Stacking genie for clarification

This is what happened to me when we went in May. The app is very helpful in telling you when your next time opens up.
Agree - we found the app to be very helpful in that regard. As soon as I booked a LL, I would attempt to book another and the app would tell me what time I could book another and I just set a timer on my phone for that time. It was a breeze.

I was at Disney last week, and the hardest part of stacking was just getting the return times to align with what we wanted. In Hollywood studios, the attraction return times book up so fast, that they are too late for the most part when you hit each 2hr window. However, it's the opposite in MK, I was wanting to book return times later in the evening, but the times were only running maybe 1-2 hrs ahead of actual time, so I had to wait and not book until times pushed out that far. It's a combination of strategy and luck.

You could do it this way but you won’t be able to book any further G+ until your last stacked ride

I’d do the following:

Your 2:30 booking should be for a ride during your arrival window. In your example I’d guess that would be around 3:15. That allows you to keep booking G+ during your stacking period as they are available. For a park like HS or AK there won’t be much left worth stacking at 2:30.

This is confusing me. What do you mean they won’t be able to book any further until their last stacked ride?

I’ve been watching the app to sort of practice but now I’m wondering if what I’m thinking is possible….

9:00: this is the earliest we will have an internet connection to book. Looks like by then it’s been around a 3:30 JC return time.

11:00: (because it’s 2 hours later) book a LL to Meet Mickey (this is usually VERY late by now)

1:00: Pirates or Thunder (I guess if Pirates is sooner we would do that to hope to get under the 2 hour window?)

Maybe under 2 hour return if we can manage with Pirates, then book thunder… so obviously thunder booking at this point would be late. When could we book the next LL? 2 hours after we booked whatever time we booked the last one? So say at 2:30 we scanned into pirates and went and booked thunder for 7pm at 4:30 can we book another LL? Keeping in mind we have a previous LL booked let’s say JC @ 3:30?

This is confusing me. What do you mean they won’t be able to book any further until their last stacked ride?

I’ve been watching the app to sort of practice but now I’m wondering if what I’m thinking is possible….

9:00: this is the earliest we will have an internet connection to book. Looks like by then it’s been around a 3:30 JC return time.

11:00: (because it’s 2 hours later) book a LL to Meet Mickey (this is usually VERY late by now)

1:00: Pirates or Thunder (I guess if Pirates is sooner we would do that to hope to get under the 2 hour window?)

Maybe under 2 hour return if we can manage with Pirates, then book thunder… so obviously thunder booking at this point would be late. When could we book the next LL? 2 hours after we booked whatever time we booked the last one? So say at 2:30 we scanned into pirates and went and booked thunder for 7pm at 4:30 can we book another LL? Keeping in mind we have a previous LL booked let’s say JC @ 3:30?

Yes, you can. Previously booked-but-unused LLs don't affect your current eligibility (which kicks in when you scan into most-recently-booked LL, or 2 hours from most-recent-booking, whichever comes first).

Yes you can do that because you scanned into your most recently booked ride, which triggers an additional LL booking.

Agree - we found the app to be very helpful in that regard. As soon as I booked a LL, I would attempt to book another and the app would tell me what time I could book another and I just set a timer on my phone for that time. It was a breeze.
Where did the app tell you what time you were eligible? When I was there June 18th - 21st ( first time using genie+) if I tried to book a lightning Lane too early it would say we weren't eligible but didn't give us a time we would be eligible. Knowing the time we would be eligible would have been very helpful. I'm thinking maybe I wasn't looking in the correct place? 😊
Also...just to clarify, I'm guessing there's no way to modify the return time like there was with fast pass? For example, if you get a return time of 3pm but you would prefer 5 pm there's no way to click on your 3 pm and somehow modify it to later...correct?

Last edited:

Where did the app tell you what time you were eligible? When I was there June 18th - 21st ( first time using genie+) if I tried to book a lightning Lane too early it would say we weren't eligible but didn't give us a time we would be eligible. Knowing the time we would be eligible would have been very helpful. I'm thinking maybe I wasn't looking in the correct place? 😊
If you try to book another LL and you are too early, it will show up as you are trying to book it. You will come across a page with your party, and each person will be shown as "Not Eligible" with a text block next to each guess. Within that block it should give you the time you can select your next LL.Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 7.53.48 AM.png

Also...just to clarify, I'm guessing there's no way to modify the return time like there was with fast pass? For example, if you get a return time of 3pm but you would prefer 5 pm there's no way to click on your 3 pm and somehow modify it to later...correct?
You are correct. When booking LL's you cannot modify return times. If you want a different attraction or return time, you will need to cancel your most recent selection in order to book something else.

2:30 PM book LL for 7:05 PM
Next booking is the sooner of: last booked LL + 2 hours (4:30 PM) OR after tap into most recently booked (7:05 PM)
Not OP but very good question and I have the same confusion. Thank you for going through OPs example and explaining. This helped clarify it. So basically you always compare against the last LL booked....doesn't matter if you tap into a different one earlier.

If you try to book another LL and you are too early, it will show up as you are trying to book it. You will come across a page with your party, and each person will be shown as "Not Eligible" with a text block next to each guess. Within that block it should give you the time you can select your next LL.View attachment 685587

You are correct. When booking LL's you cannot modify return times. If you want a different attraction or return time, you will need to cancel your most recent selection in order to book something else.
Thank you so much!

I am arriving this weekend and my first park is Sunday at MK. I have tried practicing with the MDE app, but it won't allow me past my group of 2. I get the not eligible page so I'm unable to practice. Does anyone have some advice?
TIA!
Daisy
What specific questions do you have about using Genie+?

Some basics would be to prioritize which attractions you want to ride and, of those attractions, which ones will have the longest waits. I would plan on booking my LL's based on popularity. For example, it seems like Jungle Cruise and Peter Pan both get pushed out to even return times the quickest (not sure if this is still the case or not). If those rides area must-dos for you, I would book one of them first. You could rope drop the other and ensure a short line for both if that sounds nice! After booking that first ride, you can track the return times and see what rides are getting pushed out farther faster. If you book a ride whose return time is more than 2-hours away, you can book another one after 120 minutes have elapsed.

If you are planning to stack rides for an evening arrival, when your 2-hour cool down period is over and you're ready to book your next, don't immediately take what you see at first. Especially if what's being offered to you isn't necessarily what you want, spend a minute or two refreshing the page to see if something better pops up. Rides that were once unavailable may show sudden availability OR a ride that has too late of a return time might suddenly show an earlier return time after a bit of refreshing. I've had Test Track, Remy, Big Thunder, and Navi River Journey all suddenly show up and/or post an earlier return time just because I was a bit patient and spent a few minutes refreshing.

I am interested as well- what can I do to get a fell for how this works before our trip?

I am arriving this weekend and my first park is Sunday at MK. I have tried practicing with the MDE app, but it won't allow me past my group of 2. I get the not eligible page so I'm unable to practice. Does anyone have some advice?
TIA!
Daisy
You don't practice by actually booking attractions. You practice by looking at available return times at different times during the day.
For example, if I look at DHS right now. I can see that Smuggler's Run has a 7:25PM return time. I would then look again at 6PM to see what's available then.
It's already 4PM Disney time, so there isn't really good stacking potential right now.

I’m not 100% sure, but I think that you can only book the second genie+ 2 hours after park opens to the general public. So if early entry is 8:30, but it opens to non resort guests at 9, your next booking would be available at 11.

Yesterday I was playing along at home practicing and making a plan for Hollywood Studios. This is exactly how it played out. I just wasnt sure if I could squeeze in more LLs after scanning into each attraction. After stalking the app for several days I kind of got the hang of what attractions fill up the fastest to allow for something that looks similar to this to work out.

I am sorry but I am a bit confused. How can you practice at home I thought you only have access to when you are registered at a park. Could you please explain how you were able to practice. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!