Staying Offsite for MW

Beeble

Earning My Ears
For our last two marathon weekends we've stayed on-site and used Disney Transportation. They announced the races too late this year to rent DVC points, so we have reservations at Coronado Springs, but I was realizing that for the same price we could stay at a much nicer hotel off-site. Last marathon I was late getting to the race because the traffic was so bad (taking Disney transportation from OKW). If we drive our own car, do they allow parking for free? Is it a hassle getting in traffic-wise? Can you park at MK and take the monorail to the start to avoid the traffic? I don't need hotel suggestions, because we will probably stay at Universal (I get APH discounts there), but any off-site race advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have driven to the race a few times from both offsite and onsite hotels. Parking at Epcot for the race has been free before 7 am--so no issue there. If you pick the right route, you can make it there as/more easily than the Disney buses. Just avoid Buena Vista Drive. You will need to come in via World Drive, and best to approach from Osceola. They will post a road closure map in the event guide and you will see what roads are open/closed to plan your route.

I have driven to the race a few times from both offsite and onsite hotels. Parking at Epcot for the race has been free before 7 am--so no issue there. If you pick the right route, you can make it there as/more easily than the Disney buses. Just avoid Buena Vista Drive. You will need to come in via World Drive, and best to approach from Osceola. They will post a road closure map in the event guide and you will see what roads are open/closed to plan your route.
I'm not familiar with how the traffic patterns work, but are you suggesting, if coming from Universal, to skip the Epcot Center Drive exit and get off at the Osceola Parkway exit and then take a right onto World Drive?

I'm not familiar with how the traffic patterns work, but are you suggesting, if coming from Universal, to skip the Epcot Center Drive exit and get off at the Osceola Parkway exit and then take a right onto World Drive?

Yes.

I have also stayed at OKW and had bus issues getting stuck on Buena Vista Dr trying to get onto World Drive. You can avoid some of this coming from Osceola. It remains to be seen what the race start times will be--seems like they are bing moved up to 5. But when they were at 5:30, I could leave Pop or AKL at 3:30+ and make it in plenty of time.

For our last two marathon weekends we've stayed on-site and used Disney Transportation. They announced the races too late this year to rent DVC points, so we have reservations at Coronado Springs, but I was realizing that for the same price we could stay at a much nicer hotel off-site. Last marathon I was late getting to the race because the traffic was so bad (taking Disney transportation from OKW). If we drive our own car, do they allow parking for free? Is it a hassle getting in traffic-wise? Can you park at MK and take the monorail to the start to avoid the traffic? I don't need hotel suggestions, because we will probably stay at Universal (I get APH discounts there), but any off-site race advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am thinking of doing the exact same thing, so, I’ll be following this thread. That said, I think going to MK and trying to take the monorail would just add a lot of time. If you are doing Dopey, the monorail only runs for the 1/2 and full.

Just go early early early early. Did I mention early?

I volunteered for, and my son and then-husband participated in, the 5K over marathon weekend once, and we were staying at Universal. While that's a wee bit different than driving in for the marathon, it was all about leaving early and having a plan to wait all that time.

Thinking about staying off site also due to some of the on site resorts showing no availability and the prices of the others being so high. So keeping an eye on this also.

I've stayed at Universal (Cabana Bay) for the 2019 Marathon Weekend (we just did the 5K and the half) and the 2020 Princess Challenge so I can give you my first hand experience.

There was NO traffic on the roads (I-4 or on Disney property) until we just about got to Epcot. We followed the directions that Disney gave us about which roads/directions to use and had no trouble (I honestly can't tell you what roads they were since I'm not terribly familiar with driving on Disney property). That being said, we left EARLY and gave ourselves plenty of extra time. The drive took about 20 minutes and we were on the road around 3:30 for a 5:30 am start. Once we were safely in the Epcot parking lot, we stayed in the car for quite a while, dozed a bit and ate breakfast before heading to the corrals (Note: I was in one of the later corrals so if you are in an early corral, you might not want to chill in the car quite so long). The best part about having your own car (other than not having to deal with Disney transport) is the ability to stay out of the elements and off your feet until you actually need to be.

You do not have to pay to park for the races.

Personally, I wouldn't want to get anywhere near the Magic Kingdom on a race day. There are A LOT of roads restricted and/or closed due to the race in that area and you are more likely to have trouble there than just going to Epcot.

I hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter