Strange omission from the Wish?

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
So, clearly the Wish is very Princess-themed.

My favorite Disney animated movie, and favorite princess is Cinderella, so as you can imagine, I am thrilled to pieces with the Wish's theming.

Many of the princesses are represented in the stateroom theming. Technically, Moana isn't a princess, which makes other omissions all the more strange, but....I'm not trying to pick a fight over Moana. I like Moana very much. But, she isn't a princess.

I digress.

Some princesses are represented more than others- Princess and the Frog is in the staterooms and has its own (amazing and gorgeous) lounge area. Frozen is in the staterooms, kids clubs, and has its own freaking restaurant haha. Beauty and the Beast has pretty much the entire adult dining wing as its area.

This makes it all the more odd to me that for one, we haven't seen much of Jasmine. Now to be fair, Aladdin is the protagonist of that movie. Also, the big showtime spectacular is supposed to be Aladdin. So...I can give them a pass on that.

But, the huge, glaring omission to me is Snow White. The original princess. The one that started it all. Yes, I have seen some artwork and little touches here and there. But, no major areas- no lounges, no staterooms, no kids club area, no restaurants...I don't believe it is one of the films featured at Marceline Market.

The omission feels very intentional. Can anyone imagine why? I don't know if they think that Snow White is too dated, and won't connect to the younger generation....I just don't know. But again, on a princess-themed cruise ship, to leave out the first princess feels like...it wasn't an accident.

Thoughts?

She is rarely a live character on any of the ships, so really nothing new.
She was out several times when we were on the Wonder in early June...but I just figured there was a set of princess for each ship with some overlap. For example, I've never seen Rapunzel beside this recent cruise either.

True, but I mean out for the Character meet and greets, she's hard to find.
She was out often for those. At least three times on our 5 night. Im not trying to contradict you, we just got back today from our cruise. I just remember thinking it was odd to see her so much. Maybe its something newer.

On the most recent Magic Snow White was one of the very few princesses in person. Personally I cannot stand Snow White so this is fine by me.
Her voice is just ouch on my ears! I remember wincing when she started singing during the show!

My 3yo daughter is princess obsessed but doesnt like snow white at all. I think it's too dated for her. Maybe they're thinking about the littles like OP said???

There are 2 more new ships coming. I would venture to guess perhaps - as the Wish is themed overall to Cinderella - perhaps one of the next ships will be themed overall to Snow White.

This. Maybe she will be the central theme of one of the next ships.

MJ

She’s in Believe on the Dream…or maybe it was the Golden Mickeys?
Golden Mickey's on both the Wonder and Dream. They used to pull kids out of the audience to dress them as the dwarves but they don't do that part anymore. Just Snow and Dopey walk across the stage at the end of her skit.

MJ

Merida and Pocahontas got the shaft as well; likely it comes down to which franchises are aging the best and sells the most merchandise... Snow White was 14 which has always raised brows, Pocahontas and Aladdin have had PR issues in the past, and Brave is technically Pixar. Could be all there is to it.

There’s no Mulan either.

Jasmine is my fave so I’m really disappointed that she isn’t represented on the Wish at all.

They seem to have picked all the ‘popular’ princesses to represent. Snow White is not one of those either (and personally other than the movie being amazing for 1937, I find it a boring movie.)

Edit: I just remembered that Aladdin is one of the shows on the Wish which makes it even weirder that there is NO Jasmine rooms!

Merida and Pocahontas got the shaft as well; likely it comes down to which franchises are aging the best and sells the most merchandise... Snow White was 14 which has always raised brows, Pocahontas and Aladdin have had PR issues in the past, and Brave is technically Pixar. Could be all there is to it.

True. I thought of that. BUT.

Then, I also thought of how Artist Point is one of the most popular meals on property. So, I think that alone should prove the economic value of a Snow White.

As for Merida and Pocahontas, okay. But, I am thinking more of the core princesses. Aurora is a core princess, but often forgotten, so I was surprised (pleasantly) to see her as a theme.

There’s no Mulan either.

Jasmine is my fave so I’m really disappointed that she isn’t represented on the Wish at all.

They seem to have picked all the ‘popular’ princesses to represent. Snow White is not one of those either (and personally other than the movie being amazing for 1937, I find it a boring movie.)

Edit: I just remembered that Aladdin is one of the shows on the Wish which makes it even weirder that there is NO Jasmine rooms!

Yes, but Mulan is not a princess. Yes, I know she is a princess, Disney TM. But...for the purposes of the theming of the ship...it seems like the focused on the more traditional princesses- the ones that were princesses by birth or marriage. Which I love by the way. *Other than Moana.

When you look at the official Disney Princess brand where Merida is the last addition to, Mulan is part of it. So is Pocahontas. The term 'princess' in the brand is not used as a title. Belle didnt get married to the prince on screen, till 2017. So did she have a princess title? It is more about a feminine lead who has to overcome hardships.

Merida has joined the British Isles cruises, according to old navigators.

But yeah, I have said it before, it is a shame that Disney only sticks to the same characters on every ship. Let them rotate, have 1 or 2 classic princesses, 1 or 2 from Renaissance and 1 or 2 from the new era. You can change it per season.

I guess that at a certain point a survey was done and Disney sticks to the result, no matter if it is outdated. Similar to cruise gifts. At a certain point someone said 'I like a slingbag' and they will rather die than change it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter