Stroller as a wheelchair for preschooler with delay?

apollodi

Mouseketeer
Hello, I am getting reading to take my DD to WDW for her 3rd birthday in early May. She has gross motor delays that stem from low muscle tone and balance issues (the balance issues come from hearing loss). She can walk, but she has difficulty navigating uphill, downhill, and stairs, and she tires much more easily than a typical almost-3-year-old would. Her evaluation last month put her gross motor skills at those of a typical 20-month-old.

Is this a situation where it would be appropriate to ask for a stroller as a wheelchair tag? If so, what information will they ask for? She does not use a wheelchair at home, but I am concerned about waiting in lines and navigating some of the attractions in Epcot. Or, are stroller as a wheelchair tags intended for children with more severe mobility issues, and DH and I should take turns carrying her?

Hello, I am getting reading to take my DD to WDW for her 3rd birthday in early May. She has gross motor delays that stem from low muscle tone and balance issues (the balance issues come from hearing loss). She can walk, but she has difficulty navigating uphill, downhill, and stairs, and she tires much more easily than a typical almost-3-year-old would. Her evaluation last month put her gross motor skills at those of a typical 20-month-old.

Is this a situation where it would be appropriate to ask for a stroller as a wheelchair tag? If so, what information will they ask for? She does not use a wheelchair at home, but I am concerned about waiting in lines and navigating some of the attractions in Epcot. Or, are stroller as a wheelchair tags intended for children with more severe mobility issues, and DH and I should take turns carrying her?
DAS
this would be one of reasons for the tag. I have used with young child because I needed it more that child and could not carry child. so there are many reasons for this tag. think you are making this tag more like the DAS for help with waiting in lines than it is

This is exactly the sort of thing the stroller as wheelchair tag is good for. Just go to guest relations and request the tag. They have never questioned us why we need the tag but if they do just tell them what you wrote here. No documentation required. Just a heads up, the tag will allow you to take stroller into lines and attractions, but she will not be able to stay in the stroller on the bus and in restaurants they will likely ask you to take her out of the stroller if you can.

Thank you all! Restaurants and the bus will not be an issue, it's only the lines and attractions that I was worried about. I will see how she does when we get there and will go to guest relations if we have trouble. I appreciate all of the help!

Thank you all! Restaurants and the bus will not be an issue, it's only the lines and attractions that I was worried about. I will see how she does when we get there and will go to guest relations if we have trouble. I appreciate all of the help!
May I suggest going in and getting the tag when you get there, it only take a couple of minutes, but will save a lot of time later in the day to avoid having to go all the way back up to guest relations. Just because the tag is on the stroller doesn't mean you have to use it, but it at least gives the option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter