Storybook Dining - Picky Older Kid

huckabear

Mouseketeer
We have reservations at Storybook Dining next week because it was DD's choice since she loves Snow White - she is 10 but a bit picky with food. Looking at the "adult" menu though, I'm not sure what she would eat. We aren't on the dining plan, will they let her choose something off the kid's menu if she's over 9? (She's 10 but is constantly mistaken for younger.)

We have reservations at Storybook Dining next week because it was DD's choice since she loves Snow White - she is 10 but a bit picky with food. Looking at the "adult" menu though, I'm not sure what she would eat. We aren't on the dining plan, will they let her choose something off the kid's menu if she's over 9? (She's 10 but is constantly mistaken for younger.)
I really don't think you'll have any trouble at all since you're paying cash. Just ask for a kids meal for her. Easy peasy. I've done that with my DS many times, never had an issue. I've never had anyone ask how old my DS was or if he was 9 and under.

I really don't think you'll have any trouble at all since you're paying cash. Just ask for a kids meal for her. Easy peasy. I've done that with my DS many times, never had an issue. I've never had anyone ask how old my DS was or if he was 9 and under.

That is true at a la carte, but Artist Point is a prix-fixe, and Disney prix-fixe have always been very inflexible on age. You may still order an "adult" sized portion of a kids meal (e.g., chicken tenders/mac n cheese) but you will still pay the adult price and not the kid price.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they did ask for age (assuming they don't already have that info from a reservation on MDE)--when my DS was 2 we were asked many times if he was 3-or-older at buffets and prix-fixe restaurants because they do charge for 3 and older--so it seems very possible they would ask for someone who looked to be 10.

That is true at a la carte, but Artist Point is a prix-fixe, and Disney prix-fixe have always been very inflexible on age. You may still order an "adult" sized portion of a kids meal (e.g., chicken tenders/mac n cheese) but you will still pay the adult price and not the kid price.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they did ask for age (assuming they don't already have that info from a reservation on MDE)--when my DS was 2 we were asked many times if he was 3-or-older at buffets and prix-fixe restaurants because they do charge for 3 and older--so it seems very possible they would ask for someone who looked to be 10.

I agree. In many TS restaurants it would not be an issue. In this one, I think it is a problem. I would plan on paying the adult price and ask for a children's meal in adult proportions.

I'm sure that she can get something from the kids menu if nothing on the adult menu appeals to her. Some adults even do that. Just speak with the server. You may have to pay more but I don't think it will be an issue getting it.

oh shoot. I sound like a newbie. Totally forgot that its a prix-fixe!

Thanks all! I have no problem paying the adult price, I just want to make sure there is something she will actually eat!!

We ate there today and the waitress told us you can get stuff changed from what is on the menu - like different sides or things left off (sauce etc). They brought my teen the kids app and she loved it. She normally loves shrimp but tasted that and gagged. She didn’t like the aioli on it. The waitress went and brought her plain shrimp without us asking (I don’t eat shrimp). She also brought us both servings of the “adult” apps even though my daughter had the kid one. She ended up loving the mushroom soup (and doesn’t like mushrooms lol). I got regular mashed potatoes instead of horseradish ones. The waitress said they often modify things for people and that it is not a problem at all.

We ate there today and the waitress told us you can get stuff changed from what is on the menu - like different sides or things left off (sauce etc). They brought my teen the kids app and she loved it. She normally loves shrimp but tasted that and gagged. She didn’t like the aioli on it. The waitress went and brought her plain shrimp without us asking (I don’t eat shrimp). She also brought us both servings of the “adult” apps even though my daughter had the kid one. She ended up loving the mushroom soup (and doesn’t like mushrooms lol). I got regular mashed potatoes instead of horseradish ones. The waitress said they often modify things for people and that it is not a problem at all.
This is awesome to know! Thank you! DH and I are foodies so things on the menu look fine to us. DS will probably be fine, but the 10 year old DD is the picky one. I really appreciate your extra info!

This is awesome to know! Thank you! DH and I are foodies so things on the menu look fine to us. DS will probably be fine, but the 10 year old DD is the picky one. I really appreciate your extra info!

The waitress said they wanted everyone to be happy. My teen was delighted with the kids app lol.

I dont eat shrimp or mushrooms....hoping they will bring me kids app🤞my 14 yr old is hoping for adult size of kids meal

I am taking my daughter for her birthday dinner. I am hopping the get the kids app for the both of us. Right now I have dining for 2, but now I will have at least 1 of my 2 sons with me. I keep checking 2-3 times a day for a table for 4 but to no avail. I don’t want to show up with all 3 or 4 of us and have them say no... any suggestions other than what I am doing?

My kid is pretty picky but he does like red meat - I was able to get him the prime rib with a side of fries and nothing else (he was also 10). They also offered chicken tenders (off menu at the time but available). If you're paying that kind of price they will basically bring you any main and any side you want from anywhere on the menu. I also swapped sides for myself and so did someone else in the party. They were super accommodating and this was when they were still fairly new and I had gotten intel that they would not be. We asked and they were.

My kid is pretty picky but he does like red meat - I was able to get him the prime rib with a side of fries and nothing else (he was also 10). They also offered chicken tenders (off menu at the time but available). If you're paying that kind of price they will basically bring you any main and any side you want from anywhere on the menu. I also swapped sides for myself and so did someone else in the party. They were super accommodating and this was when they were still fairly new and I had gotten intel that they would not be. We asked and they were.

I went the first week and your assumption that there would be no subs was spot on at that time. I asked to swap out the carrots and was told no. Turned out I liked them, but I would have been SOL if I did not. I believe they needed to be more flexible.

I just went for my mothers birthday with my Disney adult kid. She got a larger portion of kids meals and paid the adult price. The server brought out an extra portion of apps and desserts for her to try though

I went the first week and your assumption that there would be no subs was spot on at that time. I asked to swap out the carrots and was told no. Turned out I liked them, but I would have been SOL if I did not. I believe they needed to be more flexible.
It's best to be prepared for the worst! But now that they've been open a while they are operating with typical Disney flexibility!

We were there about 2 weeks ago and they were SUPER flexible. DH swapped out sides and asked for certain sauces left off. DS (10) wouldn't eat any of the adult items, so they let him order off the kids menu and he just got an adult sized portion of the chicken strips. They also brought out both kids and adult apps for him to try. We're not a foodie family, full of picky eaters, and it ended up being one of our favorite meals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter