Split Stays- worth it??

Disney Kim

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any advice on a split stay??
If on the dining plan does it still save money if you have to buy an extra days ticket?? do they expire or could I save it untill next trip??
I have the 40% off for my whole trip now with Poly but Might stay the first part at PO (with free dine if it comes out).... Will that save money or is it a hassel to move resorts??

it is a hassle..you allways got in y9our head donnt get settled we got to move soon,,weve did it to save $$$por or to allstars just to see what the others were like,,but donnt feel right you always feel unsettled..i got to move to the new room on wed, or what ever,,but thats just me,,,i did it 2 times cbr ,to cornado,,,the same thing you got to ,move,,

We split a stay at poly and AKL. We loved being able to see both resorts, but is was a hassle. We had to pack everything up half way through the trip, move our luggage, and then unpack once we got to AKL. It really seemed to shorten our trip. One thing that did make it easier for us was that we had a car, so we put our luggage in the trunk, went to a park, and then checked in later in the afternoon. Disney will move your luggage for you, but you can end up waiting quite a while for it to be delivered.

How many days are you going to be there total? How many adults and kids are going?

* If you're in a garden room at the Poly, you are paying about $198 per night which is 40% off the rack rate of $330.

* The rack rate for POR standard view is $145. The cost of the one-day one-park ticket would be $71 per adult and $60 per child.

* You will save $53 per night in your hotel room, plus $39 per adult and $11 per child in the room in dining. Multiply that by the number of nights at POR and you get the total savings for all nights at POR. Then, subtract $71 per adult and $60 per child for the extra tickets you'll have to buy. Some people skip the last part because they will be using the tickets at a later time and don't consider it an expense for their current trip.

Is it a hassle? You bet it is. Like canron I like being at the same resort for the whole time. In addition, you may not be able to check into your new resort exactly when you want to and you may be "homeless" until 4:00 PM. Because of the hassle, I do not recommend a split stay for anything less than 4 days in each resort. I don't feel that 3 days is really enough time to enjoy a resort. You just get settled in and you have to leave. I would also recommend that you start with POR first and then move to the Poly. You can use your dining credits until midnight the day you check out.

I wanted to add one more thing. From your signature, I see that you have never stayed at a Deluxe resort so you have not had a chance to become a "Deluxe Resort Snob". What about skipping the Poly entirely and doing a moderate for the whole time? I really like CSR because it is a Moderate with a "Deluxe" feel. It has a great Counter Service restaurant (the best on Disney property, IMO) a sit-down restaurant and a kick-butt pool.

I see only two people in your avatar, so I am assuming it's just you and your DH. By staying at CSR (or POR) with free dining for your whole stay you would save $129 per night over the Polynesian paying for dining. A $129 per night is a whole other trip.

Its just me and DH.. We don't have any kids yet...
We are going for 7 nights eight days, so we would do 4 Nights at a mod and than 3 at Poly..

Hmmm.. I hate decisions!!!

I guess I have untill Thursday when FD comes out officially to really decide..

I worked it would it would save us about 550 US to split stay starting with a Mod.. I'm not to concerned about switching resorts.. Last year we did four days Disney and than a three day cruise and I liked the change of scenary...
I probably should stay at a mod the whole time but I got myself so excited about Poly!

We always stay at more than one resort on our trips. We are DVC members but dont use our points on the weekends. We really like staying at more than one resort on our trips. It gives a us chance to see which ones we really like.
Its very easy to change resorts. Just call bell services or take it to them and tell them which resort it is going to. Later that day your luggage will be at your new resort.

We've done it once due to Poly not having all our nights and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I said never again, this trip I plotted our 10 night stay, to save a few bucks, 4 nights PO and 6 nights WL. the savings was not enough to even consider doing this, like 100 bucks. Not worth the effort, we'll just stay all 10 nights at WL, no fuss no moving, no packing up. It's a real pain not to unload our suitcases when we check in on a split, we like to put away all our stuff, we're here for the duration and then pack it up to move, why? If we're interested in another resort, we'll stay there on another trip. we'll stay WL, totally enjoy the whole theme and atmosphere and never about living out of a bag or packing up to move. Everyone has their style, ours is to stay put and relax.

Its just me and DH.. We don't have any kids yet...
We are going for 7 nights eight days, so we would do 4 Nights at a mod and than 3 at Poly..

Me and DBF did a split stay last year at ASsp & the Dolphin. I have to disagree with everyone else and say it really wasn't that big of a hassle. We checked out of ASsp early, around 8:30 and asked them to transfer our luggage to the Dolphin for us, which they happily said 'yes' to. We then took a bus over to MGM and hoped on the boat to the Dolphin to check in (this took all of an hour or so). After we checked in, we walked over to Epcot for some lunch and to walk around World Showcase. When we got back our room was ready and the bellman brought our luggage up about 10 min later. It was very smooth and since you have no children with you I do not see how it will be much of a hassle! Just plan accordingly and everything should work out :thumbsup2

well I think I am going to do it!
I talked to DH about it and he isn't to bothered by moving resorts, I think it will be kinda fun...We will do the parks mostly the first half and than relax a little more at Poly. I don't know when I will get to stay at Poly again so I think I will do it!.. Plus we will have a car so maybe that will help
Now I just need to decide which Mod to stay at.....

As you can see from my signature, we have done a lot of split stays! No problems so far. We always go for at least 10 days though. If I were staying less than a week I probably wouldn't do a split.

When we rent DVC points, as someone else mentioned, it's cost effective to stay on weeknights and transfer somewhere else for weekends. We'd always stayed at just WL/VWL and were worried about trying a MOD, then worried about trying a Value. We loved both! But, we felt much better about trying them when we knew we weren't committing the entire vacation to an unknown resort. I think it's a great way to get a flavor of more WDW properties.

Maybe it's us, but the packing/repacking is NOT a big deal or a hassle. We pack fairly lightly as it is, so it's not as though we're repacking 8 suitcases or anything. DS is now 11, so we don't have to deal with the multitude of baby/toddler items either. We also always rent a car, so don't bother with WDW luggage transfers--which could potentially delay things.

Karla B.

We did split stays for years before DVC.

It was a great way to make staying at the deluxes more affordable.
We would usually do 3 nights in a moderate and 4 in a deluxe or 4 and 4 if we did an 8 night trip. We even split our DVC stays to get to stay at 2 resorts.

We found the luggage transfer easy and it was fun to go to the "new" resort.

now I will say...that after a few years of that we got tired of it and realized that we like to "move in" and stay at the same resort for the whole week. You are also without a room until the new room is ready...but that was never really an issue for us.

Thanks for all the advice!!

We are going to try the Slipt stay as long as free dining comes out..

Start with a MOD for four nights and than Poly for three nights, I think it will be fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter