Stop and Smell the Roses…But Watch Out for the Bees! July '12 It's a Wrap Folks! 2.23

Saturday, July 7, 2012Well, let’s get back to departure day! It is 4am and we are loading the car trunk in the dark (well by the light of the carport) when guess who pulls up?! A policeman! He was just checking to be sure that the loading of the car was legit, wished us a happy and safe vacation and went on his way! This made us feel very safe to know that we are being watched! At least if the bad guys came hopefully the police would be there….I hope anyway!! :rolleyes:
I love this Tinks! Only in Mississippi, right? Yes fellow DISboarders...this really happens in our State!

Somewhere around Laurel, MS, the sun begins to rise….

As we got to Waynesville, MS
I see how it is...I called you on not stopping in to say hello when you went to the coast so now you go around me! :lmao:

We ride and ride and ride and then we finally are going through the toll booths! Our hotel for the night was in Kissimmee and had I known that I would take $9 :scared1: to go through the tolls I would have rented a horse and buggy!! Tolls are ridiculous!! :sad2: I’ll avoid that soap box though….
Hmmmm...this diatribe sounds awfully familiar...can't help but admire a person with my own malice to toll booths! :thumbsup2

Great start Tinks...looking forward to more!

I don't know what it is but I love going through the tunnel in Mobile anytime we go to Florida. It's just so fun! :laughing:

The hotel for the night looks very nice! :thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear about the 1st ADR of the trip.

I know what you mean about that tunnel!! I have gone through it my whoel life and I still find myself trying to see if I can hold my breath through the entire length! :rotfl:

That hotel is really nice and in a decent area. It was a good price too....around $70 for the night which helped us meet our budget better!

The 1st ADR review should be coming soon! I am ready to get the real part of Disney going!! :goodvibes

Yay! You're almost there!!

My GPS takes it really personally when I choose a route different from the one he chooses. I call him Richard because I can give him an inappropriate nickname when he makes me mad :lmao:

Of course you got your way! Keith may not love Disney, but he's not stupid! :thumbsup2

My GPS is a female so we named her Lola....not sure why, it just popped out one day: "I know where I am going LOLA!!" :lmao: The name stuck! My GPS gets pretty offended too when I don't listen to her!

I think Keith is beginning to catch on! Plus my reasons for a nap prior to dinner made huge strides in him seeing it MY way!! ;)

Tagging along on your journey!! Coming from central TX, getting to the tunnel is a great feeling!!

I am glad you showed a picture of the military tickets! Our Sept. trip just took a big change today, when we decided to enroll my older grandson, (7), in a YES class and bought 8 day YES hoppers, instead of 4 day military tickets.

Looking forward to more!

:welcome: I am so glad you are coming along for the ride! That picture turned out to be my "bad" one once I looked at it but you definitely got the idea of what they looked like! Almost all of those pictures were taken with my phone and not my regular camera.

I have heard great things about the YES program! That should be a great experience! I just love going through the tunnel. It some how really makes me feel like my vacation has really begun!

I love this Tinks! Only in Mississippi, right? Yes fellow DISboarders...this really happens in our State!

Isn't it great!? He came by once (we live at the end of a cul-de-sac) and turned in the circle. Then a few minutes later he came back...my thought was "Oh no what is going on....I am trying to get to Disney people!!!"

I see how it is...I called you on not stopping in to say hello when you went to the coast so now you go around me! :lmao:

:rotfl: That was funny! The change was Keith's decision so I can claim innocence on ths one!!

Hmmmm...this diatribe sounds awfully familiar...can't help but admire a person with my own malice to toll booths! :thumbsup2

Great start Tinks...looking forward to more!

I know!!! The whole time we kept handing over more and more money I kept thinking about your thoughts! And hen I wrote that I knew you would catch on! They keep talking about making the roads through Jackson toll (mainly because everyone is smart and leaving so no tax base to fix the roads) but for me that would mean a daily dose of tolls!! :scared1::sad::furious:

Yay! You left on time! I think I know the "different" route that you took through part of Mississippi. We have friends who went that way and said that it was a better route. But, we are stuck in a rut kinda family and stick with what we know and go the route that ya'll avoided this time.

So, did you honk the horn in the tunnel? You know you gotta honk the horn right?

We don't like the toll roads and avoid them at all costs. The only reason we took the toll this trip was because we were on our way to Port Canaveral and it couldn't be avoided.

Yay! You left on time! I think I know the "different" route that you took through part of Mississippi. We have friends who went that way and said that it was a better route. But, we are stuck in a rut kinda family and stick with what we know and go the route that ya'll avoided this time.

So, did you honk the horn in the tunnel? You know you gotta honk the horn right?

We don't like the toll roads and avoid them at all costs. The only reason we took the toll this trip was because we were on our way to Port Canaveral and it couldn't be avoided.

Of course we honked!! It's bad luck not to...right!?!?!

We are usually stuck in the rut kind of family too. I was surprised Keith began looking into the different route so intently and it was a last minute decision when we got to the exit!

Those tolls are terrible. We have never been where it cost us so much so I am wondering if the tolls went up or if it was the route to Kissimmee. Next time I plan to map things out better!!

Sorry I have disappeared....hope to update soon!!!

Great start! It's always a good sign when you actually leave on time. Going through the tunnel for you is the same way I feel when we get south of Indianapolis :car:(although we haven't driven since 2008!) Isn't it funny how often the hotels around Orlando change their name? Glad you didn't notice any big differences negatively at least! Can't wait to hear about your dinner at BC. We did the character breakfast there in 2011 (we were staying there) and LOVED it!!

Subscribed and joining in! We are staying at POFQ in just over two months, so I am excited to hear more!

Great start! It's always a good sign when you actually leave on time. Going through the tunnel for you is the same way I feel when we get south of Indianapolis :car:(although we haven't driven since 2008!) Isn't it funny how often the hotels around Orlando change their name? Glad you didn't notice any big differences negatively at least! Can't wait to hear about your dinner at BC. We did the character breakfast there in 2011 (we were staying there) and LOVED it!!

When I am on road trips, I have found having those "markers" makes things so much better at least while going! When I am coming home we tend to say "This time last week we were...."!

These two hotels are both Choice Hotels too so it does amaze me why they either switch owners hands or simply change their names so much!

Hopefully you will hear my thughts very soon....I hope to post tonight!! :goodvibes

Subscribed and joining in! We are staying at POFQ in just over two months, so I am excited to hear more!

:welcome: I am so glad you are joining in!!! Is this your first stay at POFQ? We love it there! I have a bizillion pictures so be prepared! :)

Subscribed and joining in.

:welcome: So glad you are joining in!

Let's play a "what if" game!!

Let's say you have 5 dining credits and 4 are taken (Hoop Dee Doo, Biergarten, and San Angel Inn) and the 5th was to be Ohana but the times are ridiculously late.....Last meal of your trip....Important factors are atmosphere is unique and food isn't that dainty little barely fills your plate stuff!

What would you chose from the following and why?

A. The Wave
B. Whispering Canyon Cafe
C. Coral Reef
D. The Grand Floridian Cafe
E. House of Blues
F. Rose and Crown

EDIT : This would be a couple dinner!!

Don't hold back!!! popcorn::

:wave2: Suscribed, and happily wandering my way along.
Love reading TRs. I like to see WDW from other people's perspective.
I'm going to try to put one together for next month's trip.

These two hotels are both Choice Hotels too so it does amaze me why they either switch owners hands or simply change their names so much!
They sort of just swapped titles - the Clarion is now over on Palm Parkway, just north of the DTD Gate, and that used to be the Comfort Inn LBV. Stayed in both, and liked them.
I believe they swapped names because the Clarion name is perceived as more upscale, and the Palm Pkwy one does have more on-site options, and more of a 'resort' feel than the 192 one.

Let's say you have 5 dining credits and 4 are taken ....Last meal of your trip....Important factors are atmosphere is unique and food isn't that dainty little barely fills your plate stuff!

A. The Wave
C. Coral Reef
E. House of Blues
F. Rose and Crown

Sort of depends on who's going - couple or family. :)

But for your basic criteria, I'd have to say WCC.
On the down side, the food is related in flavor profile to HDDR, on the upside, getting there is part of the fun (water launch preferred), the surroundings are awesome, it's all you care to eat (if you order the skillets), and the atmosphere is definately unique. Plus, it doesn't take a park pass, so if you've run out of them, it's still good.

My second pick (and personal preference) would be GFC, but that doesn't match your requirements as closely. A meal there is a 'must-do' for us, any meal. I love it for a quiet, almost romantic type of dinner, but it's not all that unique, except for being at the GF. Also, I don't know how much the construction impact affects it.

Haven't been to HoB or the Wave yet, so I can't give input there. Coral Reef might fit the bill, but it's been years since we've gone there, and the Rose&Goat was just dreadful the last time we ate there :sad2:

With teenagers? WCC or HoB. Assuming you really couldn't keep the 'Ohana ressie. ;) I've never eaten at HoB at Disney, but the one is Chicago is really good.

Let's say you have 5 dining credits and 4 are taken (Hoop Dee Doo, Biergarten, and San Angel Inn) and the 5th was to be Ohana but the times are ridiculously late.....Last meal of your trip....Important factors are atmosphere is unique and food isn't that dainty little barely fills your plate stuff!

A. The Wave
C. Coral Reef
E. House of Blues
F. Rose and Crown

Hmmm.....let's see. Well, the only one of those I've actually eaten at is Rose & Crown. It is very good. And it's nice if you can get a seat outside on the water.

But, if I wanted to try something new, I would probably go for House of Blues. I've heard lots of good things about it & seems like a fun atmosphere.

My runners up would be WCC & Coral Reef.

A. The Wave
C. Coral Reef
E. House of Blues
F. Rose and Crown

A. The Wave: Haven't eaten there
B. Whispering Canyon Cafe: Eaten both dinner (x3) and breakfast (x1) and came away with extremely full tummies. I'd give it a definite :thumbsup2
C. Coral Reef: Eaten dinner there for the last four trips and enjoy it a lot.
D. The Grand Floridian Cafe: Eaten dinner there twice. It was okay but it's not on our "must go there" list
E. House of Blues: Ate dinner there this past trip. Wanna talk about portions of epic size! Wow! The fried chicken dinner is a whole half chicken. Absolutely no one in our group came away hungry.
F. Rose and Crown: Ate dinner there once and don't really care to go back. It wasn't bad but it wasn't that great either. It was just kinda bland to us. But, we are from Louisiana and like our spices.

:wave2: Suscribed, and happily wandering my way along.
Love reading TRs. I like to see WDW from other people's perspective.
I'm going to try to put one together for next month's trip.

They sort of just swapped titles - the Clarion is now over on Palm Parkway, just north of the DTD Gate, and that used to be the Comfort Inn LBV. Stayed in both, and liked them.
I believe they swapped names because the Clarion name is perceived as more upscale, and the Palm Pkwy one does have more on-site options, and more of a 'resort' feel than the 192 one.

:welcome: Glad to have you on board! I love seeing things through other's eyes also! I have learned so many little things by reading TRs over the years. I will have to watch for your's once you get started!

Interesting on the hotels...that makes perfect sense!!

Sort of depends on who's going - couple or family. :)

But for your basic criteria, I'd have to say WCC.
On the down side, the food is related in flavor profile to HDDR, on the upside, getting there is part of the fun (water launch preferred), the surroundings are awesome, it's all you care to eat (if you order the skillets), and the atmosphere is definately unique. Plus, it doesn't take a park pass, so if you've run out of them, it's still good.

My second pick (and personal preference) would be GFC, but that doesn't match your requirements as closely. A meal there is a 'must-do' for us, any meal. I love it for a quiet, almost romantic type of dinner, but it's not all that unique, except for being at the GF. Also, I don't know how much the construction impact affects it.

Haven't been to HoB or the Wave yet, so I can't give input there. Coral Reef might fit the bill, but it's been years since we've gone there, and the Rose&Goat was just dreadful the last time we ate there :sad2:

Oh yeah, should have added it is a couple....didn't think of that! :headache: I kind of thought the same thing on HDDR and WCC having similar food. Love the reference to "Rose and Goat"!!!

With teenagers? WCC or HoB. Assuming you really couldn't keep the 'Ohana ressie. ;) I've never eaten at HoB at Disney, but the one is Chicago is really good.

Ohana would be preferred! They have a HoB in New Orleans but we have yet to make it there. I have heard good and bad on the one in Orlando!

Hmmm.....let's see. Well, the only one of those I've actually eaten at is Rose & Crown. It is very good. And it's nice if you can get a seat outside on the water.

But, if I wanted to try something new, I would probably go for House of Blues. I've heard lots of good things about it & seems like a fun atmosphere.

My runners up would be WCC & Coral Reef.

I have eaten at Raglan Road and wonder how similar the food might be with Rose and Crown! I was thinking HoB would be different.

A. The Wave: Haven't eaten there
B. Whispering Canyon Cafe: Eaten both dinner (x3) and breakfast (x1) and came away with extremely full tummies. I'd give it a definite :thumbsup2
C. Coral Reef: Eaten dinner there for the last four trips and enjoy it a lot.
D. The Grand Floridian Cafe: Eaten dinner there twice. It was okay but it's not on our "must go there" list
E. House of Blues: Ate dinner there this past trip. Wanna talk about portions of epic size! Wow! The fried chicken dinner is a whole half chicken. Absolutely no one in our group came away hungry.
F. Rose and Crown: Ate dinner there once and don't really care to go back. It wasn't bad but it wasn't that great either. It was just kinda bland to us. But, we are from Louisiana and like our spices.

Sounds like WCC must be a pretty good place! Almost everyone mentioned choosing it so far!

I remember your review of GFC last year (I think). Leaving with full tummies is a "must"!! Yeah I have enough cajun in me (not really just raised next to them! :laughing:) that spices are a necessity for good food!!

Thanks so far everyone!!! :thumbsup2

A. The Wave
C. Coral Reef
E. House of Blues
F. Rose and Crown

EDIT : This would be a couple dinner!!

Kinda torn here. As pp said, the menu at WCC is very similar to HDDR. The Wave and GFC are excellent but not sure Keith would like them as much as HoB or RnC. Also, HoB has a full bar menu and I assume RnC does too! :thumbsup2 Here is a site to look at menus - http://allears.net/din/dining.htm

I wasn't much help but I'm interested to see your choice and why.

Welcome!! That is so awesome you were there at the same time!! I took thousands of POFQ pics!! You may get bored with those or else feel like you're back "home"!! :rotfl: I'm trying to recall how many I have people in... I'll also be interested in your take on the buses! :rolleyes1 [/QUOTE]

We were very fortunate and had great luck with the buses. Our longest wait was for Epcot, if I remember correctly, at about 15 minute. But, the people next to us had apparently already been waiting quite some time by the time we got there. It was midday, so I'm sure not as many buses were running.

BUT...one morning we were waiting for a bus (MK, maybe?). There were TONS of people at the stop, and we were concerned. Turns out they had all been waiting for quite some time for an Epcot bus (coincidence?). People were getting a bit angry. Finally a charter bus pulls up to take them to Epcot. I never did find out what that was about...the charter bus...but at least they got a comfy ride to Epcot, I guess!

Otherwise, we never waited more than 5-10 minutes, and I think we only had to stand once. Can't complain about our personal experience!

Can't wait to read more of your report (and look for ourselves in your pictures)! We didn't arrive until the 8th, so you had a couple of days before us. :)

Kinda torn here. As pp said, the menu at WCC is very similar to HDDR. The Wave and GFC are excellent but not sure Keith would like them as much as HoB or RnC. Also, HoB has a full bar menu and I assume RnC does too! :thumbsup2 Here is a site to look at menus - http://allears.net/din/dining.htm

I wasn't much help but I'm interested to see your choice and why.

Every little opinion counts!! Now what makes you think it matters what Keith would like!? :rolleyes1

Welcome!! That is so awesome you were there at the same time!! I took thousands of POFQ pics!! You may get bored with those or else feel like you're back "home"!! :rotfl: I'm trying to recall how many I have people in... I'll also be interested in your take on the buses! :rolleyes1

We were very fortunate and had great luck with the buses. Our longest wait was for Epcot, if I remember correctly, at about 15 minute. But, the people next to us had apparently already been waiting quite some time by the time we got there. It was midday, so I'm sure not as many buses were running.

BUT...one morning we were waiting for a bus (MK, maybe?). There were TONS of people at the stop, and we were concerned. Turns out they had all been waiting for quite some time for an Epcot bus (coincidence?). People were getting a bit angry. Finally a charter bus pulls up to take them to Epcot. I never did find out what that was about...the charter bus...but at least they got a comfy ride to Epcot, I guess!

Otherwise, we never waited more than 5-10 minutes, and I think we only had to stand once. Can't complain about our personal experience!

Can't wait to read more of your report (and look for ourselves in your pictures)! We didn't arrive until the 8th, so you had a couple of days before us. :)[/QUOTE]

To the parks we were good, leaving the parks we were good but sometimes we would go through Riverside first and twice I timed us at 55 minutes from the time we loaded until we walked off the bus. That was extremely frustrating! I liked going to Epcot and MK because those buses were only POFQ! Overall our bus experience was good--just some instances. Last year we got a cruise charter to DHS but never really knew why they used that instead of the regular buses.

I had wanted to take Keith to the Cape May Clam Bake but our original dates fell during the time Cape May is closed for refurb. Once we changed dates I realized that we had a small window of time to get a dinner in!

On our way to Beach Club Madison and Chris look pretty excited!

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

And Keith is a “driving fool”!! He thought he was Mario Andretti going around the curves!

IMG_0014.jpg

Along the way I am so excited to be back at Disney that I snap a picture of things like…trees

IMG_0015.jpg

And signs….

IMG_0016.jpg

And of course……

IMG_0017.jpg

We arrive at Beach Club a little early by plan.

IMG_0018.jpg

This is my first time to actually be at this resort and I wanted a little looksee!!

Our walk to the entrance…

IMG_0020_1.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

A really cool car to take a spin in….

IMG_0023.jpg

Pictures inside the lobby area….

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Then we head outdoors…

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

The beach….

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

We walk to the bridge to Boardwalk. Along the way Madison declares that for her senior year she wants to stay at Beach Club!

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

Continued in the following post...

CAPE MAY CLAM BAKE

After looking around a bit we decide to check in a little early.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048-1.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Our ADR was for 7:20pm and it is about 6:50pm at this point. We head to the desk and check in, receive our buzzer and proceed to wait.

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

This is what Chris and Keith do….

IMG_0057.jpg

The line we will soon be in!!

IMG_0058-1.jpg

Madison and I go into the lobby area and find a hidden Mickey in the carpet!

IMG_0055.jpg

Within 5 minutes the buzzer is going off and we are escorted to our table. As we make our way to the table the buffet lines are explained to us. We place our drink orders and head off in search of some food!

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

The food was really good! I tried a little bit of everything. In the end my favorite was the beef tips. It was unbelievably tender and delicious!! Also (as several people had hinted) the Oreo Bon Bons were to die for!!! Very yummy indeed!!!!

IMG_0063.jpg

Those are the few pictures I snapped. Not very many since I was more focused on the food I wanted to eat!

Keith was being a smart-aleck and took a picture of his beer since I was taking pictures of my food!

IMG_0068.jpg

Madison drew a picture at the end of the meal while she waited for us to finish up:

IMG_0072.jpg

Then we paid our debt and headed out for a little walk before going back to the hotel.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

The sun was close to setting by this time and dusk was casting a beautiful bluish hue to the world.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Continued in the next post.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter