St. Thomas - what to see and do

WDWLVR

<font color=green>DVC @ The Boardwalk</font><br><f
St. Thomas is a stop on Disney's 7 day Eastern Cruises. What are your favorite things to do? Disney excursions or on your own. Share it here with your fellow cruisers!

****** UPDATED 5/31/09 ******

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING EXCURSIONS WILL NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE THROUGH DCL AS OF 6/5/09:

Atlantis Submarine Adventure - This Tour Will No Longer Be Available Beginning 6/1/2009

St. Thomas Island Tour - This Tour Will No Longer Be Available Beginning 6/5/2009

Coral World Ocean & Island Drive - This Tour Will No Longer Be Available Beginning 6/5/2009

Historical St. Thomas Walking Tour - This Tour Will No Longer Be Available Beginning 6/5/2009

This post has been updated to include many reviews that are not posted on this thread from the past year on the main cruise forum. Click on the links to see specific reviews. If you would like a review that you have posted on the boards or in a trip report included in this listing, please PM one of the moderators on this forum to have it added.

Butterfly Farm - **

Captain Nautica - :goodvibes , **

Coki Beach - **, **

Coral World / Sea Lion - **

Coral World / Sea Trekkin - COUPON!, **, **, **, With pictures

Dolphins in Tortola- :(, **, **, **, **

Doubloon Sail and Snorkel - **, **, **, **, **, **, With pictures

Golfing - Mahogany Run Course, Website. **, ****, **

Island Girl - Private Charter - **

Island Marketing Tours - On own

Magens Beach - **, **, **, **, **

Rumbaba Charters - **, **

Sonny Listen Tour - **

St. Johns - **, **, **

St. Maarten Tours - On own

Trunk Bay - **

WE love to just take a taxi, and go to Megan's Bay/Beach. We find this such an early port with immigration, that it is great to sit back and enjoy the beautiful beaches.. :cloud9:

We did a book it ourself tour with "Sonny Listen", on the recommendation of others on our cruise. It was fun, but I wouldn't do it again, and here's why.

You go ashore, the tour operator meets you, leads you to their truck, so you'll know where to meet it, takes your fee, and let's you stash your beach stuff in their locked vehicle. Then you go off shopping for a couple hours.

At noon, you meet the truck for a hair raising tour of the island and views that takes an hour and a half or two hours - depending on the traffic, which is horrible. Finally, you get to a beach, where they leave you for about two hours, before coming to collect you to return to the ship.

I don't shop - don't do jewelry - sick to death of tee shirts and there wasn't much else. Spending all that time in the crowded downtown was wasting energy in the best part of the day.

You're on your own for lunch and no idea where to go that's good - we paid WAY too much for too little.

I NEVER have to do the sightseeing portion of the tour again. Yes, the sights WERE beautiful but the continual jouncing was exhausting and I couldn't hear/understand a word that was said because the driver was eating the mike.

By the time we got to the beach, we were concerned about getting back to the ship by 'all aboard' and exhausted besides. I would MUCH rather have done the sightseeing at 10 am, then the beach from 11 - 2 and then ended up back in town last to either shop or go back to the ship.

So we skipped the beach which was what I had REALLY wanted to do most, and returned to the ship, slightly sick from the horrible driving, and with very tired ears from the continual rendition of "every day of the weeeeeeeek". NEVER AGAIN, for us, although some of our fellow DISers LOVED it.

We took a taxi over to Megans Bay, it is beautiful and relaxing there. I was tired from being up at the crack of dawn for immigration so I napped at the beach!

Last time we were in St. Thomas (December 2004) we did Coral World on our own. We had signed up on the website for Sea Trekkin. This is an experience where you wear a special diving helmet, gloves and booties and you walk around under water following a special trail. You have a scuba diver with you to point out things and to bring you things to experience like sea urchins. The best part of the tour is you don't have to be certified to do it and you can even wear glasses under the helmet. We really loved it!

Coki beach is right next door if you want to spend time at the beach.

It was very easy to get a cab from the ship over to Coral World and there were plenty of cabs heading back as well.

For our upcoming trip to St. Thomas, we've decided to book a daysail with Rumbaba Charters http://rumbabacharters.com/.

On all of our previous visits to St. Thomas, we have not visited St. Johns. We wanted to do that this year but it seemed that the trip there and back would consume more time than enjoying the beach there. I did research at Cruise Critic and decided to book with Capt. Bobby! I don't think I'll be disappointed either.

Our excursion will be intimate -- only 6 people max (we're four people and may be alone). We will determine our exact schedule (six hours). Our lunch will be prepared by them - Choices include fresh local ahi tuna or mahi mahi, chicken or filet mignon. All are grilled to order and you may each choose to your liking. We'll also have breakfast provided to us -- banana muffins made with bananas grown in their own backyard. They will also provide whatever drinks you want -- adult and otherwise.

I'll give a complete review once we return in early March.

We've done the Doubloon twice with children and LOVED this excursion. The crew is awesome - involving the children during the sail. They allow the children to help raise the sails and allow them to steer too. The crew will also take your underwater camera down to photograph coral and fish for you.

I agree with the Doubloon Sail and Snorkle. Excellent time. Will do it again.

Steve

Is the Doubloon sail a Disney excursion? If so, what is the age limit for children? It seems like most things are 5 & up and our kids are only 3 & 4. We're debating doing a private 1/2 day daysail with them but can't seem to get any information on whether children that young would like it.

How did you sign up for the Doubloon? I tried to look up their website, but all it had were some pictures, no info on age or price or how to register? thanks.

WDWLVR said:
Last time we were in St. Thomas (December 2004) we did Coral World on our own. We had signed up on the website for Sea Trekkin. This is an experience where you wear a special diving helmet, gloves and booties and you walk around under water following a special trail. You have a scuba diver with you to point out things and to bring you things to experience like sea urchins. The best part of the tour is you don't have to be certified to do it and you can even wear glasses under the helmet. We really loved it!

Coki beach is right next door if you want to spend time at the beach.

It was very easy to get a cab from the ship over to Coral World and there were plenty of cabs heading back as well.

That sounds great! I am going to look into this for my family! How did you get to Coral World?

PhotoLisa said:
For our upcoming trip to St. Thomas, we've decided to book a daysail with Rumbaba Charters http://rumbabacharters.com/.

On all of our previous visits to St. Thomas, we have not visited St. Johns. We wanted to do that this year but it seemed that the trip there and back would consume more time than enjoying the beach there. I did research at Cruise Critic and decided to book with Capt. Bobby! I don't think I'll be disappointed either.

Our excursion will be intimate -- only 6 people max (we're four people and may be alone). We will determine our exact schedule (six hours). Our lunch will be prepared by them - Choices include fresh local ahi tuna or mahi mahi, chicken or filet mignon. All are grilled to order and you may each choose to your liking. We'll also have breakfast provided to us -- banana muffins made with bananas grown in their own backyard. They will also provide whatever drinks you want -- adult and otherwise.

I'll give a complete review once we return in early March.

:wave: Please let me know how your excursion turns out. November will be our first trip to St.Thomas/St. John. I am trying to keep my eyes and ears open on what to do with our kids there. Bon Voyage! :boat:

S&D MOM said:
How did you sign up for the Doubloon? I tried to look up their website, but all it had were some pictures, no info on age or price or how to register? thanks.

When we did the Doubloon, we did it as a Disney excursion. From looking at their website, it appears they will only do bookings through cruiselines.

We didn't go to St. Thomas this year (2/2006) on our cruise but from personal experience with my granddaughter, I would say that a five year old can be coaxed into relaxing enough to see the wonderful below the surface world. Within 30 minutes, Jordan relaxed enough to be able to enjoy the underwater world.

According to the excursion page on Disney's site, 5 is the youngest age allowed.

Another vote for Doubloon they give you pirate tatoos how cool is that! Plus they take pics of you on baord and you can see them at their website at www.doubloon.com

I looked into what to do on St. T and became so overwhelmed that DH and I flew back for 7 nights. We could have stayed a month!!!

My vote for a cruise day, Coral World and Coki Beach. That is what we did when we cruised and after our week on St.T DH said that he'd do it again the next time we cruised even though we saw a lot of other cool stuff. We took a taxi over to CW, went in and got a locker, looked around for a little more than an hour. (I wanted to hit the beach!!) We got stuff from the locker, left stuff in the locker and went to the beach, swam, snorkled (GREAT SNORKEL SPOT RENT GEAR $10). I got cheeseburgers and pizza at a snack bar by CW. They are a very short walk apart. (compaired to anything at Castaway Cay, VERY SHORT WALK!!) We used restrooms at CW. They have a shower.

I posted a detailed description of places and pix a few weeks back on a thread about St.T. of things we liked. St. John is unbelievable. If anyone reading has been to St. T a time or two and not ventured over to St. John you have to do that next time. We are booked on a Western next time and I do not know when we'll get back to St. T on a cruise, as we are on the 2 year plan.

apsBurt-R5-E108.jpg

Coki Beach 4/5/06

APSBurt-R1-007-2.jpg

Trunk Bay, St. John 6/5/06

I agree with OP, St John is unbelievable. We have never been on a Disney cruise, but have visited St Thomas for 6 days in 2003 then stopped there with a different cruise line, not DCL, in 2004. I would highly recommend any excursion that included St John. It is an unspoiled, very undeveloped island, and is just breathtaking. The entire island was owned by the Rockerfellers (I believe), and donated to the govt. Therefore, it is very natural. When we visited for 6 days, we spent one entire day on St. John. We rented a jeep and explored the island. The US virgin islands are my second favorite place to visit (WDW being the first of course!). The best beach in my opinion is Trunk Bay.

This will be my 4th cruise but first with my kids. I am hesitant about just getting off the ship and jumping in a cab. We do want to spend the day at a beach. If we do the St. John thing, how much time would we actually have at the beach?

Wifey and I sailed with Captain Bobby and Karen in September 2005 on our 2nd DCL cruise. I can not say enough good things about them. They were friendly, accommodating, knowledgeable, good cooks and down right fun! We were fortunate enough to have the whole day sail to ourselves that day (SPOILED NOW).

My recommendation, have him take you to "Six-Butt Beach"!

We have done the Doubloon excursion and Capt. Nautica excursion through Disney. Both are excellent, althought we like Capt. Nautica a little better because you got to visit 3 sites, instead of one with the Doubloon. The Doubloon was great though. We have gone to Megan's Bay on our own and do not want to do that again. It was too crowded and the snorkeling is not good. If I went to the beach again, I would go to Sapphire Beach or Coki Beach. I would love to go to St. John, but do not want to do all of the traveling by taxi and ferry to get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter