Stategies for entertaining kids on a LONG drive??

Disney Princess 6

<font color=purple>I'm Eeyore's human counterpart
We have about an 18 hour drive to WDW and are looking for ways to keep our 2 and 4 year olds happy. Can anyone offer any suggestions? We're doing about 9 hours one day and 9 the next. Thank you.

I would also love any suggestions. We will be leaving in May and will have a 4 yr old, 2 yr old and 1 yr old and will be driving from Memphis.

Ooooh! I can answer this! We drove in Dec from MN to WDW. Two long days of driving and it went really well. I have a 6 yo and 2.5 yo as well as a 1 yo.

We made sure we had several new CDs of kids music. Also lots of story tapes from the library. Each child had their own backpack with books, color wonder markers and paper and a few snacks. I had LOTS of little presents ready to go. These included frontpacks with pez dispensers in them, magnetic books, a story tape for each, a new book for each and gosh I don't remember what else. We actually only went through about half of what I had on hand.

We sang songs, we played Simon says, we made sure that everyone had snacks and drinks. A special treat for my kids was that on two of the days--one down and one back--they got to go into the gas station and pick out a snack. We made sure on the way down that we stopped every couple of hours so everyone could get out and run around, but the weather on the way home was rainy and snowy so we just drove and drove. That actually worked out better.

We have a minivan, so we were also able to do a little seat switching as the 6 year old is just in a booster. that seemed to break up the monotony a bit getting to sit by a different brother or taking turns sitting by mommy.

My kids also have Leap Pads--the regular one and the My First--and the 6 yo also had a GameBoy although she actually didn't use it that much. She had a walkman to listen to longer books on by herself. (The two year old isn't into the American Girls series):D

I think that's about it. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll tell you what I can.

Julie,
Thanks so much for your suggestions! Those are really great ideas!! You were sooo helpful!! Fortunately, when my kids were little, they really traveled well. But my 3 grandchildren didn't take after their parents...lol. The 4 yr old has really settled down alot and I don't think we will have a problem with him. The 2 yr old is a completely different story. I know I'm going to have buy tons of stuff to keep her occupied and in her seat!

The following things worked for us:
Crayons w/ disney themed coloring books, stickers (also useful for lines and restaurants), travel size magna doodle, crayola color wonder markers, leap pad/my first leap pad, color forms, matchbox cars, crayola modeling clay which is much neater than play doh and plenty of fruit snacks. Good luck!

We just had a 9 hour car trip with our 1 and 3 year olds. A family member lent us a TV/VCR combo which we plugged into the lighter and placed between the front seats of our small VW. Of course, we stopped a lot, and they had books, magna doodle, music, and mommy's front seat puppet show, but the movies -- all Disney of course! -- were a lifesaver. We were told the unit cost $200 but I'm sure they rent these somewhere.

Good luck! :D

We bought a portable DVD with a car plug in for our last trip. It really really helped. Spoiled, maybe? A much nicer trip than our last trip 6 months prior for our 2 year old, definately! We bought ours from Target and it was $379.

Sounds like you will be traveling from the same area as us (Indiana).
We do a lot of road travel, due to are family living a min. of 2 states away. We have 4 childern (5 and under) 1 on the way. What we try to do is leave out at night, this lets the childern sleep their normal pattern on the road. We have a little cooler that plugs into the cig lighter that will keep drinks and snacks cold without the worry of ice. Also I pack little snacks and wrap a few gifts that they are rewarded with on a time basis. This makes it go quicker because they focus on the gifts more then the end of the trip. If they are awake and anyones bladder is like my 4yr olds plan to stop every 1.5 to 2 hrs for a bathroom. Try to stay on main roads, We tried taking shortcuts that his father advised and it was impossable to find a bathroom when needed.

Sounds like you will be traveling from the same area as us (Indiana).
We do a lot of road travel, due to are family living a min. of 2 states away. We have 4 childern (5 and under) 1 on the way. What we try to do is leave out at night, this lets the childern sleep their normal pattern on the road. We have a little cooler that plugs into the cig lighter that will keep drinks and snacks cold without the worry of ice. Also I pack little snacks and wrap a few gifts that they are rewarded with on a time basis. This makes it go quicker because they focus on the gifts more then the end of the trip. If they are awake and anyones bladder is like my 4yr olds plan to stop every 1.5 to 2 hrs for a bathroom. Try to stay on main roads, We tried taking shortcuts that his father advised and it was impossable to find a bathroom when needed.

We had a 3 yrd old, 18 mo and 6 mo from Jersey last year. Could not have done it without renting a TV with a VCR. What a LIFESAVER!

We just drove down from Canada in Dec. with our 4yr old and 9mnth old. We followed all the suggestions that everyone else has posted but the two that worked the best are the TV vcr thing and stopping about every 3 hours. I know that seems like alot of stopping but a bathroom break and a quick 15 min run around did the trick. We would try and stop at a McDonalds with a playland . After the 15 min of play time we would switch drivers grap some drive thru if we wanted to eat and where off again.
Good luck
Nancy

I think I read this on here somewhere, tried it with my nephew and worked great - try to stop for lunch at a fast food place that has a playground. Have one parent head straight to the playground with the kids while the other parent gets food for the parents. Both parents eat while the kids run wild and run off all that energy.

Right before it's time to go one parent goes and gets the kids' food and everyone piles into the car and let the kids eat in the car while driving. One parent can possibly sit in the back to help the kids eat if they are little.

I would definitely recommend the TV/VCR combo. What a lifesaver! They are very inexpensive now (around $185 at Sam's, BJ's, even Wal-Mart), borrow as many movies from friends (make a list of who owns which for returning), and happy happy happy!

The playland idea is a must. Run! Be Free! Wear off some of that energy!

Splitting the drive time is a great plan also. If you stop at a hotel with a pool, even better. The children really look forward to this. It is always nice when the trip is part of the enjoyment, not just a means.

:wave:

About the TV/VCR thing--I just have to say that we did all of our trips in the car when I was little and never had any movies to watch. I think it's just fine if that is what people want to do, but for those of you out there considering a long car trip, please don't think you can't do it without the television. As posted above, our three kids did just fine all the way from MN to FL and back with no TV. For me, I didn't want to spend the trip arguing about when we could watch a movie and when we couldn't and I sure didn't want them watching TV the whole trip. I know it works great for some people, but as I said, I just don't want people to think it can't be done without the TV.

We have and use the TV/VCR to entertain the kids on long drives. I see some good and not so good with them: Good-keeps kids entertained, Not so good: The one we purchased from Sam's, about $125-$150 has two earjacks, if there are more than 2 viewers, they do not hear the audio, or you need to use the external speakers. When we do that, I hate it, b/c I like to listen to the radio, makes it difficult to listen to the radio when the TV audio is loud.

We use the tv but instead of buying new videos we swap with our neighbors. The kids get to watch shows they've never seen and our neighbors kids have something new to watch, too. Also, we bring tons of stickers and a new notebook for each kid. For some reason they can play with stickers forever. I even keep the Christmas seals/stickers that come in the mail - luckily they're not picky.

To Disney Princess 6 - we have an 18 hour drive, too. If possible, I'd suggest one 12 hour day and one 6 hour instead of two 9's. The first day is rough but it's so much nicer to get up the second day and realize that you're that much closer. It's also, IMO, harder to entertain the kids on the second day because they're sick of being in the car by then. Just my opinion - good luck.

Colorforms and travel games are good too. I don't bring crayons because they melt in the car! Colored pencils work good (and aren't as messy as markers)

We live around Chicago, have 4 kids and drive every year. All the advice here is good you need to have plenty for them to do. We find the Leap Pads and books and music on CD work great. My daughter just got a Barbie computer for Christmas and used it a lot on our drive to Colorado. If you don't have a TV/VCR set up I'd buy one of those portable DVD players. The prices have really come down in the last few years.

But my main suggestion is to drive overnight, but only if you and your husband can handle it. (I find coffee and rock and roll music played loud through head phones (don't want to wake the family) works great to keep me awake).

We always leave when the kids get out of school 3:30 to 4:00 then stop for dinner at about 7:00. Kids get in p.j.s, out come the pillows and blankets, movie goes on and kids go to sleep. DH and I split the overnight drive, the kids get up between 8:30 and 9:30 the next morning, we have breakfast and are at WDW at about 1:00. Then we spend the day at the pool so DH and I can relax, sometimes we go to a show or just have a nice dinner. Then the next day we're off to one the parks all rested.

I get too stressed if I have to keep the kids entertained for that long. With the four of them there always seems to be a least one who wants to entertain himself by bugging a sibling. May be that's just my kids, but somehow I don't think so.

We took an eleven hour car trip to IN in Oct. and with the help of DVD's the trip was a huge success with us and 2yo DD!!!

We just used our laptop computer for the DVD player! My DH bought a special adapter from Target to run the laptop in the car. We placed the laptop in the back pocket of the front seat so it was in a nice viewing spot for DD in the back. I often sat in the back too to pass the time watching movies and it really did make the time go by faster!! :)

The trip was such a success that we decided to tackle driving to WDW in early Feb. instead of flying!

We also brought books, coloring books and crayons, and stickers.

Good luck!
Gi

I guess we are lucky because our son is such a good car rider. When we lived in Montana and wanted to go shopping, it was a 2.5 hour drive to get to the store. I started taking him with me on these drives when he was only 1. We would talk and look for things (we liked to count water towers, but in Houston we find as many within the city limits as we found on our entire trip in Montana ;)). He likes to draw, so he always has a pad of paper and markers or pencils with him. And stickers. Now he plays his Gameboy or Magic Moments game in the car or listens to CDs on his portable CD player with headphones. We play games like Categories where everyone comes up with a category - Who is your favorite Disney character? - and we all answer. Sometimes he brings along a joke book and reads jokes to us.

We don't have a TV/VCR/DVD player for our car and haven't needed one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter