Stategies for entertaining kids on a LONG drive??

I'm just very picky about what we buy because it will have to be very safe. I'm concerned about getting into an accident and having the player turn into a missile, you know? My DH has a laptop and he first suggested that, but I don't know of a safe way to secure something like that. So, I think we'll buy something made especially for this purpose.

Thanks for all these great suggestions!

My mom picked up a lap tray at a flea market for my 5 y/o. It is one of those metal ones with the fold down legs and as a bonus, it has spider-man on it! It makes a great "table" for coloring, hot wheels or whatever. I would highly recommend finding something like this.

AbbysDaddy:
Oh, and as for the TV/DVD combo having only 2 earphone jacks, you can go to Radio Shack and purchase an adapter that will turn one jack into two jacks. They are only about 5 bucks each and then you can have 4 ear phone jacks!

We also use the TV, VCR, DVD, PS2, gameboys, etc.

But we also hit the Dollar Tree and get lots of $1 toys and wrap them up--one design of paper for each kid--and when they have been 'good' for a while (or are getting really cranky) I let each kid pick a gift. The unwrapping, opening, and playing will usually buy us 30 minutes!

Whatever works for your family is the best--all kids and families are different and the more the merrier (and the closer to insanity!)

I just noticed in the Target sales paper today that they have the TV/ VCR bag that fit over the headrest on sale for 200.00. They looked quite secure and the price is the best I have seen. It is VCR rather that the DVD but I bet lots of people are like us and still have more VCR tapes than DVD. All our Disney movies are VRC. We have never felt the need for one as our DS is an excelent traveler but I think I might just get one of these. You can also pick up VCR tapes at great prices now and put them back for the trip.

jordan's mom

My youngest was 3 1/2 when we drove from NY to FL. Some of the things that kept him occupied were a plain compositon notebook and a box of colored pencils (they don't melt like crayons and are not messy like markers), read-a-long books with tapes, colorforms/sticker books, and little Happy Meal type toys.

Check out this web site it gives great advice, games and ideas for long rides.
www.momsminivan.com
We also drove last year for the first time. Did what most have said. Another great thing to have is pipe cleaners and some beads and things like that. You would be amazed what they can do and make with them.
We also got snacks we usually don't strange lollipops pop rocks...etc...also lots of fluids granted we had a lot of bathroom breaks but it kept them hydrated.
We had the TV/VCR combo and I must admit it was great! The kids didn't know we got one so we left early in the morning and pulled it out about 6 hours later or so. This way they didn't watch it the entire time. Plus on the way home they were very tired and slept alont!

We have 3 boys, 2 1/2, 4, & 6 yrs old. We have made the 12 hour trips with the TV/VCR(Target $175).We play favorite disney movies and the video you can order for free from disney on the way there. On the way back, we also watch what we filmed of our trip. Also, they pack their own backpack with toys to bring on the ride. I bring a lot of snacks. We usually stop 2 or 3 times.

I, too, gave the kids 'presents' every so often. I buy Happy Meal toys (unopened) from eBay. I usually spend about 20.00 total for a zillion different toys and the kids LOVE them. I look at them as disposable toys and we usually end up throwing most of the out when we get there. It's totally worth it to me. My kids also LOVE Beanie Babies so I would buy a few of them to give out. We also had a tv/vcr combo (the bag that hangs on the seat) and that helps a ton, also.

We tried driving at night, also, but found we were too tired when we arrived and so it wasn't worth it. But, if you are each able to sleep in the car while the other spouse is driving, it's probably a good idea. I just can't sleep in the car (too nervous that my husband will fall asleep and run off the road!!) I'm actually more relaxed when I'M driving! (Then he has to tend to the kids!!)

Pam

There is a free video about Disney World you can order. I don't know if DVD's are available. There is a 1-800# you can call. I don't know it off hand. Maybe someone else can help out with the #. Also, I think you can order it on the Disney website. My kids love it. We have the 100 years Celebration video but that is no longer available. There is a new one out. I called but haven't received it yet. I think they might have a new one every year. I really don't know because I'm kind of new to this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter