are almost now) you will have plenty of time to go and ride the big rides, and power walk through the whole park if you want. At 6,7,8 years old, walking next to them and having conversations is an amazing parental moment. They are so open at that age and it gave us great joy to do that before they got to the tween/teen years. You don't want to miss that because they are spending their time in a stroller. Take the advice or don't, but I can give my opinion just like everyone else. I don't have to always agree with everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter