Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why they're making it a 'sequel' to The Princess and the Frog and not just going with the original? I was looking forward to seeing songs and scenes from the original so a bit bummed about that. Wondering if it's because the original didn't do well at the box office, or it doesn't make sense with the 'drop' part of the ride, or this is just a new direction they're trying out with rides, or what.

I normally just read these forums without posting, but I made an account because I felt something was worth clearing up here. Some people in this thread keep mentioning that B'rer Rabbit is a "West African" folktale figure. This isn't quite right. It's true that elements of the B'rer Rabbit stories share story elements with the stories of Anansi the Spider, but they are not the same stories. For instance, in one Anansi story, Anansi captures a fairy by making a baby doll and coating it with gum, and the fairy gets mad at the baby and slaps it like B'rer Fox, but otherwise the context of the story is different. Ansasi has to capture the fairy as part of a series of tasks, kind of like Hercules. B'rer Rabbit makes the tar baby to escape from B'rer Fox, who is always trying to eat him. The way the baby works plays out similarly in both stories, and there's certainly some overlap, but the B'rer Rabbit stories aren't just the old Anansi stories with new characters.

When people from Africa were taken and sold into slavery as chattels, those who were from cultures where the Anansi stories were told probably shared those stories, and over the hundreds of years that they and their descendants were kept in chattel slavery, those stories probably morphed into the B'rer Rabbit stories. (I say "probably" because we do not have a great written record of these stories or other elements of the culture of enslaved Africans in America during this time, largely due to the fact that the people telling these stories were treated as property).

Those stories were first published by Joel Chandler Harris, in his book "The Tales of Uncle Remus." I'm not an expert here, but I think most people who study these things are pretty sure that Joel Chandler Harris really did get these stories from interviews with people, and didn't just make up the character of B'rer Rabbit himself.

We call the rabbit "B'rer Rabbit" because that's how Joel Chandler Harris thought it sounded when Black people said the word "brother." In "The Tales of Uncle Remus," Harris's book in which these stories were published for the first time, the narrator and the white child who befriends Uncle Remus talk like this:

"'Uncle Remus,' said the little boy one evening, when he had found the old man with little or nothing to do, 'did the fox kill and eat the rabbit when he caught him with the Tar-Baby?'"

But Joel Chandler Harris wrote Uncle Remus's dialogue in a way that he thought Black people talked, so Uncle Remus sounds like this when he responds to the boy's question above:

"Law, honey, ain't I tell you 'bout dat"I 'clar ter grashus I ought er tole you dat, but ole man Nod wuz ridin' on my eyelids twel a leetle mo'n I'd a dis'member'd my own name, en den on to dat here come yo' mammy hollerin' atter you. W'at I tell you w'en I fus' begin? I tole you Brer Rabbit wuz a monstus soon beas'; leas'ways dat's w'at I laid out fer ter tell you."

So all of this is just to say that I don't think "West African Cultural Ambassadors" would be very good at explaining the stories of B'rer Rabbit, unless maybe they had seen Song of the South or read the Joel Chandler Harris stories.
You're going with the Columbus factor though.

Bre'r Rabbit existed long before white guy Joel Chandler Harris "discovered" Br'er Rabbit.

I wonder why they're making it a 'sequel' to The Princess and the Frog and not just going with the original? I was looking forward to seeing songs and scenes from the original so a bit bummed about that. Wondering if it's because the original didn't do well at the box office, or it doesn't make sense with the 'drop' part of the ride, or this is just a new direction they're trying out with rides, or what.

Maybe as kind of a merge of IP overlay and creative new attraction story? One of my concerns was it’ll be a mediocre dark ride FF version of the movie shoehorned to fit the space like FEA.

A sequel gives more creative room?

Likely a "sequel story" will allow them to fit the PatF theming to the existing ride structure better than adapting the original movie storyline. The Disney Parks Blog announcement did say it would feature "some of the powerful music from the film", though, so I'm hopeful it won't all be entirely new!

Likely a "sequel story" will allow them to fit the PatF theming to the existing ride structure better than adapting the original movie storyline. The Disney Parks Blog announcement did say it would feature "some of the powerful music from the film", though, so I'm hopeful it won't all be entirely new!
I liken this to Frozen Ever After. The ride has aspects of the film but also new aspects.

I think it just gives them more creative freedom to not have to follow the story exactly. Plus the main characters spend a lot of the film as frogs and this lets them show off more of the characters as humans

I think it just gives them more creative freedom to not have to follow the story exactly. Plus the main characters spend a lot of the film as frogs and this lets them show off more of the characters as humans
I have a feeling it also gives them a chance to show off her dresses a little more... Which the kids will then want to wear. (She does have one of my favorite princess dresses, too.)

Frozen Ever After isn’t an exact retelling of the story. You’re on a journey to see Elsa in the Ice Palace. Along the way you hear the songs from the film.

The end scene is also from a sequel movie, right? Isn't it the summer adventure one? I only saw Frozen and Frozen II, lol.

I wonder if they'll ever do an update to include parts of Frozen II. I know they changed the meet & greet so it's now Spirit Elsa and Queen Anna. I don't expect them to, especially not any time soon, but who knows!

I have a feeling it also gives them a chance to show off her dresses a little more... Which the kids will then want to wear. (She does have one of my favorite princess dresses, too.)

YES!! Tiana has the best wardrobe! I'm always impressed she gets NINE outfits when she's only a human for ~20 minutes lol. I was so happy the artwork showed her blue dress, too. It doesn't get enough love.

The end scene is also from a sequel movie, right? Isn't it the summer adventure one? I only saw Frozen and Frozen II, lol.

I wonder if they'll ever do an update to include parts of Frozen II. I know they changed the meet & greet so it's now Spirit Elsa and Queen Anna. I don't expect them to, especially not any time soon, but who knows!

YES!! Tiana has the best wardrobe! I'm always impressed she gets NINE outfits when she's only a human for ~20 minutes lol. I was so happy the artwork showed her blue dress, too. It doesn't get enough love.

Yes! Frozen Fever I think?

The ride is a ride and I would hate to be Tony Baxter who is having to rework a ride that he conceived that is now deemed racist. that would be sad to me.

The parks are not museums.

And someone like Tony Baxter doesn’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to do. He retired 7 years ago and is an imagineering consultant, mentor and on the creative board. It’s awesome he’s going to be involved in the re-theme.

The parks are not museums.

And someone like Tony Baxter doesn’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to do. He retired 7 years ago and is an imagineering consultant, mentor and on the creative board. It’s awesome he’s going to be involved in the re-theme.

Obviously I can't get into his mind but he might be loving the opportunity to go bad and redo/improve on the ride and utilize the latest technology, etc

Having watched a tour of Disneyland Paris he gave (which he designed) he really seemed to try to learn what worked and what didn't from the prior castle parks and make DLP the best version of those parks ... So I am thinking he could apply that here too - "we now get to make this the best version of that attraction!"

I just...don’t know anymore. It’s not Disney’s place to educate the public on African-American history. Song of the South had nothing to do with the history of African Americans. If they want to create something in EPCOT and the Imagineers are POC, then I think that would be appropriate. But not MK.

I don’t know what race posters in this thread are, and I’m certainly not going to ask. But I’m willing to bet most are white people who are only thinking about how much they love Splash Mountain and not at all considering how it might make POC feel.

Perfect chance to introduce a new dress too!

What colors aren't as represented? A deep purple? Or deep orange/auburn?
Plus, think of the stuffies they could make... The toys! A little steamboat with the figures! Toy trumpets! Frog Prince books! The merchandise sells itself honestly. A good way to boost her merch sales for a relatively underappreciated princess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter