Springtime Surprise Weekend (April 13-16, 2023)

My friend did the Princess Challenge and her bib read D | E. :D
Double post
I know the 10k/half has two numbers & dopey you get one for 5k/10k and one for half/full so I was just curious if you got three numbers, one number for 5k and one for 10k/10m or a separate bib for 5k than the 10k/10m one

Yes, just 1 bib for the Springtime challenge. My bib from last year has just one corral listed, I don’t know how they handle it if someone chooses varied paces for their different races (my pace choices were all the same for the 3 races)
I might get two different corrals. Had 8-10 min as estimated pace for the shorter races, forgot to put in PoT for the ten miler though.

I’m happy to see it’s the same 10-miler course as last year! It wound up being a great course and the kinda shaky theme was executed beyond what I could have imagined: they should be able to go all out with a Toy Story theme. Running through Batuu and Tory Storyland was a lot of fun.

I started in the back of whatever was the first corral without PoT required and had virtually no issues with course crowding. No clue if this year’s field will be the same size, but if it’s about the same, and they release runners similarly, crowding shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Here’s hoping!
As a back of the pack runner last year, I have some insight. We registered for the 10K and 10 mile races last year, but I was having some knee issues, so I knew I couldn’t complete both races.

During the 10K, I foolishly entered the corral sort of needing a bathroom, and by the time the race started, I was getting desperate. (I didn’t head to the trees …. I’ve seen those white behinds lit up by passing busses - no thanks!) I really couldn’t risk running, so by the time we FINALLY got to the 1st set of porta-potties, we were even with the balloon ladies. They saw me peel off and warned me about getting swept, but it could not wait. (Oh, and to the guy who yelled at me when I opened his porta-potty - sorry, dude, but you’re supposed to lock the door so people know it’s occupied.)

After some much needed relief, I exited the portapotty, and somehow didn’t get swept. I think they just weren’t expecting to sweep anyone yet? Not knowing where else to go, I ran the course and caught up to and then passed the balloon ladies, and caught up to my spouse. We never put on a lot of speed, so we were never that far from the balloon ladies. The field was super crowded, and everybody had to slow down to a walk in a few places. (Looking at you, super slippery boardwalk by the yacht club.). I heard the balloon ladies comment that they were behind pace, but there was really nothing to be done- there just wasn’t enough room.

The next day for the 10 mile they definitely allowed more time between the corrals being released, and I really think the balloon ladies said something ( at least one was the same from the 10K, because they recognized me.)

So, if someone took notes last year, or the balloon ladies are the same as last year and have input into corral releases, then it should be good.

I’m just hoping to make it as far as TOT this year (my knees are even worse). Last year I meant to save my knees for the 10m, but finished The 10K instead, and kept pushing myself on the 10m (get to a character, get to ToT, get to 5 mile mark…). I should have stopped last year at the med tent after TOT, because there was a ramp of doom shortly after the 5 mile point. That ramp is where the balloon ladies passed me. I hate those ramps, and since I know my knees don’t have 10 miles in them, I’m glad I know where to bail. I’d like to at least make it halfway, but the ramp is a no-go, and it’s probably a bad idea to do a u-turn at the 5 mile mark to head backwards!

Since I know I can’t finish, maybe I will stop for characters. Not sure if they can beat last year’s Donald in a top hat, though!

Honestly the more I think about it. At least for me. I’m glad the parks are front loaded because it means I can get the characters and things like that before I lose some time on the hills on the back half of the course.

Quick question about yoga. They say the parking lot won't open until 4am. At Princess they said the same thing about the transportation center yet when I got there prior to the advertised time there was already a huge line. Do they not allow cars in through the payment kiosks into the parking lot or how does that work? Anyone know? After our first yoga where the bus didn't show up after we had been waiting for over 20 minutes and we caught a ride with a super sweet stranger and felt stressed over the whole thing we usually uber so just trying to figure out timing.

Thanks!

Quick question about yoga. They say the parking lot won't open until 4am. At Princess they said the same thing about the transportation center yet when I got there prior to the advertised time there was already a huge line. Do they not allow cars in through the payment kiosks into the parking lot or how does that work? Anyone know? After our first yoga where the bus didn't show up after we had been waiting for over 20 minutes and we caught a ride with a super sweet stranger and felt stressed over the whole thing we usually uber so just trying to figure out timing.

Thanks!
Those parking toll plazas never technically close. They just don't want an influx of people before they are ready.

I saw a pic of the 5K shirt from a virtual runner who got their box, has anyone seen the other 3 yet? Just a little impatient over here haha

I am so sorry if this has been asked but I'll be on my plane at the time the virtual queue opens. Can I join the queue once I land? Can I just show up near the end of the day as a walk up? Should I get someone back home to try and get me into the queue on my behalf?

I am so sorry if this has been asked but I'll be on my plane at the time the virtual queue opens. Can I join the queue once I land? Can I just show up near the end of the day as a walk up? Should I get someone back home to try and get me into the queue on my behalf?
You have to be within 45 miles of WDW to join the VQ, so you’ll have to do it when you land. But depending on when you arrive, they might have it open to walk-ups, it all depends on how well they‘re moving people through

Delete (cause I'm way behind in a thread that applies to a race I'm not doing!)

Last edited:
This is kind of random but does anyone know if the Minnie vans will be bringing spectators from resorts to the finish line? In the event guide this year, it says the busses start at 6:30 from the resort to the finish. Last year, the event guide said there would be busses from the resorts to the finish starting at 6 for the 10 miler and my mom had to end up scrambling to get a cab instead because a bus never showed up (the front desk staff at Boardwalk was absolutely wonderful in helping her though!) I'll be finishing the 10 miler before the 6:30am bus from the resort would get to the finish. She said she'd come with me on the earlier busses and just hang out, but that's so early and I'd feel bad. Also, I'd lover for her to be able to see me at mile 3 at Boardwalk and then be able to get to the finish line, though I'm unsure if that is doable with road closures. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited:
This is kind of random but does anyone know if the Minnie vans will be bringing spectators from resorts to the finish line? In the event guide this year, it says they start at 6:30 from the resort to the finish. Last year, the event guide said there would be busses from the resorts to the finish starting at 6 for the 10 miler and my mom had to end up scrambling to get a cab instead because a bus never showed up (the front desk staff at Boardwalk was absolutely wonderful in helping her though!) I'll be finishing the 10 miler before the 6:30am bus from the resort would get to the finish. She said she'd come with me on the earlier busses and just hang out, but that's so early and I'd feel bad. Also, I'd lover for her to be able to see me at mile 3 at Boardwalk and then be able to get to the finish line, though I'm unsure if that is doable with road closures. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Here is the road closure map for the 10 miler:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...ll=28.377298444133313,-81.55359858018804&z=16

It seems to me that the route from Boardwalk to EPCOT parking lot is open and never closed. So it seems like if you want your mom to get to the finish line before 6:30am, then she should plan on taking a taxi/uber/lyft. The website for the Minnie Van says they don't start running until 6:30am as well. However, I recollect at a recent race weekend they said they were going to run them earlier. Don't know whether that was going to continue.

A different idea is for her to take one of the last runDisney race transportation buses. They run until about 4:45-5:00am. So she doesn't have to take the same bus as you and could come later. She would likely arrive to the finish with plenty of time to spare.

As for getting from the 3 mile mark (let's call it 2.5 miles to put you closest to the ride pick up spot outside Boardwalk), and then to the finish line. I'll assume the max time of 90 min for a finish (start at 5am and finish at 6:30am). So that's a 9 min/mile for 10 miles. That puts you at mile 2.5 at 5:25am. She then has to walk to the Boardwalk entrance (+5 min). Catch a vehicle (+15 min?). Transport to EPCOT (+15 min). Get from the drop-off through security and to the finish line (+13 min for 1km walk at 20 min/mile). So that's an estimated 48 min from Mile 2.5 to finish line spectating under good conditions. So in theory, if you did a 9 min/mile, then she should probably beat you from Mile 2.5 to the finish line. At 48 min vs 7.5 miles, you'd have to do about a 6:30 min/mile for her not to beat you there. So mathematically, it seems plausible. But it does carry risk that she may not make it in time. So which is more important? Seeing you at Mile 2.5 or seeing you at the finish?

Here is the road closure map for the 10 miler:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=13sbVmE95vCKzhJp0cD3iq7XqN5Ys8gU&ll=28.377298444133313,-81.55359858018804&z=16

It seems to me that the route from Boardwalk to EPCOT parking lot is open and never closed. So it seems like if you want your mom to get to the finish line before 6:30am, then she should plan on taking a taxi/uber/lyft. The website for the Minnie Van says they don't start running until 6:30am as well. However, I recollect at a recent race weekend they said they were going to run them earlier. Don't know whether that was going to continue.

A different idea is for her to take one of the last runDisney race transportation buses. They run until about 4:45-5:00am. So she doesn't have to take the same bus as you and could come later. She would likely arrive to the finish with plenty of time to spare.

As for getting from the 3 mile mark (let's call it 2.5 miles to put you closest to the ride pick up spot outside Boardwalk), and then to the finish line. I'll assume the max time of 90 min for a finish (start at 5am and finish at 6:30am). So that's a 9 min/mile for 10 miles. That puts you at mile 2.5 at 5:25am. She then has to walk to the Boardwalk entrance (+5 min). Catch a vehicle (+15 min?). Transport to EPCOT (+15 min). Get from the drop-off through security and to the finish line (+13 min for 1km walk at 20 min/mile). So that's an estimated 48 min from Mile 2.5 to finish line spectating under good conditions. So in theory, if you did a 9 min/mile, then she should probably beat you from Mile 2.5 to the finish line. At 48 min vs 7.5 miles, you'd have to do about a 6:30 min/mile for her not to beat you there. So mathematically, it seems plausible. But it does carry risk that she may not make it in time. So which is more important? Seeing you at Mile 2.5 or seeing you at the finish?
Thanks! I'll talk to her and see what she wants to do, but it's good to know that it doesn't seem like road closures should be an issue. And I'll likely be in the first corral out, so we may try and schedule an uber or Minnie Van so she doesn't have to wait after calling one and should likely be able to make it to the finish on time

This is kind of random but does anyone know if the Minnie vans will be bringing spectators from resorts to the finish line? In the event guide this year, it says the busses start at 6:30 from the resort to the finish. Last year, the event guide said there would be busses from the resorts to the finish starting at 6 for the 10 miler and my mom had to end up scrambling to get a cab instead because a bus never showed up (the front desk staff at Boardwalk was absolutely wonderful in helping her though!) I'll be finishing the 10 miler before the 6:30am bus from the resort would get to the finish. She said she'd come with me on the earlier busses and just hang out, but that's so early and I'd feel bad. Also, I'd lover for her to be able to see me at mile 3 at Boardwalk and then be able to get to the finish line, though I'm unsure if that is doable with road closures. Any thoughts/suggestions?
I am also wondering the same thing. My mom would like to see us finish, we will be at Caribbean Beach but we are hoping to finish the race before 6:30 so she would not be able to make it by bus…
We will have a car but is it easier with rideshare / taxis considering the road closures?
So excited - we will be there in 10 days exactly!!!

I have a few questions about the race as I haven't done a Disney race in almost 20 years. Running the 10 miler.

1. How empty will the expo be at 2pm on Saturday? I have to wait out my kiddos morning baseball game before we drive over from Tampa. (I wish there was a later pick up option for those localish).
2. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside, thinking about taking the bus but now thinking driving as it as it looks to be around the corner with no closures to get there. Which would you do?
3. How early do you really have to be there before your corral goes? (assuming transportation could affect this)
4. Pictures...how does this work? I'm an AP do I need to wear my magic band to get the pictures?

I have a few questions about the race as I haven't done a Disney race in almost 20 years. Running the 10 miler.

1. How empty will the expo be at 2pm on Saturday? I have to wait out my kiddos morning baseball game before we drive over from Tampa. (I wish there was a later pick up option for those localish).
2. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside, thinking about taking the bus but now thinking driving as it as it looks to be around the corner with no closures to get there. Which would you do?
3. How early do you really have to be there before your corral goes? (assuming transportation could affect this)
4. Pictures...how does this work? I'm an AP do I need to wear my magic band to get the pictures?
I can't answer all of these but I'll take a crack at a few.

1. It will be empty, you probably won't have to wait in line for anything. Some of the merchandise may be sold out, though.
2. I've only ever taken the bus, so I can't help with this one.
3. It depends on which corral you're in and how much you care about being towards the front of it. Corral A closes 20 min before race start (so 4:40am), corral B closes 10 min prior to race start. If you show up after your corral is closes youd just fall back and join a later corral. If it's important for you to be at the front of your corral I'd be there by 3:30 at the latest. Others who have more race experience than my measly two races should weigh in with better opinions, though. :)
4. There will be instructions on the back of your bib for linking to your photos. I don't think you need a magic band, it's all done by your bib number (but I haven't managed to stop for a character yet, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter