Star Tours made me sick, will Soarin' do the same?

CeruleanMoon

Mouseketeer
Hi guys! I've been reading these boards for a few weeks now but this is my first post. Last time I was in Epcot was in 1991, so I understand a lot has changed! I rode Star Tours during that trip and it was the closest I've ever come to actually hurling my cookies on a ride. o_O Very unpleasant. It's the spinning horizon line that gets me I think. What can I expect from Soarin'? Is there any spinning? I'm concerned that I won't be able to ride it. (Also worried about the Banshee ride at Pandora, so I'll be watching people's reports on that too.)

What are other people's experiences with this ride (those of you who have motion sickness issues?)

No comparison. Soarin does not jar you AT ALL. It is gentle and swaying but does not throw you around at all.

ST is the only ride at Disney I will not go on, it's so disorienting. Oh, and MS --- I hate feeling stuck in that "capsule"!

Soarin is way way way better than Star Tours
Just look forward into the screen, don't look around too much
If it gets to be too much, shut your eyes for a bit

Can you handle an IMAX theatre with ease? That's the better comparison IMO. I can't do Star Tours or MS. I have a hard time in IMAX theatres, but if I stay very still and really focus straight ahead only, I can do IMAX. I DO NOT have this problem on Soarin' It is easier for me to handle than IMAX theatre.

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. IMAX movies are hit or miss for me. Big grand vistas are usually ok, but I watched one about weather pilots and the spinning and tilting horizons from the plane's POV made me feel sick. Same with Polar Express on IMAX which has a scene where the train cars spin. Jiggling camera views also bother me (Blair Witch made me nauseous.) Just watching the viewpoint of people walking while holding a camera makes me ill! Being so sensitive to this kind of motion can be a real pain. Glad to hear I'm not the only one bothered by Star Tours though.

It sounds like I might be ok for Soarin', so I'm hopeful!

My husband gets motion sickness and soaring never bothers him. It doesn't really move so if it starts to bother you just close your eyes :-)

I haven't ridden Star Tours in years because of motion sickness, but I've never had a problem with Soarin'.

I have also had issues with Star Tours, but am absolutely fine with Soarin. It's such a gentle motion, nothing jarring about it. I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

As a motion sick person myself, Soarin' *mostly* didn't bother me. There were a couple spots I started feeling a tiny bit off, but found that if I stared at one spot for a few seconds, it helped.

I have to close my eyes for most of ST, but enjoy Soarin (I'd skip ST but its one of DS's favorites). DH on the other hand can't do either - both make him sick.

These attractions are vastly different. There isn't any way to compare the amount of motion between the two of them. Soarin is very gentle.

Star Tours makes me sick, but I have no issues with Soarin. It's one of my favorites, and I could ride it over and over again

I cannot do simulator rides so I have never rode ST. I am very sad that they made 1 of the 2 rides in Pandora a simulator :crazy2: Isn't there something else they can do? That being said I can do Soarin. If there is a part that I start to feel a bit queasy, I look down at my lap. I am also hit or miss at the IMAX theaters, usually a miss. My husband though can do all of that stuff and loves it!

I am totally fine with ST but Soarin' disorients me a bit. I haven't been on the new Soarin' so it might be different, but as long as I don't move my head during the video I"m ok. When I look down or around I get disoriented. It's definitely an IMAX movie thing vs. a motion thing.

I can't ride ST or MS but Soarin doesn't bother me at all. Now, I don't like the new one because the screen is curved and everything is off, but it doesn't make me sick. As a matter of fact, I tend to lean over and look down and that doesn't bother me either. I don't get sick on roller coasters but there is something abut the simulator rides that really throws me off. I'll try the Pandora ride but intend to start on bonine the night before as a precaution.

I get motion sickness on Star Tours, but I am totally fine on Soarin. The old Star Tours did not make me sick either.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter