Squirrels: Combat or Appeasement?

Cosmic

Mouseketeer
Planning our first Fort vacation for November, and I know you guys talk about the squirrels a lot. We've been camping a few times, and we haven't had problems with squirrels... until this past weekend in Delaware. On the weekend at the beginning of the trip, everything seemed fine. We saw the squirrels, but they didn't hang around too much. That all changed, however, when the campground emptied out on Monday and Tuesday. Presumably, the pickings got a lot slimmer (CG was only ~10% full). The squirrels were all over us. The grand finale was when one ate a whole through a mesh window in one of our tents. It was our first test run of our planned setup for the Fort, so I guess it was fitting to run into some squirrel activity?

Here's our setup:
- 8'x10' tent just for sleeping... no squirrels
- 10'x14' tent for fridge, electric griddle, electric kettle, clothes, sitting space, etc. Squirrel city.

We kept all non-fridge food in the trunk of our car, based on advice here. The problems, as far as I can tell, were probably food garbage and maybe cooking. A squirrel got my oatmeal cup from the garbage when one of the kids left the door open, and we were cooking lots of tasty-smelling things inside the tent that might have left a lingering invitation for the squirrels.

Moving the food garbage to the car somewhat regularly probably wouldn't be too hard (seems obvious as I'm typing this out), but do you guys think that will be enough? Do we have to cook outside? Do I need to slather the tent in squirrel repellant? Do I need to bribe the squirrels with a 10lb bag of sunflower seeds? This whole experience has made me fully aware that I'm going to be living in a tiny little shell of a tent, and leaving it for hours at a time while at the parks.

As far as I'm concerned, the rules to be 'squirrel safe' are the same as for being 'bear aware'. NO food, food prep items (including grills), trash, or smelly stuff of any kind out anywhere, including a tent. It should all be locked up in a car or bear box. You may want to either put the grill in the trunk or invest in a box to keep it in outside the tent at night. And the last thing before bed would be to take the day's garbage to the nearest can.

The problem is that squirrels are pretty canny and most of them already know that people and tents mean food.

We leave all of our cooking items outside on the picnic and folding table that we have, never seemed to bother any of it. We do keep a package of the cake loaf thing that you get at Wally Weird in our tent, in the same plastic container that it comes in and have not had a problem. We did open a jar of peanut butter on day and left it on the picnic table, when we got back there was little pieces of red lid everywhere from where they chewed through it. It just completely slipped my mind to put it in the car with the rest of the non-perishables.

Did you actually us the words "squirrel" and "combat"?

If you want to be entertaining then go for the "combat" option. Otherwise, you just need to keep your edibles in a container. The more you leave out or visible the more trouble you're gonna have. Just keep it all put up.

Snowmedic has been tenting at the Fort for quite a bit and if he can keep them out of his food then follow his advice.

Combat squirrels...LOL

What would constitute a "bear box" that does not get tied up a tree? Are my nonperishables going to cook inside a van parked at disney in 90*+ temps? The car will be like an oven.

Cosmic first where were you, Yogi Bear in Milford? Second Delaware is an open carry state so a Quad 50 will work if you choose combat method. I go a little more for the Daryl Dixon style. If that is not for you then i would do the following

Cook outside of the tent ( scents will permeate it and be an attractant)
Don't leave ANY food un-attended in the tent this same rule applies to any cooking gear and cleaning products ie dish soap and hand soaps
Clean up any and all spills and immediaely
We don't tent camp but do make frequent trips to the dumpster to get rid of any garbage that might attract the local chapter of the NSS

Cosmic first where were you, Yogi Bear in Milford? Second Delaware is an open carry state so a Quad 50 will work if you choose combat method. I go a little more for the Daryl Dixon style. If that is not for you then i would do the following

Cook outside of the tent ( scents will permeate it and be an attractant)
Don't leave ANY food un-attended in the tent this same rule applies to any cooking gear and cleaning products ie dish soap and hand soaps
Clean up any and all spills and immediaely
We don't tent camp but do make frequent trips to the dumpster to get rid of any garbage that might attract the local chapter of the NSS
We were not that far away (although can you be far away in Delaware?)... Trap Pond. Good to know that DE is so open, if want to take this to the "next level". In New York, you pretty much need the bishop to intercede on your behalf!

@tiggerdad You weren't there! You don't know! :P

Looks like we'll be cooking out on the table and making more garbage runs.

Combat or appeasement? Try starvation. As long as you leave no food/food residue/food scraps outside, they should leave you alone.

We tent camped two years ago at Fort Wilderness, without cooking our own meals, but we did keep a few clean snacks (mostly fruit snacks & granola bars) in our tightly zipped tent, with no problems from the squirrels. We did not eat in our tent or at the campsite, though.

Also keep toothpaste locked away. I also remembered reading this.....
Another very interesting tip to keep animals away from campsite is to use aromatic fabric softener. It is quite strange but it is true that fragrance of fabric softener keeps animals away as they do not like it. So bring those sheets and pillows to camp that have been soaked in fabric softeners. Fabric softeners act as animal repellent so you can also use them on your sleeping bags and tent. The strong fragrance of softener will also cover up smell of food and thus keep animals away from campsite.

From.... https://beingoutside.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/tips-to-keep-animals-away-from-campsite/

Are my nonperishables going to cook inside a van parked at disney in 90*+ temps? The car will be like an oven.

I would say anything that does not need to be in a cooler will be fine in the back of the van. We have kept chips, cookies, bread, and some canned goods in the back of the car and everything was fine. We do open the hatch in the mornings while we are up making breakfast, and at night when doing dinner to help cool down. If you have a tote that you could bring, at home drill a couple of holes through the lid into the rim of the tote, then you could use zip ties or wire or something to secure the lid on to the tote. If you don't have room a tote, you could always pack some of your gear into it then you would have it when you get there to put your non-perishables in when you go shopping.

Looks like we'll be cooking out on the table and making more garbage runs.

We hang a plastic grocery bag from our ez-up and all the trash goes in there, then before we leave the site, even to just go to the CS and back we through it away.

016 copy.jpg

It is a little hard to see, on the left side of the picnic table is our propane camp stove then on the white folding table is our electric griddle, crock pot, and our electric tea kettles for heating up the dish water, the dish basins are there also. We have the two coolers, one for drinks and the other for food. Then in the gray tote under the folding table is our extra dishes, pots, pans and other things. The coolers are not secured with bungees or anything.

I make sure I have plenty of peanuts to feed them. Some are brave enough to take from my hand. They are the cutest thing to watch. We feed them in our back yard. right now approx. 3 eating the food we put out for them. We never have any problems.

This is an amusing thread. Bear boxes for squirrels? :squirrel: They are honestly not that strong. Leave your perishables in a cooler and your non-perishables in a tote that clips shut. We've never had a problem at the Fort. The only commando squirrels I've seen are at the parks, raiding the stroller parking. Those know how to open diaper bags and help themselves to snacks. :tongue:

What would constitute a "bear box" that does not get tied up a tree? Are my nonperishables going to cook inside a van parked at disney in 90*+ temps? The car will be like an oven.
Coolers...will do just fine.

There is no need to put stuff up in "bear boxes". They are mischievous not saber toothed. Normal totes will do just fine.

The Master has spoken :darth:
giphy.gif

We did have a squirrel chew into a tupperware container of GORP in Lorton, VA once. The tougher you make it for them the better. I don't know that I'd go as far as a bear box, but locking pretty much everything away in the car when not at the site is a good idea. It is cute and funny until you have to throw out a week's worth of whatever it was because it is contaminated with squirrel spit.

Do I need to bribe the squirrels with a 10lb bag of sunflower seeds?
If you go this route.... Bribe them on someone elses site! :D Preferably 2 or more away... (Your not going to be there in Mid-June are you? If so, I want to make sure I am not too close. :lmao: )

It is quite strange but it is true that fragrance of fabric softener keeps animals away as they do not like it.
Sadly, it also keeps ME away. I hate fabric softener. First, most people don't realize it, but fabric softener waterproofs the clothes (or towels, blankets, etc..) and it actually aids in "Wearing" it down sooner. Certainly opposed tot he natural fabric softener (of hanging it on the line. Love THAT fragrance).

Secondly.... fabric softener is just "Chemicals" to soften (and waterproof) your clothes.

Now for those campers (and more for "Hikers") all those special clothes for "Wicking" moisture away (socks, under clothes, etc...) most (if you read the directions) also tell you NOT to use fabric Softener because of this "Waterproofing" effect.

I will say, though that we do use "Dryer Sheets" inside our RV to help keep "Rodents" away while in storage mode (Winterized) although we really don't have that big of a Rodent issue (cross our fingers).

I suppose if I was tent camping and had an issue, I could do something with the Fabric softener on the "Perimeter" of the site (maybe with a spray bottle) to help eliminate them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter