Spring Break and a Magic CC Cabin upgrade

umbrelladrink200

Earning My Ears
Many of you who are also apart of the DVCFan Facebook Group, may have seen some of what follows. I did a daily quick hit of some of the things we experienced during our Spring Break trip…and many of you enjoyed it, which I appreciate dearly. I’ve never had such a response to my writings and validation is important.

What follows here is a sum up of our trip, some of which you can read on the Facebook Group page and others are additions here. I’ll end with some witty observations made over the course of our 8 night stay over 5 hotels. Yes, you read that right, 5 hotels in 8 days. We took split staying to a whole new level. This split stay also resulted in not one, but two room upgrades…including a two night stay at the Cabins in Copper Creek.

As I look back on this week, I’m both elated and exhausted...but most of all, glad to be traveling and in the parks again. That, above anything else, is the key takeaway. Is it perfect? No, there are things missing, but I knew I was missing being at Disney and after this week, I guess I didn’t really realize how much.

If I had any “buyer’s remorse” about purchasing a DVC contract (well...three DVC contracts in four months, if I’m being honest), it evaporated this week. I have two new goals. 1) To stay at every DVC resort and 2) To have enough points to live in a Copper Creek Cabin for the rest of my days. One of those is probably more realistic than the other.

I also have to note, before we move on, how stellar the cast members were during our entire trip. They seem genuinely excited to be back to work and with the guests. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but overwhelmingly, we had good experiences. The staff and management team are at Wilderness Lodge are as stellar as they come. We ate dinner at Whispering Canyon and our waiter, Chris, showed us his first cast member ID card that he still carries in his wallet proudly, showing he’s been a cast member for over 40 years. He is genuinely proud to be a waiter at Disney Hotel and that level of commitment is rare in this day and age. I spent some time talking with one of the resort managers at Wilderness Lodge and I passed on those same compliments to him. I can’t say the same for our experience at Universal.

Our trip took us from The Swan and Dolphin, to Pop Century, to Old Key West to Copper Creek and finally, to Royal Pacific at Universal. Why do you ask? It’s a really long story and probably deserving of its own post, but to sum up, we didn’t want to blow our DVC points for the first night, as we had a late arrival and an early day at Epcot. I had Marriott rewards points and booked at The Dolphin for that reason alone. Having said that, it was fine. For a price per night room that was cheaper than Pop Century and walking distance to Epcot, it was points well spent; however, I can’t see many reasons to return. Pop Century was a booking made with cash and we did it to spend time with friends staying there and to test out the Skyliner, as we hadn’t before. Also, we had to book Rise of the Resistance early the next morning and it was just easier. We booked a studio at Old Key West for the next two nights and upon arrival, were blown away that we had been upgraded to a 2 bedroom. The next two nights, we had booked a one bedroom at Copper Creek, again to discover we had been upgraded to a Cabin for the next two nights.

I originally was going to do a review of each of the hotels, but there really is no comparison between The Dolphin and The Cabins at Copper Creek. It’s like comparing a Tesla Model X to your grandmother’s station wagon. So, since the theme of this thread is DVC, we will limit it to that. Quickly though, The Dolphin was fine for what it was. Pop Century hits the mark its aiming for, which is a cheap room at a Disney hotel and nothing more. The Skyliner does add value there though, to be sure. Universal was actually my least favorite and would not return there…except they have that Express Pass/front of the line thing included and that’s work staying at a Motel 6 under a freeway to obtain. (Seriously, we did the math and tracked every ride…it saved us 11 hours, no exaggeration, of waiting in lines).

Even within the DVC comparisons, it’s not really fair to compare a two bedroom villa at Old Key West with a Cabin at Copper Creek. They are just aren’t the same experience. Everything everyone has said within the DVCFan community, the DIS community and the blogs and vlogs is absolutely true. There is no place anywhere in Walt Disney World…and very few places in the United States, that compares to the serenity, the beauty and the seclusion of a Cabin at Copper Creek. From the private hot tub to the TV built into the master bathroom mirror, it’s on a whole level of its own. I live in Utah. There is no shortage of secluded cabins in the mountains here. At the same time, this isn’t that. It’s a private cabin in the middle of Walt Disney World and there is something inherently special about that.

Wilderness Lodge, as a whole, is gorgeous. The detail, the layout, that lobby, the restaurants and Geyser Point, the pool…there’s very little not to love. The staff, as mentioned above, was nearly above reproach and the boat ride to the Magic Kingdom is as good as it gets.

The two bedroom villa at Old Key West was obviously not on the level as the Cabins of Copper Creek, but that doesn’t take away from its beauty and charm. Again, comparing the two just isn’t a fair comparison. However, we were in building 62, which is a short walk across the street from the main pool and Hospitality House, with a lake view. The two bedroom villas at Old Key West are massive. Like run laps in the living room massive. I would stay here every single time and the point cost is so reasonable, compared to many of the other resorts. The people at Old Key West are so nice. The staff is so nice. The lizards are so nice. The drinks are so nice. There isn’t anything not to like about Old Key West.

While comparing the rooms between the two may not be fair, I think it is fair to compare the resorts as a whole. For example, we enjoyed the pool at Old Key West far more than we did at Wilderness Lodge/Copper Creek. The water slide was more fun, it was less crowded, it was a better experience overall. Conversely, there are few places in this world more inviting and serene than the lounge at Geyer Point/Wilderness Lodge. The same cannot be said for the tiny closet that is the Gurgling Suitcase at Old Key West. The dining options are far better at Wilderness Lodge. Olivias at Old Key West was fine, but paled in comparison…both in service and in quality…to Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge.

And while Wilderness Lodge isn’t necessarily my thing, from a purely aesthetic point of view, it’s hard not to love. I’m from Utah and being in Wilderness Lodge was pleasant, but not necessarily an escape for me. If I want the mountains and the design aspects of this resort, I can drive 40 minutes in any direction and have that. Old Key West was much more my jam, from a personal point of view, which isn’t taking away anything from either resort. One’s not necessarily better than the other, each has their own elements, quirks and things to love, and I’d gladly go to either again.

My overall impression of Disney World during these pandemic times is that it is unusual to be sure, but still magical in nearly every way. Were there things missing? Sure. At the same time, some of those missing things paid off in other ways. For example, while there were no nighttime fireworks or shows to keep people in the park later, the flipside to that coin was that after 6 or 7pm, the park was relatively empty and we felt like we had the World Showcase, Adventureland/Frontierland and Sunset Boulevard essentially to ourselves. It was nice to get photos without a bunch of people in them. It was nice to snack or drink around World Showcase and not have to wait in long lines. It was peaceful, which is to say, it had a magic of its own. I feel like I’m in the minority here, but I far and away prefer the character cavalcades to the parades. You don’t have to camp for a spot, they magically appear at random times, there are a boat load of characters to take pictures of and you can watch from wherever you are standing. They could mix them up a little maybe, but overall, I feel like they are a better experience overall.

Disney’s mobile ordering is pretty well dialed in, in my opinion. It’s simple and relatively fast. This isn’t the case at Universal, whose mobile order is a train wreck. However, Universal’s refillable mug program is on point and I still can’t believe Disney is fighting this one.

Before I move into my one-hit musings that were so popular on the Facebook Group, I’d just like to reiterate that even during pandemic times, a bad day at Disney is better than a good day at work and we enjoyed every minute of this vacation, despite spring break crowds and longer lines. It was great being “home” for the first time as a DVC member and they probably ruined me for any other future stay…but I’m fine with it.

Disclaimer: The following musings are for fun and should not be taken literally. Don't take things so seriously, its a short life and a little laughter is the best kind of medicine.
  • We’ve always been Magic Express people and I get the frustration of its ending. However, this trip we used a town-car service and I happily bid adieu to the busses. Never again. From deplane to Frozen Ever After, including dropping our bags at the hotel was 84 minutes.
  • First time staying in the Epcot resort area. Going through the second entrance at Epcot is its own kind of magic...until you are watching the Skyliner go by and you walk into a sign.
  • I’m five for five at Chefs de France. Never had a bad experience and it’s become a favorite.
  • Trattoria al Forno is the best breakfast on property...maybe even the world, despite dropping your phone in ketchup.
  • The Imagination Pavilion and all the things within should have been priority one for refurb. It’s really not good.
  • As a proud Tesla owner, Tesla needs to take over and redo Test Track. They are working on 20 year old tech here. Live in the now.
  • The Skyliner is way better than the other ways to travel. Until they invent the hoverboard.
  • I live in a desert climate. It’s hot in the summer. Like really hot. But the weather in the deserts of Utah...and the surface of the sun for the matter...do not remotely compare to Toy Story Land.
  • The 100% best thing about Covid restrictions is the fact that you don’t have to sit through ride pre-shows anymore. Especially the Flights of Passage one…
  • All wait times posted have been exaggerated by a good 15 minutes...except Dinosaur. Eff that ride. I love it but a little less today than before
  • My only experience with a pool slide at Disney is at Port Orleans, but the one at Old Key West was surprisingly fun. Despite almost having a wardrobe malfunction. It’s important to test new swimsuits prior to being in public.
  • Uber and Lyft fares down here are a lot like Russian Roulette. Rides from Copper Creek to Universal have ranged from $28 to $157.
  • The Country Bear Jamboree reminds me of when I used to put my dads Ozzy Osborne cassette tape into my Teddy Ruxpin and have it play Crazy Train.
  • Splash Mountain is still my favorite ride at Magic Kingdom, but the social distancing queue is like when you’re running in a dream and can’t get to the thing you’re running to.
  • Loungefly needs a guys line. They’d have all my money.
  • I have a magic band problem...not that they don’t work, but in the way that I buy them all.
  • The new security scanning thing is pretty much the best invention ever
  • Big Thunder had a 40 minute wait and it was 6 minutes. Splash Mountain had a 75 minute wait and it was 4 days. Or so it felt.
  • Geyser Point at sunset is probably the best place I’ve ever sat at sunset in Walt Disney World.
  • Disney World needs better pizza. It’s not hard to do.
  • It doesn’t matter how many times we’ve exited into the gift shop at Rock n Roller Coaster, my friend is like Indiana Jones searching for the one treasure she’s never found, despite the plethora of trips we’ve made before.
  • See #21, except Tower of Terror.
  • See #23, except Star Tours
  • I’ve seen the lizards. And the rabbits and the squirrels. No one ever posted about the “frogs” at Copper Creek. They are everywhere. Including on my teenagers leg. And then the other leg. And then my leg. There was screaming.
  • Most people are pretty damn awesome, but those that come to Disney forgetting it’s a place for families need to have a shot or a Valium or something. No one likes to hear a kid have a meltdown, but it happens and it’s often out of the control of the parents. They are already embarrassed. They don’t need you being a ******* on top of it.
  • Going from Pop Century to a DVC is a lot like moving out of your first apartment and into your own house for the first time. It’s new, it’s bigger and it’s better. Conversely, leaving DVC and going to a Universal hotel is a lot like moving back into your parent’s basement after you’ve moved out. It’s clean, it’s safe, but there’s nowhere to put your stuff.
  • Universal’s Express is worth one of your children...and by that I mean selling one of them to pay for it if necessary. Of course I’m kidding...but also not. Seriously tho, the nerd in me tracked the Express Pass. I recorded the posted wait times compared with our actual time in line. For example: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey had a posted 55 minute wait time. We waited six minutes with Express. Add up all the rides we rode and Express saved us (this is not an exaggeration) 11.56 hours of standing in line. When Disney finally gets around to this, they can have both my kids. It’s too hard to choose a favorite anyway.
  • I don’t want to go home, but I will be back in five weeks. I should see a therapist probably. But Disney is more fun
  • It was a first time thing for me to watch the DVCFan show, the Tuesday live DisUnplugged Show and CawfeeTalk from the actual parks. It was like being in the live studio audience.
  • Anyone who says Figment is the worst ride in Orlando has not yet ridden The Fast and the Furious ride at Universal.

I love this DVC community like family and am happy to share my thoughts with all of you. DVC is my new addiction and anytime I do something new, I go all in. It’s been a pleasure chatting and messaging some of you that have reached out. Happy traveling. Don’t be afraid to go, It’s still Disney.

Great report-and wow, what an upgrade. We actually loved our stay at universal last time-we did Hard Rock-and would happily stay there again. That Express Pass is magic.

Umbrelladrink - You're funny. From one proud Tesla owner to another... my husband & I 100% agree. We just gotta get Elon on the existing TT ride and he'd be like - "I can do this better." I can't even imagine how fast the last lap would go.... Heck, I feel my stomach in my throat in our Tesla.... if we put that on the TT course, I think people might actually upchuck their Mickey bar and popcorn! Just don't test the Cybertruck during the first 90% of the ride - or at least, don't take a hammer to the window in a "test." That might not go so well....

This was so much fun to read! Thanks for the great observations and congrats on the extra extra pixie dust with the room upgrades!

I definitely did a trip report in which I exposed the terrifying frog situation. It was TERRIFYING.

I definitely did a trip report in which I exposed the terrifying frog situation. It was TERRIFYING.
I loved the trip report! But yikes- this frog thing is a new one on me. My husband and 2 oldest girls are going to be staying at BRV in a little over a week... I can’t wait to see what happens 🐸😆

Most people are pretty damn awesome, but those that come to Disney forgetting it’s a place for families need to have a shot or a Valium or something. No one likes to hear a kid have a meltdown, but it happens and it’s often out of the control of the parents. They are already embarrassed. They don’t need you being a ******* on top of it.
All of your list is amazing, but this is so, so true. I once had a mom at disney stop when my kid was melting down, hug me, and tell me I'm doing a great job (obviously pre-covid killing hugging forever). That remains one of my best memories, despite said meltdown.

Awesome recap, thank you so much for writing!

As for frogs, our last trip one snuck on to my wife’s mask (it was sitting on top of the stroller) walking back to BCV on that side path and boy did that make for a “remember forever moment” when we got to the building and she put it on lol

My only experience with a pool slide at Disney is at Port Orleans, but the one at Old Key West was surprisingly fun. Despite almost having a wardrobe malfunction. It’s important to test new swimsuits prior to being in public.
This is good to know. I had my suspicions. When my friend came flying out of the sand castle opening, arms and legs flailing like Goofy, I had second thoughts about my bathing suit staying on... and thus have not gone down the slide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter