CONFIRMED! Splash Mountain REFURB: August 28 - November 16, 2017

Haha yes! Space and Big Thunder combined!

We're going like first week of September so I'm hoping maybe they end up pushing it back a couple weeks. Keep the hope!
I'm going that same week too and it is my absolute favorite ride. I literally ride Splash over and over when I spend some time by myself in MK. Aug/Sept is so hot, I can't imagine not having Splast Mt to go to cool off. :sad:

This one hurts a bit, it's my favourite MK attraction. Fortunately, we arrive on the 26th of August this year with MK planned our first day, so I will get one ride on there at least, so it's not horrible for us. I'm used to 2 major and usually 2 other non-major attractions down for refurb in our late August/early September trips. I get it because it is a slower season and if it's a long 2 - 3 month refurb, it allows them to have it back up before Thanksgiving/Christmas season, but it's still a bummer.

I'm telling you what their thinking is because that's what their thinking is. Rides have to go down from time to time.
It's not like there's someone in the executive suite slapping themselves in the forehead and saying "wow, that never occurred to me!".
Given that everything at WDW operations is related to something else and it all has to fit together like a big jigsaw puzzle across the entire property, it's a safe bet that if this rehab was moved from its usual time to one that seems at first glance to be a head-scratcher, there's a reason for it, even if that reason ultimately is something happening in the spring of 2019.

What if the other major attraction turns out to be Expedition Everest? Maybe they didn't want to take it down for refurb with the larger crowds expected for Pandora to open. This would take down a major attraction in the same park only 4 months after a major new land opens in that same park. So they do Splash this Fall and push Everest back further into next year.
Everest down when Pandora just opened = no problem. Doesn't impact anything.

I'd like to see some example then. I don't recall any time where Disney has had major attractions in the same park down at the same time..
Dude, how many rides are closed at DHS right now? Soarin and Maelstrom were both closed at this time last year. That is in the last 12 months.

I have been going to WDW multiple times/year longer than you have been alive. I remember many such instances. Many. The timing is stupid. Disney doesn't care. They aren't doing this to spread out refurbs. But believe what you want to believe.

ETA - and I love WDW more than you can imagine. I was there in January, will be there again in May for 2 weeks, in Sept for 2 weeks, and back again in January for 2 weeks. But love them as I do, I am capable of seeing them for what they are - a big corporation making $$$.

It's not like there's someone in the executive suite slapping themselves in the forehead and saying "wow, that never occurred to me!".
Given that everything at WDW operations is related to something else and it all has to fit together like a big jigsaw puzzle across the entire property, it's a safe bet that if this rehab was moved from its usual time to one that seems at first glance to be a head-scratcher, there's a reason for it, even if that reason ultimately is something happening in the spring of 2019.
Thank you

Dude, how many rides are closed at DHS right now? Soarin and Maelstrom were both closed at this time last year. That is in the last 12 months.

I have been going to WDW multiple times/year longer than you have been alive. I remember many such instances. Many. The timing is stupid. Disney doesn't care. They aren't doing this to spread out refurbs. But believe what you want to believe.

ETA - and I love WDW more than you can imagine. I was there in January, will be there again in May for 2 weeks, in Sept for 2 weeks, and back again in January for 2 weeks. But love them as I do, I am capable of seeing them for what they are - a big corporation making $$$.
One ride at DHS closed that's it.

I'll give you Soarin and Norway but that's a rare occurrence and at a park like MK where crowds are huge two major rides out at the same time is a problem.

I really don't think you understand that the planning for these refurbs is leading up to the 50th anniversary. There are dozens of attractions set to get major refurbs over the next three years for the 50th.

No matter when they do a refurb it's going to affect someone's vacation whether it's July, September, January or whenever. Would you rather have a ride with broken effects or a working one?

I always love when people have to bring my age into this.

One ride at DHS closed that's it.

I'll give you Soarin and Norway but that's a rare occurrence and at a park like MK where crowds are huge two major rides out at the same time is a problem.

I really don't think you understand that the planning for these refurbs is leading up to the 50th anniversary. There are dozens of attractions set to get major refurbs over the next three years for the 50th.

No matter when they do a refurb it's going to affect someone's vacation whether it's July, September, January or whenever. Would you rather have a ride with broken effects or a working one?

I think your posts may be coming across as informative, but with just a little "too bad, get over it" mixed in. I don't think you mean it that way, you just speak in facts, and some are emotional about their favorite ride being closed :)

I am in no way speaking for everyone!

Everest down when Pandora just opened = no problem. Doesn't impact anything.
EE down when Pandora just opened would be terrible, especially if AK moves to a tiered system. Crowds are going to be heavy at AK, so they need EE to absorb some of it.

If you can run the park better, apply for the job of refurb scheduler. Don't kill the messenger. Whatever Disney has been doing at WDW for the last 46 years obviously works.

I think your posts may be coming across as informative, but with just a little "too bad, get over it" mixed in. I don't think you mean it that way, you just speak in facts, and some are emotional about their favorite ride being closed :)

I am in no way speaking for everyone!
I don't intend to do that if I am. Obviously it's hard. I've been to Disney when major rides are closed like Soarin, Splash, and Test Track. I still had a great vacation though. I'd much rather have my favorite rides get fixed up so they are looking better for my next trip rather than not look good and maybe impact my experience.

I don't intend to do that if I am. Obviously it's hard. I've been to Disney when major rides are closed like Soarin, Splash, and Test Track. I still had a great vacation though. I'd much rather have my favorite rides get fixed up so they are looking better for my next trip rather than not look good and maybe impact my experience.

Of course! And when people digest this latest information, they'll get back to being excited about everything else. :)

If you can run the park better, apply for the job of refurb scheduler. Don't kill the messenger. Whatever Disney has been doing at WDW for the last 46 years obviously works.
First, I love @rteetz . We just disagree sometimes (usually when he is carrying Disney's water). He has been a gift to this board.

You can complain about the things that are important to you (and you do). I'll do the same. That's the way that these boards work.

I only brought it into it because you made it relevant by saying that you don't remember them ever doing it. That would make sense if you were older. It really doesn't at your age.

At any rate, I'll bow out. Those on both sides of this one aren't going to change their minds.

I'll give you Soarin and Norway but that's a rare occurrence . . . .
Even in that case, I don't see Maelstrom as a "major" attraction. My impression is that MK probably has four or five "major" attractions, and the others probably three each. Yes, this is subjective.

this is not to say that the "lesser" attractions aren't someone's favorite, and that their impact on park capacity isn't important, but I would have to stretch pretty hard to remember a time when a single park had multiple headliners, as I'm thinking of them, closed at the same time.

Another thing to consider in attraction refurbs is the particular tasks that have to be done. It isn't just about whether an attraction has water or not, but who are the people doing the work. "workers" and hardware aren't just generically interchangeable from job to job, they have particular skill sets that have to be managed and spread out across the array of tasks to be accomplished.

If the SM rehab that almost always happens in January was moved this year, someone had to have a reason for doing it.

Even in that case, I don't see Maelstrom as a "major" attraction. My impression is that MK probably has four or five "major" attractions, and the others probably three each. Yes, this is subjective.

this is not to say that the "lesser" attractions aren't someone's favorite, and that their impact on park capacity isn't important, but I would have to stretch pretty hard to remember a time when a single park had multiple headliners, as I'm thinking of them, closed at the same time.

Another thing to consider in attraction refurbs is the particular tasks that have to be done. It isn't just about whether an attraction has water or not, but who are the people doing the work. "workers" and hardware aren't just generically interchangeable from job to job, they have particular skill sets that have to be managed and spread out across the array of tasks to be accomplished.

If the SM rehab that almost always happens in January was moved this year, someone had to have a reason for doing it.
Definitely they are not both e tickets. Disney doesn't take down two e tickets at once.

I'm with ya.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter