Still no call...

No call for me yet either. We have GG booked for lunch on October 30. Maybe they are calling people in the order of the date they have booked?

We had a lunch ADR at GG for October 15th and they just called this evening. I'm glad they did at least call but it should have been much sooner, IMO. We called weeks ago to book another character meal and it took days of calling to find something and we still didn't get a very good time.

I'm happy to have something but I really feel bad for those who didn't know until now and may not be able to even get into a character meal at all.

Ive read that they are offering lunch at Chef Mickeys during free dining. Why not continue that for a little while to give those with ADR's at GG an option for lunch? Just a thought. :idea:

Is GG closing for good? Just a renovation? Sorry, but I'm out of the loop on this one. I did a search, but didn't see any threads about GG closing.

Not closing, eliminating lunch as of October 6. They'll still serve dinner.

Charleyann said:
I told her and she was upset and called. They told her she should be called yesterday).That didn't happen! FYI....
Operative words highlighted...
Changing to Dinner often cost a family an extra $50-$100 dollars more. Peopel budget!
This is lunch, not dinner; and five months should be plenty of time to find a table service restaurant with availability and in the same price range as the original meal; or to choose among a wide variety of counter service options (for less money).

cmesq61 said:
OMG! Thank you for putting the date in there! I had not heard GG was stopping lunch and we have an ADR on 9/28. Was worried we wouldn't get anything else with the free dining crowds and all.
Probably at least part of why 10/9 was chosen - Free Dining Guests who booked last September's Future Stay promotion can check in as late as September 28 and get the package up to ten (or fourteen) nights. Ending the GG lunch after that should accommodate all or at least most of the Free Dining Guests.

Ive read that they are offering lunch at Chef Mickeys during free dining. Why not continue that for a little while to give those with ADR's at GG an option for lunch? Just a thought.
And if many/most/all those diners don't want lunch at Chef Mickey's in place of Garden Grill - because it's inconvenient to their plans, or they already ate there, or it doesn't rotate... and how do you restrict it TO just the displaced GG Guests? Remember, Chef Mickey's isn't geared to serve lunch - they expand the offering a very few weeks a year to accommodate the popularity of Free Dining, and to potentially reduce or avoid complaints of "I have these credits and nowhere to use them!".

Operative words highlighted... This is lunch, not dinner; and five months should be plenty of time to find a table service restaurant with availability and in the same price range as the original meal; or to choose among a wide variety of counter service options (for less money).

Probably at least part of why 10/9 was chosen - Free Dining Guests who booked last September's Future Stay promotion can check in as late as September 28 and get the package up to ten (or fourteen) nights. Ending the GG lunch after that should accommodate all or at least most of the Free Dining Guests.

And if many/most/all those diners don't want lunch at Chef Mickey's in place of Garden Grill - because it's inconvenient to their plans, or they already ate there, or it doesn't rotate... and how do you restrict it TO just the displaced GG Guests? Remember, Chef Mickey's isn't geared to serve lunch - they expand the offering a very few weeks a year to accommodate the popularity of Free Dining, and to potentially reduce or avoid complaints of "I have these credits and nowhere to use them!".

She couldn't find another character lunch . She already had Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey booked. She has opted to do just counter service and use the money for another park Character meal.

She had the right to be upset with Disney. They have know well in advance. Her trip is is December, when it is harder to get the ADR's you like and at a suitable time with children.

She has yet to be called. I haven't either, but reading these boards, I immediately made ADR's elasewhere and left mine as they stood incase this was a rumor. My friend was away on vacation and just found out from me upon her return.

Disney has the right to do as they please. It is still bad business and poor customer relations to not notifiy patron's sooner.

Charleyann

I was never informed when Tony's closed for breakfast- didn't know, showed up at 8 am only to find the place closed. I was so upset- and went to Town hall... and was told, sorry.
That's it.
I had 3 small kids and no breakfast. Cinderella's was booked, I tried to get in there to no avail.
I'm still bitter over it. :lmao:

They called me yesterday. I was able to book Tutto Italia for lunch instead. But now we might not be going, because some of the family is feeling poor.:sad1: I still have hope though!

I was never informed when Tony's closed for breakfast- didn't know, showed up at 8 am only to find the place closed. I was so upset- and went to Town hall... and was told, sorry.
That's it.
I had 3 small kids and no breakfast. Cinderella's was booked, I tried to get in there to no avail.

Woah! That would be something I would write Disney a letter over. What did you do for breakfast? Did you try the Crystal Palace?

I whent to my TA yesterday and booked the princess story book meal. It was for the same time:love: I'm glad I didn't just wing it.

That's it.

Poor relations and customer service on Disney's part! Your poor kids must have been devasted?

Woah! That would be something I would write Disney a letter over. What did you do for breakfast? Did you try the Crystal Palace?

That was back in 2001 and CP was closed for rehab? AM I remembering right?

Tony's opened later that day and we were told we could have the 1st ressie, so that's what we did.

I was in tears as we sat there at 8 am- and no place to eat that morning. Seriously, the people at Town Hall looked at me as if I was a crazy lady in tears, explaining that I had a 4, 7, and 10 year old children - who I thought would be eating breakfast- that someone should have informed me by phone or resort SINCE that info is taken at the time of making it.

All they said was sorry and when Tony's opened we could have the first ressies.

I do not have any meals planned here, but I know my neighbor does in Oct. What is going on.? Are they closing, or just dropping the characters. Please let me know

I do not have any meals planned here, but I know my neighbor does in Oct. What is going on.? Are they closing, or just dropping the characters. Please let me know

I've heard no more lunch- dinner only. What time is your neighbors going there?

Lunch at the Garden Grill is being discontinued as of October 6. Your neighbor, if they have a lunch reservation, should start looking for a new lunch reservation or plan on eating counter service.

If they have a dinner reservation, that won't be affected.

After reading this board I called ADR and they told me Garden Grill is closing Oct. 5 NOW WHAT???

After reading this board I called ADR and they told me Garden Grill is closing Oct. 5 NOW WHAT???

All official WDW reports I have read state they are eliminating LUNCH ONLY and will still serve dinner.

If you have a lunch booked there on or after October 6 you will need a new reservation elsewhere for table service.

Is GG closing for good? Just a renovation? Sorry, but I'm out of the loop on this one. I did a search, but didn't see any threads about GG closing.

They are not closing just not serving lunch anymore starting late Sept or mid Oct. Still having dinner & characters

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter