Staying at a WDW resort WITHOUT visiting the parks?

Planning on not doing any parks on my upcoming December trip (with the exception of maybe doing one night at MK for the Christmas Party). My plan is to tour the different resorts on property and Disney Springs to see the Christmas decorations. Hopefully the weather will be warn enough to enjoy some pool time! :beach:

Has anyone stayed at a WDW resort but NOT visited any of the four main parks? Would you ever do this? What resort would you chose if you did?

So some background on why I'm asking this: DS1 is stationed in the Florida panhandle and we're an 8 hour drive away in the Charleston, SC area. You'll see in my signature that we've been to WDW multiple times. We last went as a family along with both boys' girlfriends last summer, DH and I celebrated our anniversary on our first trip as couple in Jan., and DS1's GF is currently doing her 2nd college program working there now. DS1 is going this weekend to meet up with her for vacation and is taking the plunge to get a Florida resident pass (she is an annual passholder too). DS2 also went last Thanksgiving with his GF and her family. He came up with the idea of meeting up over the summer at WDW with DS1 instead of us going to visit him- it's about a 6 hour drive for each of us. DS1's on board too.
I'm concerned that DH won't want to go back so soon since we talked about going back next year once Star Wars land is open, since we're all huge fans. Do we have the money? Yes, though he may say we need to put it in savings instead of spending so much at Disney.
So I thought maybe we can go down there, stay at a resort, and maybe do a water park (which surprisingly none of us have ever done), mini golf, Disney Springs activities, pool time at the resort, resort hopping to enjoy different restaurants, and activities at other resorts. But I wonder if we'll regret not going to the 4 parks.

What do y'all think? TIA for all opinions!

I did this before and really started to get the itch to go to the parks. It was a challenge to be that close and not go for me personally. My DH though did not want to spend the extra money to add park tickets since we had just come off a Disney cruise. I guess it depends how much you love the parks!

Thank you all for your input! Great points either way.
Well, older DS texted DH the other day about bringing something to him this summer when we visit. He then said we should all just get together at WDW again, lol. DH responded back "Lol, then get together with your mother and plan it." DS sent me a screen shot and I about passed out! When I got home from work I asked DH if he was serious and he said sure if that's what we wanted to do. I asked if he wanted to just stay at a resort and do activities or do park days. He said being there and not going to the parks would be like tailgating at the Super Bowl! He said we at least had to go to the parks a few days. When I said the military 4 day ticket is only a little more than a 2 day ticket he was sold. He also said he'd want to stay moderate. I was able to get a reservation for 2 rooms garden view at POR. So we're on our way to planning a trip!

Every time we go to WDW I say that I want to check out activities at all of the resorts (or even the resort we're actually staying at!), and we almost never do. Well, we almost never check out the ones at our own resort and we NEVER go check out any others. Because we're always at the parks.

So if I went on a no-park trip, I'd visit the daylights out of all of the resorts! :D

I know right? It always sounds like a good idea at the time, but then the reality of "I gotta get my moneys worth out of these tickets" kicks in. I'd love to do a mellow trip where I only spent maybe 3 hours a day in the parks and the rest of the time just enjoying my room and resort.....lol but I'm not rich enough to waste my days.

I don’t know that I would do it for a week, but I have done long weekends without the parks. I prefer WL or FW for those trips because they feel the least like Florida to me when I stay there, so it feels like a getaway without the parks.

I know right? It always sounds like a good idea at the time, but then the reality of "I gotta get my moneys worth out of these tickets" kicks in. I'd love to do a mellow trip where I only spent maybe 3 hours a day in the parks and the rest of the time just enjoying my room and resort.....lol but I'm not rich enough to waste my days.

I told DH that someday I want to go to WDW but not buy a park ticket for every single day. That way we'll be forced to check out other things for a few days. :)

Well, older DS texted DH the other day about bringing something to him this summer when we visit. He then said we should all just get together at WDW again, lol. DH responded back "Lol, then get together with your mother and plan it." DS sent me a screen shot and I about passed out! When I got home from work I asked DH if he was serious and he said sure if that's what we wanted to do. I asked if he wanted to just stay at a resort and do activities or do park days. He said being there and not going to the parks would be like tailgating at the Super Bowl! He said we at least had to go to the parks a few days. When I said the military 4 day ticket is only a little more than a 2 day ticket he was sold. He also said he'd want to stay moderate. I was able to get a reservation for 2 rooms garden view at POR. So we're on our way to planning a trip!

Congrats on moving to the next step! Enjoy the planning :).

Every time we go to WDW I say that I want to check out activities at all of the resorts (or even the resort we're actually staying at!), and we almost never do. Well, we almost never check out the ones at our own resort and we NEVER go check out any others. Because we're always at the parks.

So if I went on a no-park trip, I'd visit the daylights out of all of the resorts! :D
Love your phrase - I'd visit the daylights out of all the resorts! This is why I am planning a no-park trip. Like you, when I am there with the tickets, going to the parks, there is not enough time to travel from resort to resort to check things out. And since the tickets are SO EXPENSIVE, I make sure I get the most out of them.

We're planning to try a similar trip soon. We'll be at CSR for three nights before a cruise at the end of June. Since our trips are usually in cooler weather, we've never been to Blizzard Beach, so we're planning to do a water park day and a resort day. The pool at CSR is one of our favorites, too, so I guess we'll be doing lots of swimming. We've also never done Fanstasia mini-golf so we might do that, too. It's weird not buying park tickets, but I think we'll still have a lot of fun!

We have done it many times. And we are doing it again in August. It is a fantastic way to get some Disney in without breaking the bank!

This is my plan and the reason why I am trying it. I can get my Disney fix in for a few days while trying out some of the big things I have always wanted to do but did not have the time.

Exciting news for you! Have fun planning!

Yes, this is me. If we have park tickets we spend as much time in the parks as we can, leaving very little time do to other things.

I am working out a plan to go down for a few days while I am relatively close to WDW and check off a few of the things I want to do that do not involve going to a park. Here is my list. What is yours?

Whispering Canyon - my son would get such a kick out of this meal/experience.
Fort Wilderness - just check out the place
Chip and Dale Sing A long
Check out Wilderness Lodge
Watch fireworks on one of the beaches
Watch the Electric Water Parade
Have Tonga Toast for breakfast at the Quick Service at the Poly

Planning on not doing any parks on my upcoming December trip (with the exception of maybe doing one night at MK for the Christmas Party). My plan is to tour the different resorts on property and Disney Springs to see the Christmas decorations. Hopefully the weather will be warn enough to enjoy some pool time! :beach:

That is what we did last November. Toured all the resorts and then got an MVMCP ticket. It was perfect!

I am working out a plan to go down for a few days while I am relatively close to WDW and check off a few of the things I want to do that do not involve going to a park. Here is my list. What is yours?

Fort Wilderness is my FAVORITE place to relax on a no-parks trip. We go for breakfast at Trails End, then we go to the beach to play tetherball. After, we go see the horses, blacksmith, etc. It is SO peaceful there. We can kill half a day!

We also make time for DS - Mickey's Pantry and Splitsville are my two "must do" things there. I love the sushi and drinks at Splitsville, and Mickey's pantry just puts me in a good mood - I come home with lots of new spices :)

We love going to the Contemporary and grabbing a snack from Contempo then going out on the overlook and watching the action at MK/monorail/Bay Lake.

Boardwalk area - we typically grab Ample Hills and people watch. Then go to the rocking chairs outside of BW lobby and hang out and enjoy the atmosphere for a while. It is incredibly relaxing.

We mini golf at least one time - doesn't matter where.

Monorail loops.

Boat rides.

Has anyone stayed at a WDW resort but NOT visited any of the four main parks? Would you ever do this? What resort would you chose if you did?

So some background on why I'm asking this: DS1 is stationed in the Florida panhandle and we're an 8 hour drive away in the Charleston, SC area. You'll see in my signature that we've been to WDW multiple times. We last went as a family along with both boys' girlfriends last summer, DH and I celebrated our anniversary on our first trip as couple in Jan., and DS1's GF is currently doing her 2nd college program working there now. DS1 is going this weekend to meet up with her for vacation and is taking the plunge to get a Florida resident pass (she is an annual passholder too). DS2 also went last Thanksgiving with his GF and her family. He came up with the idea of meeting up over the summer at WDW with DS1 instead of us going to visit him- it's about a 6 hour drive for each of us. DS1's on board too.
I'm concerned that DH won't want to go back so soon since we talked about going back next year once Star Wars land is open, since we're all huge fans. Do we have the money? Yes, though he may say we need to put it in savings instead of spending so much at Disney.
So I thought maybe we can go down there, stay at a resort, and maybe do a water park (which surprisingly none of us have ever done), mini golf, Disney Springs activities, pool time at the resort, resort hopping to enjoy different restaurants, and activities at other resorts. But I wonder if we'll regret not going to the 4 parks.

We've done this several times. I think its one of the big benefits of Deluxe Resorts.

Fort Wilderness is one I want to check out as well. Weve never been in the campground.

My choice would be Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge--both restful and beautiful resorts and WL has access to lots of good food choice within a short boat ride and AKL has 3 of it's own fantastic eateries.

Planning on doing this for the first time this fall. We were at the parks this past February and it was a total cluster!!!!! Think we need a break from the madness especially with Star Wars opening. Just love the atmosphere around Disney and the beautifully managed properties. Planning on staying at Beach Club and spending our days resort hopping to visit resorts we haven't stayed at yet, playing mini-golf, renting bikes and maybe watercraft, perhaps bowling at Splitsville, enjoying Disney Springs, and spending time at the pool. We can get our fireworks fix sitting outside at the Wilderness Lodge.

I’ve done it, and it’s great. And I’m doing it again soon. I didn’t really miss the parks at all and had a great vacation.
Thanks Lisa ~ I need to do the parks on a limited basis anymore because everything is so crowded but just totally LOVE the resorts!

We have done it 3 times in January. It's our birthday trip and we get to escape the Michigan winter and thaw our bones. we stay at Pop and do all the things at we don't have time for during our park trip in September.
We spent a day at AKL watching the animals and pin trading, campfire and sing along at the campgrounds, dinner with friends, who work for Disney, Typhoon Laguna, if warm enough. We also take free AMC movie tickets, through Coke points for an extra cold or rainy day.
While at the Campgrounds, we like to visit the horses at the Circle D ranch. Enjoy tye dying Mickey shirts at the resort.
We love staying at Pop for lots of reasons. It's comfortable, fun and safe.

The tickets are getting so expensive and the parks are so crowded - we can afford the trip but even with Fastpass+ you don’t have an opportunity to enjoy very many attractions because of the long waits. When you have to wait well over an hour for the jungle Cruise things are crazy.

Not so much anymore , now that we have passes, but we used to do this all the time! Even now, if we're in a park and it's just too hot and miserable, we head back to the room for the pool or touring on the monorail. We're Fort Wilderness Camping types, but it's fun regardless of the hotel you choose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!